Company Man (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Music by||David Lawrence|
|Edited by||Camilla Toniolo|
|Box office||$146,193 (US)|
Company Man is a 2000 comedy film written and directed by Peter Askin and Douglas McGrath. The film stars McGrath, Sigourney Weaver, John Turturro, Ryan Phillippe, Alan Cumming, Anthony LaPaglia, Woody Allen, and Denis Leary as "Officer Fry". Bill Murray had a cameo appearance in the film that was cut before the film's release.
In the 1960s, Alan Quimp is a schoolteacher of English grammar and married to the very demanding Daisy Quimp. In order to avoid the constant mockery in Daisy's family, Alan says that he is a secret CIA agent. Daisy tells everybody, the CIA acknowledges the lie, but due to a coincidence, Alan has just helped and hidden the professional Russian dancer Petrov who wanted to leave Russia. The CIA decides to hire Alan as an agent, to get the credit for bringing Petrov to the USA, and immediately decides to send him to a very calm place, Cuba.
- Alan Cumming as General Batista
- Anthony LaPaglia as Fidel Castro
- Denis Leary as Officer Fry
- Douglas McGrath as Alan Quimp
- John Turturro as Crocker Johnson
- Sigourney Weaver as Daisy Quimp
- Ryan Phillippe as Rudolph Petrov
- Jeffrey Jones as Senator Biggs
- Paul Guilfoyle as Officer Hickle
- Heather Matarazzo as Nora
- Meredith Patterson as Marilyn Monroe
- Tuck Milligan as President Kennedy
- Woody Allen (uncredited) as Lowther
- Jason Antoon (uncredited) as Croupier
- Bill Murray (cameo, deleted scene)
The film grossed $146,193 on a $16 million budget.
Rotten Tomatoes reports that 14% of 63 surveyed critics gave the film a negative review; the average rating was 3.4/10. The consensus states: "A flat and misconceived movie with big stars." On Metacritic, the film has an 18/100 rating, indicating "overwhelming dislike". Lisa Nesselson of Variety called it "consistently silly, occasionally funny but mostly forced".
- Company Man at the Internet Movie Database
- Company Man at AllMovie
- Company Man at Box Office Mojo
- Company Man at Rotten Tomatoes
- Company Man at Metacritic
|This film article about a 2000s comedy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|