Comparison of disk cloning software
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
- Hiren's BootCD
- SystemRescueCD — includes PartImage, ntfsclone and FSArchiver
- Trinity Rescue Kit — includes PartImage and ntfsclone
- Sector-by-sector transfer involves accessing the disk directly and copying the contents of each sector, thus accurately reproducing the layout of the source disk.
- File-based transfer, (as opposed to sector-by-sector transfer,) involves opening all files and copying their contents, one by one. It requires the cloning utility to have a knowledge of the file systems on the source disk. The target disk's layout may not resemble that of the source disk.
- Hot transfer refers to copying the contents of a volume on which there are open files in use. Implies use of Shadow Copy or such techniques.
- Extracting is the process of browsing a disk image and retrieving some of the files that it contains, one users choice. Mounting a disk image is the process of make the disk image content available to the user as if he or she is accessing a physical read-only disk.
- Acronis True Image can detect and identify Linux partitions and prompt user to switch to sector-by-sector mode.
- There is no Live OS dedicated specially to dd. However Live CDs of various flavors of Linux should include dd as a part of coreutils. In general this applies also to Linux-based rescue CDs (although they may not provide dd explicitly as their primary tool, they still may give access to a shell which allows dd invocation).
- There is no ready-to-use Live CD with this utility. It does come bundled with Mindi-Linux which is a small Linux distribution that can be used to create a customized Live CD.
- There is no Live CD dedicated specially to this utility. However, it is present on several rescue CD's together with other software.
- "Datasheet – True Image 2013 by Acronis". Acronis. 7 August 2012. Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- Clonezilla home page (includes supported filesystems and other info)
- "Norton Ghost". Symantec. Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- "GParted Live CD". Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- About ntfsclone
- ntfsclone(8) man page
- Partimage home page
- Partimage supported filesystems
- Partition-Saving manual
- PING HowTo
- PING FAQ