Community (season 5)
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||13|
|Original release||January 2 –|
April 17, 2014
The fifth season of the television comedy series Community premiered on January 2, 2014, and concluded on April 17, 2014. The season consists of 13 episodes and aired on NBC on Thursdays at 8:00 pm ET as part of the network's "Comedy Night Done Right". The season features the return of series creator Dan Harmon as showrunner, as well as the exit of cast members Donald Glover and Chevy Chase from the series. John Oliver returned as Ian Duncan after a two-year hiatus. Jonathan Banks made his introduction to the series as Buzz Hickey, a criminology professor.
- Joel McHale as Jeff Winger
- Gillian Jacobs as Britta Perry
- Danny Pudi as Abed Nadir
- Yvette Nicole Brown as Shirley Bennett
- Alison Brie as Annie Edison
- Donald Glover as Troy Barnes
- Jim Rash as Dean Craig Pelton
- Ken Jeong as Ben Chang
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Prod.|
|85||1||"Repilot"||Tristram Shapeero||Dan Harmon & Chris McKenna||January 2, 2014||501||3.49|
|Jeff returns to Greendale a year after graduation to research a potential lawsuit after his practice goes under. While doing this, he finds out what has happened to his friends within the study group since his departure.|
|86||2||"Introduction to Teaching"||Jay Chandrasekhar||Andy Bobrow||January 2, 2014||502||3.49|
|Jeff begins his teaching job at Greendale and is shown the ropes by Professor Hickey, with whom he shares an office. While Jeff learns to adjust to the expectations of being on staff, Abed convinces the rest of the study group to take Professor Garrity's new class on whether Nicolas Cage is "good" or "bad".|
|87||3||"Basic Intergluteal Numismatics"||Tristram Shapeero||Erik Sommers||January 9, 2014||505||3.58|
|Jeff and Annie try to solve the case of the Ass Crack Bandit, who drops coins into people's pants. Though the suspect is quickly caught, Jeff believes that perhaps the real Bandit is still at large. Meanwhile, the team receives bad news about Pierce Hawthorne.|
|88||4||"Cooperative Polygraphy"||Tristram Shapeero||Alex Rubens||January 16, 2014||503||3.07|
|The study group undergo a polygraph test as part of the conditions of Pierce's will, but it soon turns sour as the group's secrets come to light, and Troy makes a major decision in order to satisfy the conditions of the bequeathing.|
|89||5||"Geothermal Escapism"||Joe Russo||Tim Saccardo||January 23, 2014||504||3.02|
|To honor Troy's last day at Greendale, Abed organizes a campus-wide game of "The Floor Is Lava."|
|90||6||"Analysis of Cork-Based Networking"||Tristram Shapeero||Monica Padrick||January 30, 2014||506||3.01|
|Annie and Hickey embark on a mission to start improving Greendale, but it soon turns into a labyrinthine chain of favors. Meanwhile, the rest of the gang help set up a dance, and Abed connects with a fellow student.|
|91||7||"Bondage and Beta Male Sexuality"||Tristram Shapeero||Dan Guterman||February 27, 2014||507||2.56|
|Jeff helps Professor Duncan try to win over Britta's affection. Abed and Hickey face off after Abed accidentally ruins some of Hickey's drawings, and Chang finds himself in the middle of a ghostly mystery.|
|92||8||"App Development and Condiments"||Rob Schrab||Jordan Blum & Parker Deay||March 6, 2014||508||2.79|
|The introduction of an app that allows people to rate others causes the campus to devolve into a caste-based society.|
|93||9||"VCR Maintenance and Educational Publishing"||Tristram Shapeero||Donald Diego||March 13, 2014||509||2.77|
|Jeff, Shirley, and Hickey discover a large stash of unused textbooks, but soon turn on each other when deciding the best way to sell them. Meanwhile, Annie and Abed decide they need a new roommate, and play an old-west themed VCR game to decide between Annie's brother Anthony or Abed's girlfriend Rachel.|
|94||10||"Advanced Advanced Dungeons & Dragons"||Joe Russo||Matt Roller||March 20, 2014||510||3.32|
|The study group organizes a game of Dungeons & Dragons so that Prof. Hickey can reconnect with his estranged son, Hank (David Cross).|
|95||11||"G.I. Jeff"||Rob Schrab||Dino Stamatopoulos||April 3, 2014||513||2.50|
|The entire group becomes part of the cast of a classic "G.I. Joe" cartoon from the 1980s.|
|96||12||"Basic Story"||Jay Chandrasekhar||Carol Kolb||April 10, 2014||512||2.56|
|When Greendale is appraised to be an asset instead of a liability, the school board immediately decides to sell it to Subway. Abed, Annie, and the Dean find a secret that may save the school, and Jeff must decide where his allegiance lies.|
|97||13||"Basic Sandwich"||Rob Schrab||Ryan Ridley||April 17, 2014||511||2.87|
|With Greendale hours away from sale, the group searches for the hidden lab of the school's first dean, believing there is a treasure there which can save the school.|
On May 10, 2013, NBC announced it had renewed the series for a fifth season, to consist of 13 episodes. The season does not feature original cast member Chevy Chase in a regular role, as he left the series near the end of the fourth season by mutual agreement between the actor and network. Chase does appear in a guest role during the first episode of the season, and the character's exit from the show is finalized in "Cooperative Polygraphy." Donald Glover, who portrays Troy Barnes, only appears in five of the thirteen episodes. Jonathan Banks appears in 11 of the season's 13 episodes as criminology professor Buzz Hickey. Rob Corddry reprises his role as lawyer Alan Connor in the season premiere. Walton Goggins guest stars in "Cooperative Polygraphy" as a mysterious man named Mr. Stone, "with a dangerous accusation, a tantalizing offer and a devious plan that will change the group forever." John Oliver, who played Professor Duncan throughout the first two seasons, reprises his role in season 5 for multiple episodes. Other guest stars in the season include Vince Gilligan, Mitchell Hurwitz, Tim Heidecker, Eric Wareheim, Brie Larson, Nathan Fillion, Robert Patrick, Paget Brewster, Kumail Nanjiani, Katie Leclerc, and Ben Folds. David Cross guest stars in an episode that serves as a sequel to season 2's "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons", playing Hank Hickey, the estranged son of Professor Hickey. B. J. Novak has a cameo in the second part of the two-part season finale.
Season 5 began shooting on August 19, 2013.
The fifth season has the return of series creator Dan Harmon as showrunner and executive producer after he was fired from the show after the end of the third season. Former writer-producer Chris McKenna also returned as an executive producer. Season 4 showrunners Moses Port and David Guarascio did not return for season 5, as their contracts were for one year. The only other returning writers are Andy Bobrow and Tim Saccardo. Meanwhile, Annie Mebane, Steve Basilone, Maggie Bandur, and Ben Wexler all departed to join The Michael J. Fox Show, while Megan Ganz joined Modern Family. Writers who joined for the fifth season include Parker Deay and Jordan Blum (American Dad!), Alex Rubens (Key & Peele), Ryan Ridley (Rick and Morty), Dan Guterman (The Colbert Report), and Matt Roller (Funny or Die). Other writers include Carol Kolb, Briggs Hatton, Clay Lapari, Erik Sommers, Monica Padrick and Donald Diego.
The fifth season received strongly positive reception from television critics and is considered an improvement over the previous season. The season received a Metacritic score of 80 out of 100 based on 15 reviews, signifying "generally favorable reviews". The season was also "Certified Fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes, with an approval rating of 93% and average score of 8.7/10, based on 25 reviews.
Verne Gay of Newsday gave the back-to-back episodes an "A" grade, remarking that the first of the two ("Repilot") was funny, while the latter ("Introduction to Teaching") was "simply hilarious." Alan Sepinwall, writing for HitFix, remarked that the show "is back, and back to being itself."
- Bibel, Sara (October 18, 2013). "'Ironside' & 'Welcome to the Family' Canceled by NBC; 'Community to Premiere January 2, 'Chicago P.D.' January 8". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on October 21, 2013. Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- Hibberd, James (May 12, 2013). "NBC fall schedule reveals big moves". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- Goldman, Eric (May 9, 2014). "Community Cancelled by NBC". IGN. Retrieved May 9, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 30, 2014). "'Community' Revived To Air On Yahoo In Fall With 13 Episodes". Deadline. Retrieved June 30, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (January 6, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'The Big Bang Theory', 'Two and a Half Men' & 'The Taste' Adjusted Up; 'The Millers' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on January 7, 2014. Retrieved January 6, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (January 10, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'The Big Bang Theory' & 'Parks and Recreation' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on January 10, 2014. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 17, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'American Idol' Adjusted Up; No Adjustments for 'The Michael J. Fox Show' or 'Community'". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on January 19, 2014. Retrieved January 17, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (January 24, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'The Vampire Diaries' & 'American Idol' Adjusted Up; 'Reign' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on January 27, 2014. Retrieved January 24, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 31, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Big Bang Theory', 'American Idol', 'The Taste', 'Vampire Diaries', 'Parks & Recreation', 'Two and a Half Men' Adjusted Up; 'The Millers', 'Elementary', & Reign' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on February 2, 2014. Retrieved January 31, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (February 28, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'The Big Bang Theory', 'Scandal', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'American Idol' & 'Parks & Recreation' Adjusted Up; 'The Millers' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on March 4, 2014. Retrieved February 28, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (March 7, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'The Big Bang Theory', 'Once Upon A Time in Wonderland', 'Parks and Recreation' & 'Elementary' Adjusted Up; 'The Millers' & 'Two and a Half Men' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on March 8, 2014. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 14, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Hell's Kitchen', 'Parks and Recreation' & 'Scandal' Adjusted Up; 'Reign', 'The Crazy Ones', 'Two and a Half Men' and 'The Millers' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on March 14, 2014. Retrieved March 14, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (March 21, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'The Vampire Diaries', 'American Idol', 'Hell's Kitchen' & 'Parenthood' Adjusted Up Plus Final NCAA Tournament Numbers". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on March 22, 2014. Retrieved March 21, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (April 4, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'The Big Bang Theory', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'Scandal' & 'Hell's Kitchen' Adjusted Up; 'American Idol', 'The Millers', 'The Crazy Ones' & 'Elementary' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on April 7, 2014. Retrieved April 4, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (April 11, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Community', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'Shark Tank', 'The Big Bang Theory' & 'American Idol' Adjusted Up; 'The Millers' & 'Elementary ' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on April 13, 2014. Retrieved April 11, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (April 18, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Grey's Anatomy' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on April 19, 2014. Retrieved April 18, 2014.
- Ausiello, Michael (May 10, 2013). "School's Not Out: NBC Renews Community". TVLine. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 21, 2012). "Chevy Chase Leaving NBC's 'Community'". Deadline.com. Retrieved November 22, 2012.
- Ausiello, Michael (July 8, 2013). "Community Season 5: Donald Glover Not Returning Full Time — Who's Gonna Tell Abed?". TVLine. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Goldman, Eric (August 20, 2013). "Breaking Bad's Jonathan Banks Joins Community". IGN. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- Schneider, Michael (September 4, 2013). "Exclusive: Justified's Walton Goggins to Guest-Star on Community". TV Guide. Retrieved September 5, 2013.
- Hayner, Chris (October 29, 2013). "Joel McHale: 'Community' Season 5 scripts are 'some of the best we've ever done'". Zap2it. Archived from the original on October 29, 2013. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- Snierson, Dan (November 4, 2013). "'Breaking Bad' creator Vince Gilligan to guest on 'Community' -- EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved November 4, 2013.
- Adalian, Josef (November 11, 2013). "David Cross Will Guest-Star on a Very Special Episode of Community". Vulture. Retrieved November 14, 2013.
- Snierson, Dan (February 5, 2014). "'Community': B.J. Novak to guest in season finale". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved February 5, 2014.
- Saccardo, Tim (August 19, 2013). "Lights, camera, #Community! First day of shooting on season 5!". Twitter. Retrieved August 19, 2013.
- Snierson, Dan (June 10, 2013). "'Community': Dan Harmon officially returning for season 5". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- Bobrow, Andy (June 10, 2013). "Yes it's finally official. Dan is back. Chris McKenna is back. I'm in too, as well as Tim Saccardo. Gonna make us some Community this year". Twitter. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- Zakarin, Jordan (January 3, 2013). "'Community' Writer Megan Ganz Heads to 'Modern Family'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- "NBC's 'Community' season 5: Who's joining Dan Harmon, Chris McKenna on staff?". CarterMatt.com. June 21, 2013. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- Harmon, Dan. "Writing Staff on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- Saccardo, Tim (August 27, 2013). "Dan has kindly updated the list of Community writers on Twitter". Reddit. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- "Community: Season 5". Metacritic. Retrieved January 1, 2014.
- "Community: Season 5 (2013)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved January 31, 2014.
- Gay, Verne (December 30, 2013). "'Community' season 5 premiere review: As good as it gets". Newsday. Retrieved January 1, 2014.
- Sepinwall, Alan (December 30, 2013). "Review: 'Community' returns to its old self with Dan Harmon back in charge". HitFix. Retrieved January 1, 2014.
- Lambert, David (May 27, 2014). "Community - Sony Sent Over a Press Release for 'The Complete 5th Season'". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Archived from the original on May 28, 2014. Retrieved May 27, 2014.
- "Community - Season 5 (DVD + UV Copy)". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved April 24, 2014.