Community High School District 128
The Libertyville Township High School District was established in 1916; its Libertyville High School (LHS) was opened one year later. Libertyville Fremont Consolidated High School District 120 was established in 1949, but in 1963, a petition was filed to establish a high school district for the area served by LHS. The referendum was successful and LHS came under the jurisdiction of the new district and the Board of Education on July 1, 1964. The first superintendent of the new district was Walter Johnson. Under Johnson, additions to LHS's existing Butler Lake building were completed in 1971 and 1979. Johnson retired in 1980, and Dr. Donald Gossett was named superintendent. When he retired in 1998, Dr. David Clough was appointed as the new superintendent. In 1997, a referendum was passed to construct the new Vernon Hills campus, which opened to LHS freshmen in 1999 and officially became Vernon Hills High School in 2000. Dr. Clough retired in 2008 and was succeeded by Prentiss Lea.
Currently, the district serves students living within Green Oaks, Indian Creek, Libertyville, Mettawa, Mundelein, Rondout, Vernon Hills, and Waukegan.
Libertyville and Vernon Hills High Schools are both consistently recognized for their students' performance. Illinois State Board of Education data from the 2008-09 school year revealed that, out of the top 10-paying suburban high schools in the state, District 128 was the only district that met Adequate Yearly Progress. Additionally, Libertyville High School was ranked 3rd out of all suburban high schools for "students meeting and exceeding science standards." Overall, LHS and VHHS were ranked as the 5th and 18th, respectively, highest-performing suburban schools.
In December of 2009, U.S. News & World Report named both LHS and VHHS in its annual rankings of America's Best High Schools for the third straight year. Both schools received silver medal status, and were two of only six high schools in Lake County to be honored in the rankings.
- Superintendent: Dr. Prentiss Lea
- Associate Superintendent: Dr. Al Fleming
Board of Education
- President: Pat Groody
- Vice President: Judy Sugarman
- Secretary: Marsha Oberrieder
- Other members: Stephen Arthur; Alexander Delli Paoli, Jr.; Karin Lundstedt; Ellen Mauer
- Libertyville High School: Elizabeth Oldenburg
- Vernon Hills High School: Mansi Kathuria
- "District 128 History - District 128 High School". Retrieved 2009-05-25.
- "Attendance Boundary Map - District 128 High School". Retrieved 2009-05-25.
- "District 128 Schools Rank Among Top Suburban High Schools". Community High School District 128. 7 December 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-12.
- "LHS and VHHS Named Among U.S.News & World Report's Best American High Schools...". Community High School District 128. 11 December 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-12.[dead link]
- "District 128 Administrative Staff - District 128 High School". Retrieved 2009-05-25.
- "Board of Education - Members - District 128 High School". Retrieved 2009-05-25.
- "Members - Community High School District 128". Retrieved 2009-11-19.