Company of Thieves (band)
Company of Thieves
Company of Thieves performing in March 2009 with former bassist Bob Buckstaff.
|Origin||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Genres||Indie rock, alternative rock|
|Years active||2007–2014 * 2017-present|
Company of Thieves were an American indie rock group from Chicago, Illinois, United States. The band was founded by Genevieve Schatz (vocals) and Marc Walloch (guitar). Their first album, Ordinary Riches, was released independently on May 29, 2007. After signing with Wind-up Records the album was digitally re-released on January 6, 2009. A CD release was made available on February 24, 2009. Their second album, Running from a Gamble, was released on May 17, 2011. The band announced they had no plans to record any new music as of January 9, 2014, but announced a reunion on May 22, 2017.
They have been featured as an iTunes Discovery Download for their song "Oscar Wilde", as well as in their Indie Spotlight: Rock/Alternative – featuring the album alongside the recommended track, "Pressure".
In January 2009, Genevieve and Marc appeared on "Live From Daryl's House", Daryl Hall's monthly Internet concert, as Company of Thieves. They performed "Pressure", "Even In The Dark", "Past the Sleep" and "Around The Block" from their debut album, along with Hall & Oates songs "Starting All Over Again" and "Everytime You Go Away", as well as other covers. They also performed on Last Call with Carson Daly in February.
Their second album, Running from a Gamble, was released on May 17, 2011. The lead-off single, "Death of Communication", was released on March 15, 2011.
The band went through several line-up changes during its history. They began as a trio with founding members Genevieve Schatz and Marc Walloch alongside drummer Mike Ortiz. In 2011 Ortiz posted a formal letter to his fans on the official website of Company of Thieves stating his decision to depart from the band. Chris Faller (former bassist of The Hush Sound) was used as bassist on Company of Thieves' last album, "Running from a Gamble". Faller played drums for the band's live performances after Mike Ortiz left along with bassist Marcin Sulewski. On their 2012 tour, Company of Thieves appeared with Chris Faller as bassist on stage along with a new drummer, Matt Rullo. Eitan Bernstein did not play keyboards on the second album, but toured with the band as the official keyboardist.
On January 9, 2014, an official e-mail was sent by Genevieve confirming that there were no plans to record any further Company of Thieves albums.
On May 21, 2017, Company of Thieves updated their Facebook page with a new band photo of Schatz, Walloch, Faller, and another photo with "Company of Thieves Fall 2017" confirming a reunion. A reunion tour in September 2017 was announced in July, as well as a forthcoming single.
On July 28, 2017, a new single entitled "Treasure" was made available for download. An 11-city tour ran from Tuesday, September 12 in Indianapolis, IN, to September 30 in Los Angeles. Walloch stated in an interview with axs.com that the band intended to work on writing music for new singles/an EP after the reunion tour finished and future tours would follow. The band will be supporting WALK THE MOON on their Press Restart Tour.
- Mike Maimone - Keys
- Brendan McCusker - Drums
- Dorian Duffy – Bass Guitar
- Mike Ortiz - Drums
- Scott Heatherly - Keyboards
- Jimmy Ratke - Drums
- Brad Sawicki - Bass
- Mike Maimone - Keys
- Bob Buckstaff - Bass
- Marcin Sulewski - Bass
- Eitan Bernstein – Keys
- Matt Rullo - Drums
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions|
|Running from a Gamble||
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
|2009||"Oscar Wilde"||Ordinary Riches|
|2011||"Death of Communication"||Running From a Gamble|
|2011||"Tallulah"||Running From a Gamble|
The Acoustic EP (2007)
- "About Company of Thieves". Sonicbids. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "Wind-Up Announce Signing Of Company Of Thieves". Pluginmusic.com. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "COMPANY OF THIEVES ORDINARY RICHES TO DEBUT AT NUMBER 5 ON BILLBOARD HEATSEEKERS CHART". Thedeadhub.com. Archived from the original on 6 July 2013. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "Welikeit.indie » company of thieves". Welikeit.indie. Archived from the original on 1 July 2012. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "ARTIST INDEX" (PDF). Billboard.com. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "New York Songwriters Circle Launches 2008 Contest". BMI.com. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
-  Archived May 7, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- "Company of Thieves Announce Reunion Tour | Music Connection Magazine". Musicconnection.com. Retrieved 2020-03-19.
- "In Good Company". NBC Chicago Street Team. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "Company of Thieves Album & Song Chart History - Billboard 200". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved April 10, 2011.
- "Company of Thieves Album & Song Chart History - Alternative Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved May 27, 2011.
- "Company of Thieves Album & Song Chart History - Heatseekers Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved April 10, 2011.
- "Company of Thieves Album & Song Chart History - Rock Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved May 27, 2011.
- "11th Annual Independent Music Award Winners announced". Indpeendentmusicawards.com. Retrieved 27 November 2014.