Companies Commission of Malaysia
The Companies Commission of Malaysia (Malay: Suruhanjaya Syarikat Malaysia), abbreviated SSM, is a statutory body formed under an Act of Parliament that regulates corporate and business affairs in Malaysia. The SSM was formed in 2002 under the Companies Commission of Malaysia Act 2001, assuming the functions of the Registrar of Companies and Registry of Business.
The main purpose of SSM is to serve as an agency to incorporate companies and register businesses as well as to provide company and business information to the public. The commission launched SSM e-Info Services to allow information on companies and businesses obtainable via its website.
As the leading authority for the improvement of corporate governance in Malaysia, the commission also handles monitoring and enforcement activities to ensure compliance with business registration and corporate legislation.
In 2003, the SSM began a review of the Companies Act 1965, with the aim of simplifying the process of incorporation in Malaysia and reducing businesses' costs of compliance with Malaysian corporate law.
Acts and regulations that SSM operates under are listed as below:
- Companies Commission of Malaysia Act 2001 (Act 614);
- Companies Act 1965 (Act 125);
- Registration of Businesses Act 1956 (Act 197);
- Trust Companies Act 1949 (Act 100);
- Kootu Funds (Prohibition) Act 1971 (Act 28);
- Act A1299 COMPANIES (AMENDMENT) ACT 2007
Any subsidiary legislation made under the Acts specified above such as: Companies Regulations 1966; and Registration of Businesses Rules 1957.
- Commercial Applications of Company Law in Malaysia (3rd ed.). CCH Asia. p. 48. ISBN 981-4228-34-6. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- "Review of Companies Act underway", Daily Express, 5 August 2003, retrieved 11 March 2010
- Official website
- Licensed Company to register new company in Malaysia
- Company Registration in Malaysia
|This Malaysia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This government-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|