Compaq Presario V6000
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Compaq Presario V6000 is a series of widescreen 15.4'' laptop computers, manufactured by Hewlett Packard. It includes the V6000z series based on AMD processors such as the mobile Sempron and the dual core Turion X2, and V6000t based on Intel processors. There have been repeated reliability issues with the AMD based v6000z laptops. The fan algorithm in the BIOS was misconfigured causing overheating and damage to the wireless cards and the motherboard. In late 2007 HP extended the limited warranty to cover these defects. However that date is limited to 2 years from the purchase of the product. If the computer shows no faults until after that 2-year period Hewlett Packard will not repair it, despite the fault being of their own cause. In Australia this resulted in action by the Queensland Office of Fair Trading against Hewlett Packard for misrepresenting customers' rights, resulting in an agreed AU$3 million settlement.
The computer is available with the following processors:
- AMD Sempron (3500+, 1800 MHz) 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor (Compaq Presario V6000 (RX947AV)
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TK-53 (1.7 GHz, 512 kB L2 cache) (Compaq Presario V6520)
- AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-50 (1.6 GHz, 256 kB L2 cache) (Compaq Presario V6133EU)
- AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-52 (1.6 GHz, 512 kB L2 cache)
- AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-56 (1.8 GHz, 512 kB+512 kB L2 cache) (Compaq Presario V6642EA)
- AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-58 (1.9 GHz, 512 kB+512 kB L2 cache) (Compaq Presario V6608)
- Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 (2.0 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache) (Compaq Presario V6530)
Max screen resolution: 1280x800 (either NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 or Intel X3100 depending on cpu family or NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M)
Memory expandable to 2 GB of memory Built in wireless LAN receiver (Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG or Broadcom)
Some were equipped with 802.1g Bluetooth. Which was powered by HP software.
- Microsoft Windows XP Home (32-bit)
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional (32-bit)
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit)
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
Upgrade to Windows Vista Business (32-bit) is possible.
Complaints and Defects
- The Left hinge would potentially crack and the screen would end up breaking (eventually)
- Overheating of the processor would cause damage to the Motherboard and/or the wireless card and Bluetooth, HP is giving a free repair (on selected models only) for these faults. It is recommended that you update the BIOS before potential defects occur
- Faulty BIOS could potentially ruin the system and cause it to fail and not switch on
These problems were reported on many HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop computers as well.
- Timson, Lisa (July 8, 2013). "Warranty fail: HP hit with $3 million penaltyl". Sydney Morning Herald. Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2016-12-20.