|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (October 2015)|
|Type of business||Privately held|
|Type of site||Price comparison service|
|Available in||French, Dutch, Finnish, Flemish|
|Founder(s)||Ben Kerkhof, Jean-Paul Southout, Tjibbe de Jong|
|Key people||Mark Gaasbeek (CEO), Joris Verwater (CMO), Robert Bollaart (CFO), Maarten Janssen (CTO)|
Vergelijk.nl was founded in 1999 by Ben Kerkhof, Jean Paul Soethout and Tjibbe de Jong and was the first price comparison website in the Netherlands. In 2000, Vergelijk.nl co-founder Ben Kerkhof started Vertaa.fi, a price comparison website based in Finland. Business was expanded to Belgium in 2002 with the start of Vergelijk.be and in 2006 Vergelijk.nl acquired Dutch competitor Elcheapo.nl.
Early 2015 Vergelijk.nl launched their omni-channel localised price comparison service in which not just products and offers from webshops are compared but also those of the traditional brick & mortar merchants.
Compare Group was founded shortly after the acquisition of Elcheapo.nl in 2006, in order to centralize the management of the different labels. Since the founding of the Compare Group, business was expanded further to France and French-speaking Belgium with the foundation of Comparer.fr and Comparer.be in 2009. Ben Kerkhof has been the CEO of Compare Group since its foundation till August 2016. Mark Gaasbeek has been the CEO since September 2016.
Although Compare Group provides some insights in monthly visitor amounts, it does not publish exact visitor numbers. However it is known that in 2004 Vergelijk.nl welcomed its 20 millionth visitor since its founding in 1999 and passed the 40 million visitors mark in 2006.
- Comparestreet.co.uk, a price comparison website based in England. The website was founded in 2002 and discontinued in 2006.
- Adultcompare.nl, a website aimed at comparing prices of erotic and adult products which was founded in 2002. It was discontinued as a separate project in 2004 when it was integrated in Vergelijk.nl.
- Superdagdeal.nl, a website founded in 2010. Superdagdeal.nl focused on offering one special deal which lasted for 24 hours. The website was sold in 2011 to GoldenExperience.
- Check Magazine, a print magazine by BesteProduct.nl, Vergelijk.nl, Independer.nl and Zoover, was introduced in 2008 and wrote mainly about trends and developments in online shopping. Check Magazine was discontinued after three issues due to a lack of subscribers and advertisement revenue.
- July 2014: The Vergelijk.nl shopping cart: Vergelijk.nl’s take on a marketplace was discontinued because of lack of interest and usage by both the merchants and its visitors;
- January 2015: Early 2015 Vergelijk.nl decided to strengthen the brand name of Vergelijk.nl in the Dutch market. Its brand ElCheapo.nl was conflicting with this so the decision was taken to discontinue this website;
- 2003: Arbalet - Belgian comparison competitor Arbalet was acquired in 2003. Its activities were incorporated and continued in Vergelijk.be. Arbalet ceased to exist as a separate entity.
- 2004: Consumerdesk.nl - Consumerdesk.nl was acquired along with other assets from the bankrupt company Cedron.
- 2006: Elcheapo.nl - Competing price comparison website Elcheapo.nl was acquired from De Telegraaf in 2006. No details on the acquisition have been disclosed.
Vergelijk.nl’s business model consists of three main revenue drivers:
- Lead generation for web shops using a cost per click model.
- A monthly subscription fee for the traditional brick & mortar merchants.
- A cost per sale model which provides Vergelijk.nl a percentage of the order value for every order placed on Vergelijk.nl's websites. Although Vergelijk.nl receives the orders, the actual processing of orders is done by web shops. Web shops receive the order value subtracted by Vergelijk.nl’s compensation.
- In 2014 Vergelijk.nl decided to terminate their marketplace /cost per sale model.
Consolidated revenue of Compare Group:
|Year||Revenue (in million €)||Growth|
No figures on profits or losses have been published by Compare Group.
- 2011: Comparer.fr was elected in the top 10 favorite French comparison sites.
- 2012: Vergelijk.nl won the High Growth Award of its region.
- 2013: Vergelijk.nl was nominated for the Best Comparison Website Award at the Dutch Thuiswinkel Awards.
Vergelijk.nl - Compare Group's comparison websites:
- 40 miljoen bezoekers voor Vergelijk.nl
- Nieuwe vergelijkingssite voor erotische producten
- Vergelijk.nl verkoopt Superdagdeal aan GoldenExperience
- Vergelijk.nl verkoopt site flash sales
- Prijsvergelijkers stappen samen in papieren magazine
- Vergelijkingssites stappen uit papieren magazine
- Consumentenmagazine Check stopt voorlopig
- Prijsvergelijkingssite Vergelijk.be neemt Arbalet over
- Vergelijk.nl neemt ook deel boedel Cedron over
- Vergelijk.nl met shopping Beslist.nl te snel af. This model has been discontinued as of July 2014. 
- Classement NetObserver® des sites préférés des internautes français
- High Growth Awards winnaars 2012
- Genomineerden Thuiswinkel Awards XL 2013