Comparison of professional wrestling and mixed martial arts
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2018)
Professional wrestling and mixed martial arts (also known as MMA) both combine grappling and strikes. In MMA, fights are competitions, in contrast to professional wrestling where the outcomes and moves performed are often scripted or predetermined. Despite this difference, several people have competed in both professional wrestling and MMA.
Professional wrestling could be considered a performance art which combines athletics with theatrical performance. Matches are contested on a pre-determined basis, where the fight on display is merely for entertainment purposes. Viewers are integral to a professional wrestling match, as the audience is who the action is for. Professional wrestling mixes many styles of amateur wrestling, striking and showmanship to display a fight, whilst the two performers work together to achieve a "worked" fight. Professional wrestling was first popularized in the 19th century Europe as a carnival attraction.
Mixed Martial Arts, is a hybrid of many types of physical full-contact sports; including wrestling, boxing and Martial Arts, such as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. The early 1990s saw the Ultimate Fighting Championship popularize the term "Mixed Martial Arts", for such a bout. Competitors in MMA are generally skilled in many different styles, however, it is possible to be only proficient in one type of combat. As some professional wrestling moves are simply worked versions of legitimate holds, there can be a crossover between the two.
Possibly the most successful crossover pro wrestler and MMA competitor is Brock Lesnar, who has won the world championships in both the WWE and UFC. Other wrestlers to have won world championships in both MMA and Pro Wrestling include Bobby Lashley (Shark Fights Heavyweight Championship as well as the Impact Global Championship, the ECW Championship and the WWE Championship), and UFC Hall of Famers Dan Severn and Ken Shamrock, who won the UFC Superfight Championship and the NWA World Heavyweight Championship.
Since MMA's rise to prominence in the 1990s, some pro wrestlers or MMA fighters have been cynical against the other's profession. This can be an attack on the sport as a whole, or acting as a fan dismissing certain actions within that sport.
MMA records of professional wrestlers
Below is a list of professional wrestlers to have appeared in an official Mixed Martial Arts match, and their career win/loss record.
|Jeslen Mishelle Saenz (aka Desi Derata)||USA||2||0||0|| |
- Barthes, Roland (1957). "The World Of Wrestling". Mythologies. Retrieved 2008-03-21.
- Hanstock, Bill (November 12, 2017). "An MMA Fighter Won A Fight With A Shoot Dragon Sleeper". Uproxx.com. Retrieved January 3, 2018.
- Michael McAvennie (2003). "WWE The Yearbook: 2003 Edition". Pocket Books. p. 200.
- Spade, Bobby (September 2, 2008). "Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Couture". NoDQ.com. Archived from the original on September 6, 2008. Retrieved September 2, 2008.
- Ordoñez, Milan (December 19, 2017). "Jim Ross: Fans are 'jonesing' for Lesnar's UFC return because MMA is lacking superstars right now". Bloody Elbow Magazine. Retrieved January 3, 2018.
- Gerweck, Steve. "Bobby Lashley wins MMA title in Lubbock". Gerweck.net. Archived from the original on December 7, 2012. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- "TNA Impact Wrestling Results (8/11): Damien Sandow TNA Debut, Titles Vs. Title, Lashley Vs. Storm".
- Burke, Tim (Dec 18, 2017). "Daniel Cormier disses pro wrestling spots, gets into Twitter beef with Cody Rhodes". Bloody Elbow Magazine. Retrieved January 3, 2018.
- Akebono Sherdog profile
- Yoji Anjo Sherdog profile
- Shinya Aoki Sherdog profile
- Phil Baroni Sherdog profile
- Katsuhisa Fujii Sherdog profile
- Kazuyuki Fujita Sherdog profile
- Masakatsu Funaki Sherdog profile
- "Rodney Glunder – Sherdog". Sherdog.
- "Gerard Gordeau – Sherdog". Sherdog.
- Tim Sylvia Sherdog profile
- Frank Trigg Sherdog profile
- "Paul Varelans – Sherdog". Sherdog.
- Melissa Cervantes Sherdog profile
- Sherdog.com. "Jeslen Mishelle Saenz MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography - Sherdog.com". Sherdog. Retrieved 2021-01-04.
- "Desi Derata wins first MMA fight | | Squared Circle Sirens". Retrieved 2021-01-04.