|Founder||Alfonso, Sabino and Ramón Valdés Cobián|
|Grace Marie Valdés|
|Products||Beer, Malta and Sodas|
The Compañía Cervecera de Puerto Rico (formerly known as Cervecería India) is a large brewery in Puerto Rico. It is located in Mayagüez, Puerto Rico. The company's main brand is Medalla Light.
The company was founded on November 2, 1937 by the brothers Valdés Cobián: Alfonso, Sabino and Ramón Valdés Cobián, in Mayagüez, the largest city on the west coast of Puerto Rico. The Valdés brothers were following the example of their father, Don Ramon Valdés, who had founded the Mayagüez Light, Power and Ice Company in 1910. In 1938, their first beer, Cerveza India, was released to the public. The company competed with two other native beer breweries, "Real" and "Cerveceria Corona" (Cerveceria Corona de Puerto Rico "subsequently sold its trademark rights to Cervecería Modelo de México, which then launched Cerveza Corona as Modelo's Corona Extra)." Alfonso, as chairman and president, successfully led his company converting it into Puerto Rico's largest beer brewery and manufacturer of canned and bottled soft drinks.
In the late 70s, the brewery was forced to expand its portfolio and produce a lighter beer with less calories than their Cerveza India. Until that time, India was the only alcoholic beverage producing plant in Mayagüez.
In 1985, their main competition, Corona, went bankrupt and left a free way to Cervecería India, which was in full swing after the release of its new product Medalla Light years before. In October 2009, the brewery reverted its name to "Compañía Cervecera de Puerto Rico".
The company works to promote the art and culture of Puerto Rico.
The company's main product is Medalla Light, a 4.2% abv pale lager. The brewery also produces Malta India, a non-alcoholic soft drink made from barley. In 1940, it began producing Orange Crush and Old Colony sodas. In May 2010, the brewery announced the launch of their new beer, Silver Key Light, which hit the market on June 1, 2010. They launched Magna, a premium beer, on August 1, 2011. On November 5, 2019 Cerveza India who was their first beer was relaunch as a limited edition.
- "Beer Me! — Breweries in Puerto Rico, United States". beerme.com. Archived from the original on 2009-09-25. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- "Puerto Rico Breweries Directory". ratebeer.com. Archived from the original on 2008-09-21. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- "Medalla Light - El Sabor Que Nos Mueve". www.medallalight.com. Archived from the original on 2010-02-14. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- "Historia de una cerveza nativa". El Nuevo Dia (in Spanish). April 20, 2008. Archived from the original on January 14, 2019. Retrieved November 30, 2021.
- "Top 60 Family Business Leaders 2014". Campden FB. February 25, 2014. Archived from the original on April 14, 2021. Retrieved November 30, 2021.
- Diaz, Marian (May 13, 2017). "Cambio de mando en Cervecera de PR". El Nuevo Día (in Spanish). Retrieved 30 November 2021.
- "Medalla Light y Alexis Díaz unen esfuerzos para aportar al arte y cultura puertorriqueña" (in Spanish). August 8, 2019. Archived from the original on September 6, 2019. Retrieved November 30, 2021.
- "Medalla Light from Cerveceria India - Ratebeer". ratebeer.com. Archived from the original on 2009-05-15. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- Rivera Cruz, Yalixa (2010-05-19). "Lanzan cerveza boricua". El Nuevo Dia (in Spanish). p. 42. Archived from the original on 2010-05-22. Retrieved 2010-05-19.
- "Lanzan la primera cerveza premium boricua". El Nuevo Día (in Spanish). Puerto Rico: El Nuevo Día. 2011-08-01. Archived from the original on 2012-01-13. Retrieved 2011-08-01.
- Media related to Compañía Cervecera de Puerto Rico at Wikimedia Commons
- Official site Compañía Cervecera of Puerto Rico