|Industry||Mass media (radio stations)|
|Denis O'Brien (owner)|
Lucy Gaffney (chairperson)
Adrian Serle (CEO)
Number of employees
Communicorp Media is a media holding company based in Ireland, owned by the Irish billionaire Denis O'Brien.
Communicorp Group Ltd was formed by Denis O'Brien in 1989. It launched its radio operations in Ireland that same year and entered the Czech Republic in 1992. It later[when?] added stations[which?] in Bulgaria, Estonia, Finland and Hungary. Based in Dublin, the company now owns radio stations including Ireland's Newstalk, Today FM, 98FM, SPIN 1038 and SPIN South West. O'Brien owns both of Ireland's independent (non-state-operated) national radio stations.
O'Brien's Communicorp was the highest bidder for Emap's Irish operations when that company decided to sell its radio stations, buying FM104, Highland Radio and Today FM on 14 July 2007. In October 2007, the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (BCI) approved Communicorp's proposed takeover of Today FM and Highland Radio, but not FM104. The deal was completed by January 2008. Due to a Competition Authority decision, Communicorp was required to sell-on FM104, which it did (to UTV Media) immediately upon its acquisition. O'Brien offloaded Highland Radio in mid-2008.
On 21 July 2008, a joint bid from Boxer TV Access and Communicorp, supported by BT Ireland, were successful in obtaining three digital terrestrial television multiplex contracts from the BCI. Boxer DTT Limited withdrew from its agreement to provide a DTT platform on 20 April 2009.
The group divested its assets in Latvia, Finland and the Czech Republic in 2012; Hungary in 2013.
On 6 February 2014, Communicorp announced it would be acquiring eight UK stations from Global Radio, subject to review by Ireland's Competition Authority. The stations were required to be sold off by the Competition Commission following Global's acquisition of GMG Radio in 2012. The formation of Communicorp UK on 1 April 2014, headquartered in Manchester, allowed Communicorp UK to be operated as a standalone entity.
The Bulgarian stations were sold in 2018.
In February 2021, Bauer Media Group announced it was to acquire the group - subject to regulatory approval.
- United Kingdom
- (All with the exception of XS Manchester under licence from Global Radio).
Communicorp have an interest in the digital and PR agency ICAN, and previously (through its subsidiary Demirca) also operated the online marketplace AppliancesDelivered.ie. The latter began as a magazine called 'Buy & Sell', and changed ownership several times, before being acquired in 2015 and rebranded in 2016. AppliancesDelivered.ie ceased operations in 2019.
- "Denis O'Brien's Communicorp to acquire Irish radio stations -Today FM, FM104 and Highland Radio - in €200m deal". Finfacts. 16 July 2007. Archived from the original on 1 June 2015.
- Byrne, Elaine (16 October 2011). "So who's afraid of Denis O'Brien? Enda Kenny is". Sunday Independent.
- "Emap sells radio stations to O'Brien". RTÉ News. 16 July 2007. Archived from the original on 5 March 2015.
- "O'Brien buys Emap radio stations in €200m deal". The Irish Emigrant. 18 July 2007. Archived from the original on 1 June 2015.
- "Blow for O'Brien's €200m radio bid". Irish Examiner. 9 October 2007. Archived from the original on 1 June 2015.
- Beesley, Arthur (9 October 2007). "Denis O'Brien cannot buy FM104 as part of €200m deal". The Irish Times. Archived from the original on 1 June 2015.
- Hancock, Ciarán (12 January 2008). "O'Brien seals €200m deal for Emap's three Irish radio outlets". The Irish Times. Archived from the original on 1 June 2015.
- "Denis O'Brien sells Highland Radio". The Irish Emigrant. 11 May 2008. Archived from the original on 1 June 2015.
- Hancock, Ciarán (12 January 2008). "O'Brien sells Highland Radio". The Irish Times. Archived from the original on 1 June 2015.
- "Communicorp CEO says advertising market is growing again". independent.
- Martin, Roy (6 February 2014). "Communicorp buys 8 Global stations". RadioToday. Retrieved 6 February 2014.
- "Communicorp sells Bulgarian radio stations". RadioToday. 22 June 2018. Retrieved 29 March 2020.
- Newstalk. "Bauer Media Audio to acquire Communicorp Group". Newstalk. Retrieved 25 February 2021.
- "Slowey steps down as Communicorp CEO". marketing.ie. Marketing Magazine. Retrieved 18 October 2019.
- "O'Brien shuts down online appliances retailer due to 'market forces'". Irish Times. 18 October 2019. Retrieved 18 October 2019.
Accounts for Demirca, the immediate Irish parent of AppliancesDelivered, show it had accumulated losses of about €5.5 million by the end of 2017
- "AdLib: Time to get set for Google Shopping". independent.ie. Independent News & Media. 16 February 2017.
AppliancesDelivered.ie [..is..] part of Denis O'Brien's Communicorp
- "Associated to offload 'Buy and Sell'". Irish Independent. 13 May 2007. Retrieved 3 May 2012.
- O'Faolain, Aodhan. "Liquidator seeks sale of 'Buy and Sell' to Demirca - Independent.ie". Independent.ie.
- People, Bray. "Newtown's Philip behind new online retailer AppliancesDelivered.ie - Independent.ie". Independent.ie.