|Single by Led Zeppelin|
|from the album Led Zeppelin|
|A-side||"Good Times Bad Times"|
|Released||10 March 1969(US)|
|Led Zeppelin singles chronology|
"Communication Breakdown" is a song by the English rock band Led Zeppelin, from their 1969 debut album Led Zeppelin. It was released as the B-side of "Good Times Bad Times", the group's first single in the US. A promotional video was released, with the group miming to the recording; it is included on the Led Zeppelin DVD (2003).
On the Led Zeppelin BBC Sessions, released in 1997, this song was featured three times, each with a slightly different improvisation by the musicians. Three live versions–taken from performances at the TV program Tous En Scene in Paris in 1969, at Danmarks Radio in 1969 and at the Royal Albert Hall in 1970–can also be seen on the Led Zeppelin DVD. "Communication Breakdown" The version of "Good Times Bad Times/Communication Breakdown" released on 15 April 2014, on iTunes, is from 10 October 1969 in Paris, on the European Tour of Autumn 1969.
The Dictators' bassist Andy Shernoff states that Page's guitar riff of rapid downstrokes in "Communication Breakdown" was an inspiration for the Ramones' guitarist Johnny Ramone's downstroke guitar style. Ramone stated in the documentary Ramones: The True Story that he built up skill at his downstroke playing style by playing the song over and over again for the bulk of his early career.
The song is noted for its usage in motion pictures, particularly in a military context. In episode "G.I. (Annoyed Grunt)" of The Simpsons, during a scene which shows military recruitment, a group of soldiers play the guitar riff of "Communication Breakdown". The song was also used in the film Small Soldiers.
Formats and track listings
See "Good Times Bad Times" single.
- Robert Plant – vocals
- Jimmy Page – guitars, backing vocals
- John Paul Jones – bass guitar, organ, backing vocals
- John Bonham – drums
- Case, George (2009). Jimmy Page: Magus, Musician, Man : An Unauthorized Biography. Backbeat Books. p. 125. ISBN 978-0-87930-947-3.
- Courtright, Kevin (2009). Back to Schoolin'. Xulon Press. p. 60. ISBN 978-1-61579-045-6.
- Hoskyns, Barney (2006). Led Zeppelin IV: Rock of Ages. Rodale. p. 26. ISBN 978-1-60961-695-3.
- Kot, Greg. "Led Zeppelin: Album Guide". Archived from the original on 1 March 2014.. Rolling Stone.
- Plant was later given a songwriting credit. ISWC T-070.027.657-8
- True, Everett (2002). Hey Ho Let's Go: The Story of The Ramones. Omnibus Press. p. 13. ISBN 978-1-8444-9413-2.
- Ramones : The True Story. Classic Rock Legends. B000CRSF6W.
- Pieslak, Jonathan R. (2009). Sound Targets: American Soldiers and Music in the Iraq War. Indiana University Press. p. 195. ISBN 0-253-22087-4.
- "Small Soldiers (1998) – Soundtracks". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- "The 1,001 Greatest Songs to Download Right Now!". Archived from the original on 1 November 2010.. Blender.