Community (season 6)
|Community (season 6)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||13|
|Original network||Yahoo! Screen|
|Original release||March 17 –|
June 2, 2015
The sixth and final season of the television comedy series Community premiered on Yahoo! Screen on March 17, 2015, with a two-episode premiere, and concluded on June 2, 2015. The season consists of 13 episodes released weekly via Yahoo! Screen on Tuesdays. Yahoo! announced in June 2014 that it had picked up the series for a sixth season after NBC had canceled the series in May 2014.
- Joel McHale as Jeff Winger (13 episodes)
- Gillian Jacobs as Britta Perry (13 episodes)
- Danny Pudi as Abed Nadir (13 episodes)
- Alison Brie as Annie Edison (13 episodes)
- Jim Rash as Dean Craig Pelton (13 episodes)
- Ken Jeong as Ben Chang (13 episodes)
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date||Prod.|
|98||1||"Ladders"||Rob Schrab||Dan Harmon & Chris McKenna||March 17, 2015||602|
|Dean Pelton hires Francesca "Frankie" Dart (Paget Brewster) as a consultant to help improve Greendale, but her tactics create tension on campus.|
|99||2||"Lawnmower Maintenance and Postnatal Care"||Jim Rash & Nat Faxon||Alex Rubens||March 17, 2015||601|
|Britta discovers that her parents have been helping her financially from behind the scenes, while the Dean becomes obsessed with an expensive virtual reality system and Jeff seeks out the inventor, Elroy Patashnik (Keith David), to get a refund.|
|100||3||"Basic Crisis Room Decorum"||Bobcat Goldthwait||Monica Padrick||March 24, 2015||605|
|When City College plans an attack ad asserting that Greendale gave a degree to a dog, the group clashes over the best way to handle it.|
|101||4||"Queer Studies and Advanced Waxing"||Jim Rash & Nat Faxon||Matt Lawton||March 31, 2015||603|
|The Dean is offered a position on the school board but only as a token homosexual, Chang auditions for a theater version of The Karate Kid, and Abed and Elroy attempt to fix the school's Wi-Fi connection.|
|102||5||"Laws of Robotics and Party Rights"||Rob Schrab||Dean Young||April 7, 2015||604|
|Prisoners attend Greendale via telepresence robots, and Britta uses Abed so she can have a party, breaking Annie's rules.|
|103||6||"Basic Email Security"||Jay Chandrasekhar||Matt Roller||April 14, 2015||606|
|A hacker threatens to publish emails unless a scheduled appearance by a racist comic (Jay Chandrasekhar) is cancelled.|
|104||7||"Advanced Safety Features"||Rob Schrab||Carol Kolb||April 21, 2015||607|
|The dean is highly susceptible to a guerrilla marketing campaign by Britta's ex-boyfriend, Rick, who now works for Honda. Meanwhile, the group tries to become closer friends with Elroy. Greendale hosts an alumni dance and hires the band Natalie is Freezing to perform, while Elroy reveals he once dated the band's lead singer Julie (Lisa Loeb).|
|105||8||"Intro to Recycled Cinema"||Victor Nelli, Jr.||Clay Lapari||April 28, 2015||608|
|When a commercial starring Chang goes viral, the group tries to cash in by converting footage of a cop drama starring him into a sci-fi film.|
|106||9||"Grifting 101"||Rob Schrab||Ryan Ridley||May 5, 2015||609|
|The group is cheated and tries to get back at a grifter (Matt Berry) now teaching at Greendale.|
|107||10||"Basic RV Repair and Palmistry"||Jay Chandrasekhar||Dan Guterman||May 12, 2015||610|
|The group takes a road trip in Elroy's RV to deliver a giant fiberglass hand that Frankie forces Dean Pelton to sell, while Abed imagines the trip as a flashback-filled movie.|
|108||11||"Modern Espionage"||Rob Schrab||Mark Stegemann||May 19, 2015||611|
|Frankie's "Cleaner Greendale" initiative drives the school's paintball game underground as the group tries to discover the identity of a mysterious assassin.|
|109||12||"Wedding Videography"||Adam Davidson||Briggs Hatton||May 26, 2015||612|
|The group attends Garrett's wedding while Abed films it for a new documentary.|
|110||13||"Emotional Consequences of Broadcast Television"||Rob Schrab||Dan Harmon & Chris McKenna||June 2, 2015||613|
|With six years at Greendale completed, the group imagines what a hypothetical season seven would be like while discussing the uncertainty of life.|
On May 9, 2014, NBC announced that it had canceled Community. For several years prior to its cancelation, fans adopted the slogan "six seasons and a movie", a line from the episode "Paradigms of Human Memory" regarding Abed's hopeful legacy of NBC's short-lived series The Cape. Sony Pictures Television, the show's primary producer, was reported to have shopped the show to other networks and online distribution outlets, including Hulu and Comedy Central. Deadline Hollywood reported the low chance of such an outcome, with a revival deal from one unnamed suitor not likely to happen and creator Dan Harmon's enthusiasm for continuing on the show uncertain. On May 28, Deadline.com reported that Hulu was in talks with Sony Pictures TV to produce a new season of Community, with Harmon having a change of heart about the revival, saying, "I'm not going to be the guy that re-cancels cancelled Community." On June 24, TVLine reported that Hulu had ended talks with Sony Pictures TV, although The Wrap stated the report was incorrect. On June 30, the day the cast's contracts were due to expire, Yahoo! announced it had ordered a 13-episode sixth season to stream on Yahoo! Screen. The main cast return along with executive producers Dan Harmon, Chris McKenna, Russ Krasnoff and Gary Foster. Harmon said, "I am very pleased that Community will be returning for its predestined sixth season on Yahoo ... I look forward to bringing our beloved NBC sitcom to a larger audience by moving it online." For season six, the series moved shooting locations from Paramount Studios to CBS Radford, which is twice the size of the previous shooting set.
In August 2014, it was announced that the Russo brothers would direct the season premiere, however, this did not come to fruition. Writing began in September 2014, and filming began in November 2014. Episodes of the season were released weekly, as opposed to being released all at once. In September 2014, it was announced that Yvette Nicole Brown, who plays Shirley, would not return for season six due to a family emergency; however, Brown returned in guest appearances in "Ladders" and "Emotional Consequences of Broadcast Television". Paget Brewster and Keith David (Brewster previously guest-starred on the series as a different character and David provided a voice-over role) were cast as regulars for the season in November 2014; Brewster plays Francesca "Frankie" Dart, a consultant to help improve Greendale, and David plays Elroy Patashnik, a retired inventor who now searches to reinvent himself at Greendale. In November 2014, it was announced that Martin Mull and Lesley Ann Warren would guest star as Britta's parents, George and Deb Perry, in the second episode of the season. The cast and crew celebrated the making of their 100th episode on December 8, 2014.
In February 2015, Dan Harmon announced that Steve Guttenberg would guest star in an episode. In February 2015, it was confirmed that Billy Zane would play "a mysterious, nameless man scouting Britta for a unique talent" and that Travis Schuldt would return as Subway/Rick. In March 2015, the trailer for season 6 was released, and parodies the Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer in its logo, theme and coloring.
On March 15, 2015, it was announced that the series began filming a new "paintball" episode, "Modern Espionage", following the season one episode "Modern Warfare" and season two episodes "A Fistful of Paintballs" and "For a Few Paintballs More". Filming for season six ended on March 27, 2015.
On July 30, 2015, Joel McHale stated that Yahoo! "wanted to [make more seasons of Community], but all of [the actor's] contracts were up after six years." McHale later clarified his statement via Twitter, saying "Community is not canceled." Yahoo released a statement: "We've seen tremendous value in our partnership with Sony and are continuing to discuss future opportunities for Community." Harmon said he "could have said yes immediately" to season seven, but "given the actors' velocity and trajectory" decided in favor of "getting [the cast] back together for an awesome movie." On January 4, 2016, Yahoo announced it had shut down its Yahoo Screen service, after a $42 million write-down, with season 6 episodes being moved to Yahoo TV for continued public viewing.
The sixth season was released on DVD in region 1 on March 8, 2016. Special features included deleted scenes, a behind-the-scenes featurette on the making of the finale, trivia with the cast and crew, and a gag reel.
The sixth season has received positive reviews from critics. On Metacritic, it has a score of 78 out of 100 based on 12 reviews, indicating "generally favorable reviews". On Rotten Tomatoes, season 6 currently holds an 87% "Certified Fresh" approval rating from critics with an average rating of 7.7 out of 10. The consensus reads, "Despite cast and broadcast changes, Community manages to remain at the top of its quirky class."
On April 1, 2015, three weeks into the sixth season's run, Harmon detailed the series viewership on Yahoo! Screen. Exclaiming "Everybody in the world watches Community, now we know, now that we're not being measured by Nielsen [ . . . ] Surprise surprise you know, Yahoo knows how to count the clicks, and guess what? Holy shit! Jesus christ! Like you always knew!" Harmon stated he couldn't give specific numbers, saying "They have data, I'm not really asking, and they're not telling, but you know lips were loose at the drunken wrap party, enough for me to go 'holy shit. That's what I always would've guessed, times two or three'. I always knew there was like way more people watching this shit than what ever that .9 represented."
- Mitovich, Matt Webb (January 13, 2015). "Community Season 6 Gets Premiere Date on Yahoo! Screen (Watch Promo)". TVLine. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- "Comic Con: Yahoo Won't Binge Release 'Community'". Deadline Hollywood. July 24, 2014. Retrieved July 24, 2014.
- Hibberd, James (June 30, 2014). "'Community' saved! Yahoo orders sixth season". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved June 30, 2014.
- Goldman, Eric (May 9, 2014). "Community Cancelled by NBC". IGN. Retrieved May 9, 2014.
- O'Neal, Sean (March 26, 2014). "Talk has begun about making Community's six seasons and a movie a reality". The A.V. Club. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (May 9, 2014). "Six Seasons and a Movie? Nope- NBC Cancels Community". Indiewire. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- Evans, Bradford (March 26, 2014). "Amazingly, Community Might Actually Get Those Six Seasons and a Movie". Splitsider. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- Littleton, Cynthia (May 9, 2014). "'Community' Cancelled: NBC Ends Show After Five Seasons". Variety. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 11, 2014). "'Community' Unlikely To Go Elsewhere, Creator Dan Harmon Reacts To Cancellation". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 12, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 28, 2014). "Hulu Eyes New Season Of 'Community'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 29, 2014.
- Ausiello, Michael (June 24, 2014). "Community Resurrection Hopes Dim as Hulu Talks Collapse". TVLine. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Nededog, Jethro (June 24, 2014). "Insider: 'Community' Isn't Dead Yet, Hulu Still in Talks With Sony". The Wrap. Retrieved June 30, 2014.
- Sepinwall, Alan (January 13, 2015). "'Community' stars and Dan Harmon on the move to Yahoo: Press Tour live-blog". HitFix. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- Goldman, Eric (August 26, 2014). "Community: The Russo Brothers Directing the Season 6 Premiere". IGN. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- Polowy, Kevin (August 29, 2014). "'Community' Season 6 Scoop: Dan Harmon on Making His Beloved Show Even Better". Yahoo TV. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- Hughes, Jason (July 24, 2014). "'Community' Season 6 on Yahoo TV Coming 'After Christmas' and Not All at Once". The Wrap. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- Schneider, Michael (September 30, 2014). "Exclusive: Yvette Nicole Brown Departs Community". TV Guide. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- Surette, Tim (June 1, 2015). "Community: Yvette Nicole Brown Is Returning for the Finale". TV.com. Retrieved June 2, 2015.
- Schneider, Michael (November 10, 2014). "Exclusive: Community Hires Two New Series Regulars". TV Guide. Retrieved November 10, 2014.
- Franich, Darren (November 17, 2014). "'Community' has cast Britta's parents". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved November 17, 2014.
- Chan, Robert (December 9, 2014). "6 Seasons and a Cake Cutting: 'Community' Celebrates 100 Episodes". Yahoo TV. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- Harmon, Dan (February 9, 2015). ".@SteveGuttbuck is doing a guest role...@bcgoldthwait was doing his director's cut...so Tim Kazurinsky JUST, LIKE, APPEARED. #AcademyMagic". Twitter. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- Schneider, Michael (February 27, 2015). "Billy Zane, and His Thick Beard, to Guest Star on Community". TV Insider. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- Hipes, Patrick (March 3, 2015). "'Community' Trailer: Yahoo Joins Yahoos For Season 6". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 3, 2015.
- "Community - You want a new paintball episode? BECAUSE..." Facebook. March 15, 2015. Retrieved March 15, 2015.
- Rubens, Alex (March 27, 2015). "Last day of production on Community Season 6. WARNING: I am full of feelings, so there may be some earnest, unfunny tweets on the way". Twitter. Retrieved March 31, 2015.
- Shulman, Randy (July 30, 2015). "From Soup to Nuts: An interview with Joel McHale". Metro Weekly. Retrieved August 3, 2015.
- McHale, Joel (August 4, 2015). "Easy sugar-bear, Community is not canceled. #QuestionMarkSeasonsAndaMovie". Twitter. Retrieved August 8, 2015.
- Baysinger, Tim (August 6, 2015). "Joel McHale Sets the Record Straight About Community: It's Not Canceled". Adweek. Retrieved August 8, 2015.
- "Dan Harmon Dishes Community Movie Prospects, Confirms Big-Screen Title". TVLine. July 10, 2015. Retrieved August 8, 2015.
- Wallenstein, Andrew (January 4, 2016). "Yahoo Screen Shuttered: Video Service Hosted 'Community'; NFL Telecast". Variety. Retrieved January 4, 2016.
- "Community Season Six Availability". Tumblr. Retrieved March 12, 2015.
- Lee, Ben (February 25, 2015). "Community season 6 to air on broadcast TV in UK". Digital Spy. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- Stan.com.au (March 17, 2015). "HUMAN BEINGS OF AUSTRALIA: Season six of @CommunityTV is now streaming". Twitter. Retrieved March 18, 2015.
- CommunityTV (September 9, 2015). "Watch Season 6 with COMMUNITARY from creator @danharmon. Now streaming on @yahooscreen". Twitter. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- Lambert, David (January 28, 2016). "Community - Sony's Press Release for 'The Complete 6th (and Final?) Season'". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Archived from the original on January 31, 2016. Retrieved February 11, 2016.
- "Community : Season 6". Metacritic. Retrieved March 18, 2015.
- "Community: Season 6". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved March 25, 2015.
- "Episode: 141 – The Jews Abide". Harmontown. April 1, 2015. Retrieved April 26, 2015.