Comparison of online charity donation services in the United Kingdom
The page is a comparison of online charity donation services in the UK.
|Company||Profit-making Activity?||Commission||Card Processing Fee||Other Fees||Source|
|Total Giving||No||0%||Charity PayPal fees (1.4%+20p)||None|||
|Justgiving||Yes||5% including on gift aid||£0.13||£15+VAT/month|||
|Virgin Money Giving||No||2% excluding gift aid||£0.16||£100+VAT start-up fee|||
|everydayhero||Yes||4.25% excluding gift aid||£0.16||None|||
|PayPal||Unknown||1.4% (on domestic donations to non-profits)||£0.20||None|||
|Localgiving.com||No||5% including Gift Aid||£0.32||£60+VAT/year|||
|Bmycharity||Unknown (BMY Limited hosts the service and is for-profit)||0%||£0.16||£150 (+VAT?) start-up fee|||
|UK Toremet||No||5% including on GiftAid||PayPal fees||None|||
Note: With Total Giving the money is paid directly and instantly from the donor to the charity, no money is handled. The charity also claims its gift aid through the system with the money being paid to them direct by HMRC, Total Giving does not act as an agent.
The table below gives examples of the various transaction fees for a £10 donation using each organisation, assuming they claim back the tax for the charity using gift aid. (Remember that charities may also be charged set-up fees and monthly fees as detailed above.)
|BT MyDonate||Justgiving||Virgin Money Giving||everydayhero||PayPal||Localgiving.com||Bmycharity|
|Tax reclaimed (Gift Aid)||£2.50||£2.50||£2.50||£2.50||£0.00 (Charities may reclaim directly with HMRC)||£2.50||£2.50|
|Commission||None||£0.64 (= 5% of 10 + 2.5)||£0.20 (= 2% of 10)||£0.14 (=1.4% of 10)||£0.42 (=4.25% of 10)||£0.63 (= 5% of 10 + 2.5)||£0.00|
|Card processing fee||£0.15||£0.13||£0.16||£0.16||£0.20||£0.32||£0.16|
|Charity receives||£12.35||£11.73||£12.14||£12.08||£9.66 (£12.16 including directly reclaimed Gift Aid)||£11.55||£12.34|
- "See the difference". Total Giving. Retrieved 2015-05-25.
- "JustGiving for Charities. Pricing and joining". JustGiving. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Cost of fundraising and registering your charity with us". Virgin Money Giving. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "everydayhero membership. Benefits and FAQs.". everydayhero. Retrieved 2015-02-24.
- "Accept donations through PayPal". PayPal. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Localgiving.com - Our fees". Localgiving.com. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "For Charities". Bmycharity. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Become a Recipient Agency". UK Toremet. Retrieved 2013-07-23.