Comodo Internet Security
Comodo Internet Security version 6.0 Premium on Windows XP
|Stable release||220.127.116.1103 (September 7, 2015[±][Note 1])|
|Operating system||Windows XP and later; with antivirus-only versions for Mac OS X, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, RHEL, Mint, CentOS, OpenSUSE|
|Platform||IA-32 and x64|
|Type||Antivirus, Personal firewall, Intrusion prevention system|
Comodo Internet Security (CIS), developed by Comodo Group, is an Internet security suite for Microsoft Windows. It includes an antivirus program, a personal firewall, a sandbox and a host-based intrusion prevention system (HIPS) called Defense+.
Comodo Internet Security (CIS) is available in three editions: Complete, Pro and a core free edition. The core edition is free and contains all security features of Pro. The Pro edition adds technical support. The Complete edition complements the feature set with encryption of transmitted data over the Internet connections and online storage for backup.
In CIS 5.0 cloud antivirus protection and spyware scanning capabilities were added. As it could not clean all the malware it found effectively, Comodo Cleaning Essentials was developed to supplement CIS.
Host-based intrusion prevention system: Comodo's host-based intrusion prevention system (HIPS), named Defense+, is designed to provide protection against unknown malware. It is designed to restrict the actions of unknown applications, and restrict access to important files, folders, settings and the Windows Registry. Defense+ by default refuses any unknown program to install or execute except when specifically allowed by the user or when the file appears on Comodo's whitelist. In CIS 4.0 a sandbox was added to Defense+ to isolate and run unknown applications.
CIS v6, released February 2013, provided a major revision of the user interface and significant new features such as a fully sandboxed desktop environment. On March 6, 2014 Comodo announced completion of beta testing for CIS v7.
Release 7 became official in April 2014. This release includes a new virus monitoring tool called Virus Scope and Web Filtering features that provide control over user access to web content.
Release 8 became official on November 3, 2014. It includes enhanced auto-sandboxing features.
Comodo Endpoint Security Manager (CESM)
Comodo Endpoint Security Manager (CESM) is a server product for centrally managing the security settings and security components of network endpoint computers. CESM manages the distribution and updates of antivirus and firewall software.
- On-premises endpoint security software solution
- Works with Linux, PC and Mac computers
- Handles security policies for firewalls, antivirus and encryption from a centralized console
- Quarantines all types of malware
- Sends out alerts in response to security breaches 
- Can scan networks and systems 24/7
- Comes with Wi-Fi security, power management and USB management tools
PC Magazine lead security analyst, Neil J. Rubenking, reviewed Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0 and Comodo Internet Security 3.5 on 3 November 2008, giving 4.5 out of 5 to the first and 2.5 to the second. He praised the suite's firewall capabilities but criticized its antimalware capabilities. On 28 May 2009, Roboert Vamosi of PC World reviewed Comodo Internet Security 3.8 and gave it a score of 1 out of 5, criticizing it for its "disappointing malware detection" based on AV-TEST result and "limited feature set".
Three years and three version later, Comodo Antivirus results became significantly better. On 30 January 2012, Rubenking reviewed Comodo Internet Security 2012 Pro (v5.0), giving it 4 stars out of 5. He praised its support service and antimalware features but was panned for its "effectively off by default" firewall, Defense+ popups, lack of parental control, antispam, antiphishing, and privacy protection features, and finally for the same old reason: "Low ratings from independent labs".
In a 9 January 2013 review, Techworld awarded Comodo Internet Security Pro 2013 4 of 5 stars and concluded "Cloud-based scanning and behaviour analysis joins a suite of top-notch security tools, designed to keep your PC secure. Recommended." Also on the same date, Mike Williams of BetaNews.com reviewed Comodo Internet Security Pro 2013 and concluded "The program remains too complex for total PC beginners, we suspect. The average user will appreciate its largely automatic operation, though, while experts enjoy the powerful tools and extreme configurability."
On 7 February 2013, Comodo Internet Security Complete v6 earned the PC Magazine Editor's Choice award. Reviewing the software again, Neil J. Reubenking gave it a score 4.5 of 5 stars, commended its support service, VPN solution, DNS service and value for price but criticized its behavior blocker and its poor anti-phishing capabilities. Reubenking concluded "The biggest win for Comodo Internet Security Complete 2013 isn't in features, but in support. The GeekBuddy service fixes any problem, security or otherwise, using remote assistance. A Virus-Free Guarantee reimburses you for damage if malware gets past Comodo; you can also get reimbursed for expenses related to identity theft. Add a GeekBuddy-powered tuneup tool and an unusually powerful backup utility and you've got a winner."
Independent test labs
AV-TEST, an anti-virus test lab based in Germany, tested Comodo. Products that surpass the industry standard (measured by the mean score of the participating products) are awarded a certificate. Comodo Internet Security participated in their tests since 2010, and for the first time in February 2013, Comodo Internet Security Premium version 6.0 obtained the AV-TEST certificate in the field of home products.
|(out of 6 points)|
|2010||Q4||104836||5||Windows Vista||32 bit||3||3.5||3|
|2011||Q1||110987||5.0 & 5.3||Windows 7||32 bit||4||3||3.5|
|2011||Q2||112298||5.3 & 5.4||Windows XP||32 bit||3.5||1.5||3|
|[table note 1][table note 2]||Protection||Performance||Usability|
|2013||Jan-Feb||130519||6.3||Windows 8.1||64 bit||3.5||3.5||3|
|2013||Mar-Apr||131497||6||Windows XP||32 bit||6||4||2.5|
|2013||May-Jun||132351||6.1||Windows 7||32 bit||6||5.5||3.5|
|2013||Jul-Aug||133133||6.2||Windows 7||64 bit||6||5||4|
|2013||Sep-Oct||134087||6.2 & 6.3||Windows XP||32 bit||6||3.5||4.5|
|2013||Nov-Dec||134991||6.3||Windows 8.1||64 bit||5.5||3.5||4|
|2014||Jan-Feb||140621||6.3||Windows 7||64 bit||5.5||4||4|
|2014||Mar-Apr||141490||6.3 & 7||Windows 8.1||64 bit||3||4||4.5|
|2014||May-Jun||142321||7||Windows XP||32 bit||4||4||4|
|2014||Jul-Aug||143190||7||Windows 7||32 bit||5.5||3.5||5|
|2014||Sep-Oct||144090||7||Windows 8.1||64 bit||6||5||5|
|2014||Nov-Dec||144955||7 & 8||Windows 7||64 bit||4||5||4|
- Table notes
- In 2013 AV-TEST changed the way they publish their tests; see Kaspersky, Eugene (2013-05-09). "One step forward, two steps back". Nota Bene: Notes, comment and buzz from Eugene Kaspersky – Official blog. Retrieved 2015-01-22.
The renowned German test lab AV-TEST has quietly modified its certification process. The important REPAIR (cleaning up existing infections) parameter for certification has been discarded. USABILITY (ease of use, performance, and number of false positives) now only refers to false positives. Given the current makeup of AV-TEST’s test criteria, false positives might just as well be included in the PROTECTION category to act as a counterbalance.
AV-TEST's rating process is explained at "AV-TEST Seal of Approval". av-test.org. AV-TEST. 2015. The Structure of the Test Report. Retrieved 2015-01-23.
- Apparently, there can be differences between 32- and 64-bit software versions; see "Self-Protection for Antivirus Software". av-test.org. AV-TEST. 2014-11-25. Retrieved 2015-01-23.
On 18 January 2013, Matousec, an independent tester of security software, analyzed 38 security products for their proactive defense capabilities and ranked Comodo Internet Security 2013 Premium (v6) number one. Comodo Internet Security 2013 was tested on Windows 7 SP1 with Internet Explorer 9 and passed 101 out of 110 tests (92%). It was also ranked number 1 in 2012.
- Release Notes are issued for most versions of Comodo Internet Security, and report the version number. However, since they are not issued for all releases, the only way to reliably determine the most recent version is to download the package.
- "Comodo Internet Security". www.comodo.com website. Comodo Group. December 29, 2010. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "Comodo Internet Security". Comodo website (www.comodo.com). Comodo Group. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Antivirus for Mac - Complete Virus Protection". comodo.com. Comodo Group. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- "Virus Protection - Comodo Antivirus for Linux". comodo.com. Comodo Group. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- "COMODO Internet Security: Free Download". Softpedia. SoftNews SRL. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- "Comodo Anti-Malware Database - Latest additions". Comodo website. Comodo Software. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- Comodo Internet Security. Comodo https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/internet-security-complete.php. Retrieved 4 September 2014. Missing or empty
- Mediati, Nick (3 May 2012). "Comodo Internet Security Premium 5.9 review". PC Advisor. IDG. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- Hickins, Michael (16 April 2009). "Microsoft Trying To Change Its Security Identity". BNET Technology Blog. Industry.bnet.com. Retrieved 27 May 2010.
- "Endpoint Security Manager". Retrieved 2014-01-30.
- "Endpoint Protection". Retrieved 2014-01-30.
- Rubenking,, Neil J. (18 December 2007). "Comodo Firewall Pro 3". PC Magazine. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- Rubenking,, Neil J. (3 November 2008). "Comodo Internet Security 3.5". PC Magazine. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- Vamosi, Robert (28 May 2009). "Comodo Internet Security Pro 3.8". PC World. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- Rubenking, Neil J. (30 January 2012). "Comodo Internet Security Pro 2012". PC Magazine. Ziff Davis. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- "Comodo Internet Security Pro 2013 (v6.1)". TechWorld. IDG. 9 January 2013. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- Williams, Mike (9 January 2013). "Comodo Internet Security Pro 2013 [Review]". BetaNews. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- Rubenking, Neil J. (7 February 2013). "Comodo Internet Security Complete 2013". PC Magazine. Ziff Davis. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- "Test Comodo Internet Security for Windows 8". av-test.org. AV-TEST. February 2013. Retrieved 2015-01-22.
- "Comodo Internet Security Premium 6.0.260739.2674" (PDF). Proactive Security Challenge 64 report. Matousec. 18 January 2013. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- "Proactive Security Challenge 64". matousec.com. Matousec. 18 January 2013. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- "Proactive Security Challenge". matousec.com. Matousec. 13 January 2012. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- Official website
- Matousec Software Firewall Test Rankings
- Snapfiles 2012 review of Comodo Internet Security
- Free Comodo Internet Security for Virus Protection