Comparison of vector graphics editors
This article possibly contains original research. (September 2020)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2020)
A number of vector graphics editors exist for various platforms. Potential users of these editors will make a comparison of vector graphics editors based on factors such as the availability for the user's platform, the software license, the feature set, the merits of the user interface (UI) and the focus of the program. Some programs are more suitable for artistic work while others are better for technical drawings. Another important factor is the application's support of various vector and bitmap image formats for import and export.
The tables in this article compare general and technical information for a number of vector graphics editors. See the article on each editor for further information. This article is neither all-inclusive nor necessarily up-to-date.
Some editors in detail
- Adobe Fireworks (formerly Macromedia Fireworks) is a vector editor with bitmap editing capabilities with its main purpose being the creation of graphics for Web and screen. Fireworks supports RGB color scheme and has no CMYK support. This means it is mostly used for screen design. The native Fireworks file format is editable PNG (FWPNG or PNG). Adobe Fireworks has a competitive price, but its features can seem limited in comparison with other products. It is easier to learn than other products and can produce complex vector artwork. The Fireworks editable PNG file format is not supported by other Adobe products. Fireworks can manage the PSD and AI file formats which enables it to be integrated with other Adobe apps. Fireworks can also open FWPNG/PNG, PSD, AI, EPS, JPG, GIF, BMP, TIFF file formats, and save/export to FWPNG/PNG, PSD, AI (v.8), FXG (v.2.0), JPG, GIF, PDF, SWF and some others. Some support for exporting to SVG is available via a free Export extension. On May 6, 2013, Adobe announced that Fireworks would be phased out.
- Adobe Flash (formerly a Macromedia product) has straightforward vector editing tools that make it easier for designers and illustrators to use. The most important of these tools are vector lines and fills with bitmap-like selectable areas, simple modification of curves via the "selection" or the control points/handles through "direct selection" tools. Flash uses Actionscript for OOP, and has full XML functionality through E4X support.
- Adobe FreeHand (formerly Macromedia Freehand and Aldus Freehand) is mainly used by professional graphic designers. The functionality of FreeHand includes flexibility of the application in the wide design environment, catering to the output needs of both traditional image reproduction methods and to contemporary print and digital media with its page-layout capabilities and text attribute controls. Specific functions of FreeHand include a superior image-tracing operation for vector editing, page layout features within multiple-page documents, and embedding custom print-settings (such as variable halftone-screen specifications within a single graphic, etc.) to each document independent of auxiliary printer-drivers. User-operation is considered to be more suited for designers with an artistic background compared to designers with a technical background. When being marketed, FreeHand lacked the promotional backing, development and PR support in comparison to other similar products. FreeHand was transferred to the classic print group after Macromedia was purchased by Adobe in 2005. On May 16, 2007, Adobe announced that no further updates to Freehand would be developed but continues to sell FreeHand MX as a Macromedia product. FreeHand continues to run on Mac OS X Snow Leopard (using an Adobe fix) and on Windows 7. For macOS, Affinity Designer is able to open version 10 & MX Freehand files.
- Adobe Illustrator is a commonly-used editor because of Adobe's market dominance, but is more expensive than other similar products. It is primarily developed consistently in line with other Adobe products and such is best integrated with Adobe's Creative Suite packages. The ai file format is proprietary, but some vector editors can open and save in that format. Illustrator imports over two dozen formats, including PSD, PDF and SVG, and exports AI, PDF, SVG, SVGZ, GIF, JPG, PNG, WBMP, and SWF. However, the user must be aware of unchecking the "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" option if he or she desires to generate interoperable SVG files.
- Affinity Designer by Serif Europe (the successor to their previous product, DrawPlus) is non-subscription-based software that is often described as an alternative to Adobe Illustrator. The application can open Portable Document Format (PDF), Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Illustrator files, as well as export to those formats and to the Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) and Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) formats. It also supports import from some Adobe Freehand files (specifically versions 10 & MX).
- Apache OpenOffice Draw is the vector graphics editor of the Apache OpenOffice open source office suite. It supports many import and export file formats and is available for multiple desktop operating systems.
- Boxy SVG is a chromium-based vector graphics editor for creating illustrations, as well as logos, icons, and other elements of graphic design. It is primarily focused on editing drawings in the SVG file format. The program is available as both a web app and a desktop application for Windows, macOS, Chrome OS, and Linux-based operating systems.
- Collabora Online Draw is the vector graphics editor of the Collabora Online open source office suite. It supports many import and export file formats and is accessible via any modern web browser, it also supports desktop editing features, Collabora Office is available for desktop and mobile operating systems, it is the enterprise ready version of LibreOffice.
- ConceptDraw PRO is a business diagramming tool and vector graphics editor available for both Windows and macOS. It supports multi-page documents, and includes an integrated presentation mode. ConceptDraw PRO supports imports and exports several formats, including Microsoft Visio and Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Corel Designer (originally Micrografx Designer) is one of the earliest vector-based graphics editors for the Microsoft Windows platform. The product is mainly used for the creation of engineering drawings and is shipped with extensive libraries for the needs of engineers. It is also flexible enough for most vector graphics design applications.
- CorelDRAW is an editor used in the graphic design, sign making and fashion design industries. CorelDRAW is capable of limited interoperation by reading file formats from Adobe Illustrator. CorelDRAW has over 50 import and export filters, on-screen and dialog box editing and the ability to create multi-page documents. It can also generate TrueType and Type 1 fonts, although refined typographic control is better suited to a more specific application. Some other features of CorelDRAW include the creation and execution of VBA macros, viewing of colour separations in print preview mode and integrated professional imposing options.
- Dia is a free and open-source diagramming and vector graphics editor available for Windows, Linux and other Unix-based computer operating systems. Dia has a modular design and several shape packages for flowcharting, network diagrams and circuit diagrams. Its design was inspired by Microsoft Visio, although it uses a Single Document Interface similar to other GNOME software (such as GIMP).
- DrawPlus, first built for the Windows platform in 1993, has matured into a full featured vector graphics editor for home and professional users. Also available as a feature-limited free 'starter edition': DrawPlus SE. DrawPlus developers, Serif Europe, have now ceased its development in order to focus on its successor, Affinity Designer.
- Edraw Max is a cross-platform diagram software and vector graphics editor available for Windows, Mac and Linux. It supports kinds of diagram types. It supports imports and exports SVG, PDF, HTML, Multiple page TIFF, Microsoft Visio and Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Embroidermodder is a free machine embroidery software tool that supports a variety of formats and allows the user to add custom modifications to their embroidery designs.
- Fatpaint is a free, light-weight, browser-based graphic design application with built-in vector drawing tools. It can be accessed through any browser with Flash 9 installed. Its integration with Zazzle makes it particularly suitable for people who want to create graphics for custom printed products such as T-shirts, mugs, iPhone cases, flyers and other promotional products.
- Figma is a collaborative web-based online vector graphics editor, used primarily for UX design and prototyping.
- GIMP, which works mainly with raster images, offers a limited set of features to create and record SVG files. It can also load and handle SVG files created with other software like Inkscape.
- Inkscape is a free and open-source vector editor with the primary native format being SVG. Inkscape is available for Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, and other Unix-based systems. Inkscape can import SVG, SVGZ, AI, PDF, JPEG, PNG, GIF (and other raster graphics formats), WMF, CDR (CorelDRAW), VSD (Visio) file formats and export SVG, SVGZ, PNG, PDF, PostScript, EPS, EPSi, LaTeX, HPGL, SIF (Synfig Animation Studio), HTML5 Canvas, FXG (Flash XML Graphics) and POVRay file formats. Some formats have additional support through Inkscape extensions, including PDF, EPS, Adobe Illustrator, Dia, Xfig, CGM, sK1 and Sketch. The predecessor of Inkscape was Sodipodi.
- Ipe lets users draw geometric objects such as polylines, arcs and spline curves and text. Ipe supports use of layers and multiple pages. It can paste bitmap images from clipboard or import from JPEG or BMP, and also through a conversion software it can import PDF figures generated by other software. It differentiates itself from similar programs by including advanced snapping tools and the ability to directly include LaTeX text and equations. Ipe is extensible by use of ipelets, which are plugins written in C++ or Lua.
- LibreOffice Draw is the vector graphics editor of the LibreOffice open source office suite. It supports many import and export file formats and is available for multiple desktop operating systems. The Document Foundation with the help of others is currently developing Android and online versions of the LibreOffice office suite, including Draw.
- Microsoft Expression Design is a commercial vector and bitmap graphics editor based on Creature House Expression, which was acquired by Microsoft in 2003. It was part of the Microsoft Expression Studio suite. Expression Design is discontinued, and is no longer available for download from Microsoft. It runs on Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and 8, and on Windows 8.1 and 10 released after it was discontinued.
- Microsoft Visio is a diagramming, flow chart, floor plan and vector graphics editor available for Windows. It is commonly used by small and medium-sized businesses, and by Microsoft in their corporate documentation.
- OmniGraffle, by The Omni Group, is a vector graphics editor available for Macintosh. It is principally used for creating flow charts and other diagrams. OmniGraffle imports and exports several formats, including Microsoft Visio, SVG, and PDF.
- PhotoLine is mainly a raster graphics editor but also offers a comprehensive set of vector drawing tools including multiple paths per layer, layer groups, color management and full color space support including CMYK and Lab color spaces, and multipage documents. PhotoLine can import and export PDF and SVG files as well as all major bitmap formats.
- sK1 is a free and open-source cross-platform vector editor for Linux and Windows which is oriented for "prepress ready" PostScript & PDF output. The major sK1 features are CMYK colorspace support; CMYK support in Postscript; Cairo-based engine; color management; multiple document interface; Pango-based text engine; Universal CDR importer (7-X4 versions); native wxWidgets based user interface. sK1 can import postscript-based AI files, CDR, CDT, CCX, CDRX, CMX, XAR, PS, EPS, CGM, WMF, XFIG, SVG, SK, SK1, AFF, PLT, CPL, ASE, ACO, JCW, GPL, SOC, SKP file formats. It can export AI, SVG, SK, SK1, CGM, WMF, PDF, PS, PLT, CPL, ASE, ACO, JCW, GPL, SOC, SKP file formats.
- SaviDraw, by Silicon Beach Software, is a modern vector drawing program for Windows 10. It is available only from the Microsoft app store. It is designed to work well with touch screens - no functions require keyboard modifiers. It features a new way to draw vector curves (very different from the traditional Pen tool) and has voice-command shortcuts.
- Sketch is a commercial vector graphics application for macOS.
- SketchUp is a free vector graphics program with a paid pro-version. SketchUp is focused primarily on 3D sketching, with many features specifically designed to simplify architectural sketching. Google integrated an online model sharing database called 3D Warehouse to allow sharing of 3D sketches. SketchUp was purchased by Trimble on 1 June 2012.
- Synfig Studio (also known as Synfig) is a free and open-source 2D vector graphics and timeline-based computer animation program created by Robert Quattlebaum. Synfig is available for Linux, Windows, macOS. Synfig stores its animations in its own XML file format, SIF (uncompressed) or SIFZ (compressed) and can import SVG.
- VectorStyler by Numeric Path is a professional vector graphics app, currently in advanced beta, available for both macOS and Windows 10 systems. It offers a comprehensive set of vector drawing tools, vector-based brushes, shape and image effects, corner shapes, mesh and shape-based gradients, collision snapping, multi-page documents, and full color space support including CMYK. The application can open Portable Document Format (PDF), Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG), Adobe Illustrator, EPS and also Adobe Photoshop files, as well as export to those formats.
- WinFIG is a shareware Editor with crossplattform. It use the Format of Xfig.
- Xara Photo & Graphic Designer and Designer Pro (formerly Xara Xtreme and Xtreme Pro) are vector graphics editors for Windows developed by Xara. Xara Photo & Graphic Designer has high usability compared to other similar products and has very fast rendering. Xara Photo & Graphic Designer (and earlier product ArtWorks) was the first vector graphics software product to provide fully antialiased display, advanced gradient fill and transparency tools. The current version supports multi-page documents, and includes a capable integrated photo tool making it an option for any sort of DTP work. The Pro version includes extra features such as Pantone and color separation support, as well as comprehensive web page design features.
- Xara Xtreme LX is a partially open source version of Xara Photo & Graphic Designer for Linux.
- Xfig is an Xlib, open source editor started by Supoj Sutanthavibul in 1985, and maintained by various people. It has a technical library.
This table gives basic general information about the different vector graphics editors:
|Software||Company||First Released||Latest Version||Date||Cost (USD)||License|
|Adobe Illustrator||Adobe Systems||1987||CC 2021 (25.2.3)||2021-04-30||$19.99 / month (1 year contract) or $29.99 / month||Proprietary|
|Affinity Designer||Serif Europe||2014||1.9.3||2021-04-13||$49.99 Windows and $19.99 for iPad||Proprietary|
|Apache OpenOffice Draw||Apache Software Foundation||2000||4.1.10||2021-05-04||No cost||Apache-2.0|
|Boxy SVG||Jarosław Foksa||2013||3.42.4||2020-08||$9.99 in app stores or $9,99 monthly subscription||Proprietary|
|Collabora Online Draw||Collabora Productivity||2016||6.4.8 (23 April 2021)||2021-04-23||No cost when using the Collabora Online Development Edition (CODE).
For enterprise support 17Euro/user/year up to 99 users, then discounts apply.
|ConceptDraw PRO new: ConceptDraw Diagram||CS Odessa||1999||14||2020-10||$199||Proprietary|
|CorelDRAW||Corel||1989||2021 (23)||2021-03-09||$499 or $249 annual subscription (includes Photopaint)||Proprietary|
|Dia||The GNOME Project||1998||0.97.3||2014-09-05||No cost||GPL-2.0-or-later|
|Edraw Max||EdrawSoft||2004||9.4||2020-03||No cost, $99 premium subscription||Proprietary|
|Embroidermodder||Embroidermodder Team||2004||1.70||2012||No cost||v2: Zlib|
|EazyDraw||Dekorra Optics||2003||9.5.2 (2020-01), 1.1.0 iOS||2020-01||$95 (trial version available at no cost; other prices)||Proprietary|
|Figma||Figma||2016||2020-05-19||2020-05-19||No cost, $12, and $45 monthly subscription tiers||Proprietary (freemium)|
|Karbon||KDE Calligra Suite (CS)||2012||3.2.0 CS 3.2.2||2020-04-19||No cost||LGPL-2.0-or-later|
|Inkscape||Inkscape Team||2003||1.1 (uniconvertor with 0.92.x)||2021-05-24||No cost||GPL-3.0-or-later|
|LibreOffice Draw||The Document Foundation||2011||184.108.40.206||2021-05-06||No cost||MPL-2.0|
|Macromedia FreeHand||Adobe Systems||1988||MX (11)||2003||$399, $99 upgrade||Proprietary|
|Microsoft Visio||Microsoft||1992||16.0||2019||$560, $350 upgrade (Pro), $260, $130 upgrade (Standard)||Proprietary|
|OmniGraffle||The Omni Group||2000||7.18.1 (2020-12-13) for OS X, 3.15.3 for iOS (2020-12-13)||2020-12-13||Standard: $99, Pro: $199, iPad $49 (Pro:$99) USD||Proprietary|
|Pencil2D||Pascal Naidon, Patrick Corrieri||2005||0.6.6||2021-02-17||No cost||GPL-2.0-only|
|PhotoLine||Computerinsel GmbH||1995||22.51||2021-01||€59, €29 upgrade||Proprietary|
|SaviDraw||Silicon Beach Software||2019||1.1||2019-06||$19.99 ||Proprietary|
|sK1||sK1 Project Team||2009||2.0RC4||2019-05-27||No cost||GPL-3.0-or-later|
|SketchUp||Trimble (previously owned by Google; originally by Last Software)||2013||21.0||2020-01||SketchUp Make 2018: No cost for non-commercial use only, Pro: $495||Proprietary Freemium|
|SVG-edit||The SVG-edit community||2009||5.1.0||2019-11-16||No cost||MIT|
|Synfig||Synfig Team||2005||1.4.1||2021-05-09||No cost||GPL-2.0-or-later|
|VectorStyler||Numeric Path||2021||1.0.029 RC3||2021||See https://www.vectorstyler.com/||Proprietary|
|Xara Designer Pro+||Xara||1995||2020||2018-10||$299.00||Proprietary|
|Xfig||Xfig Team||1985||3.2.8a||2021-03-27||No cost||xfig|
Operating system support
This table lists the operating systems that different editors can run on without emulation:
|Software||Windows||macOS||Unix and Linux||iOS||Android|
|Adobe Illustrator||Yes||Yes||Dropped (v 5.5)||Yes (iPad)||No|
|Affinity Designer||Yes||Yes||No||Yes (iPad)||No|
|Apache OpenOffice Draw||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|Collabora Online Draw||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes (6.4.7+)||Yes (6.4.7+)|
|CorelDRAW||Yes||Yes||Dropped (v. 9)||No||No|
|Figma||Yes||Yes||Web only||Companion app only||Companion app only|
|LibreOffice Draw||Yes||Yes||Yes||under development (available mostly in Collabora Online Draw 6.4.7+)||under development (available mostly in Collabora Online Draw 6.4.7+)|
|Microsoft Expression Design||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|sK1||Yes||Yes (user must compile)||Yes||No||No|
|Xara Designer Pro+||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|Xara Xtreme LX||Yes Windows 10 with WSL||No||Yes||No||No|
|Xfig||Yes Windows 10 with WSL||Yes Compiler?||Yes||No||No|
|Software||Maximum Page Size||Maximum Zoom||Color Management for Print||Scripting Support|
|Adobe Illustrator||5.7785 × 5.7785 m||64000%||Yes||Yes|
|Affinity Designer||No maximum size.||1000000%+||Yes||No|
|Apache OpenOffice Draw||119 × 119 cm||3000%||No||Yes|
|Collabora Online||600 × 600 cm||3000%||Yes||Yes|
|ConceptDraw PRO||Screen resolution||Page width||No||Yes[a]|
|CorelDRAW||45.72 × 45.72 m||260000% (estimated)||Yes||Yes|
|DrawPlus||10,000 x 10,000 cm||5000%||Yes||Yes[b]|
|Edraw Max||Screen resolution||400%||No||Yes|
|EazyDraw||250,000 × 250,000 m||250000%||Yes||No|
|Fatpaint||8000 × 8000 px||Depend on the page size.||No||No|
|Inkscape||1000 × 1000 km||25600%||No (export svg to 3rd party) ||Yes|
|LibreOffice Draw||600 × 600 cm||3000%||Yes||Yes|
|Macromedia Freehand||5.6388 × 5.6388 m||25600%||Yes||Yes|
|Microsoft Visio||2147483647 sq. in.||3098%||No||Yes|
|OmniGraffle||2,147,483,648 × 2,147,483,648 km||800%||Yes||Yes[b]|
|PhotoLine||1,400,000,000 × 1,400,000,000 px||6400%||Yes||Yes|
|sK1||3000 × 3000 m||300000%||Yes||Yes|
|SketchUp||250,000 × 250,000 m||250000%||No||Yes|
|Xara Photo & Graphic Designer||2.75 × 2.75 m||25601%||Yes||No|
- ConceptDraw Basic Script only
- ActionScript only
File format support
|Apache OpenOffice Draw||No||No||Native||Yes||Partial[a]||Partial[a]||No||Yes||Yes|
|Collabora Online Draw||Partial||Yes||Native||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Microsoft Expression Design||Partial||No||No||Yes||No||No||No||No||Yes||No|
|Microsoft Visio 2002||Yes||Partial||No||Yes||No||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Microsoft Visio 2003||No||No||No||No||No||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
|Microsoft Visio 2013||No||No||No||No||No||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Native|
|Xara Designer Pro +||Yes[j]||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Xara Xtreme LX||Partial||No||No||Yes||Yes||Partial||No||No||No|
- Via an extension
- Not all features are supported. Some Inkscape-generated plain SVG files yield corrupted results
- Via an extension using UniConvertor. Text elements not converted
- Via an extension using Ghostscript
- Via an extension using UniConvertor
- It can export to SVG but cannot import from SVG
- AI postscript-based up to 9 ver.
- Pro version only
- Only SVG 1.0 Specification is supported since Synfig 0.62.00
- Imports only up to version 8.0 AI files, newer AI file versions needs to save as "AI (V8.0)" or PDF files
- Comparison of 3D computer graphics software
- Comparison of graphics file formats
- Raster graphics
- Vector graphics
- "The Future of Adobe Fireworks". Adobe. 2013-05-06. Archived from the original on 2017-06-30. Retrieved 2020-03-12.
- "Adobe Store-North America: FreeHand MX". Adobe. Retrieved 3 March 2011.
- "Import and export file formats - Affinity Designer Help". affinity.help. Retrieved 2018-08-06.
- March 2019, Rebecca Spear 06. "Best Windows graphic design software". TopTenReviews.
- "Inkscape FAQ". inkscape.org.
- "Why I Use Affinity Designer Instead of Illustrator for Motion Design". School of Motion. Retrieved 2018-08-06.
- "Affinity Designer vs Adobe Illustrator CC 2018 Comparison | FinancesOnline". Financesonline.com. Retrieved 2018-08-06.
- "Affinity Designer vs. Adobe Illustrator: can Designer replace Illustrator? - 99designs". 99designs. 2016-08-17. Retrieved 2018-08-06.
- Martin, Keith (November 27, 2014). "Serif Affinity Designer". Expert Reviews. Retrieved December 25, 2015.
- Arah, Tom (January 2008). "Product Reviews: CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X4". PC Pro. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- "CorelDRAW X7: support for Adobe Illustrator (AI) files, CorelDRAW X7 Help".
- "CorelDRAW X7 supported file formats, CorelDRAW X7 Help".
- "Digital Craft: Serif discontinues its Pageplus, Drawplus and Photoplus designing software to focus on its(Serif) new Affinity range of Professional graphic design software - ANINO". ANINO. 2017-08-10. Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- "Edraw vector graphics types". Retrieved 2016-04-26.
- "Collabora Online 6.4 release notes". collaboraoffice.com.
- "The digital design toolkit". Sketch.
- "Color management - Inkscape Wiki". wiki.inkscape.org.
- "Supported file formats in Illustrator CS4 and CS5". Retrieved 2010-12-01.
- "Media Support/Linux/Images". The Document Foundation. Retrieved July 5, 2015.
- "Media Support/Windows/Image Tests". The Document Foundation. Retrieved July 5, 2015.
- Inkscape 0.47 release notes
- "Karbon14 Features". Archived from the original on 2010-12-06. Retrieved 2010-12-01.
- "Media Support/Linux/Images". The Document Foundation. Retrieved July 5, 2015.
- "Media Support/Windows/Image Tests". The Document Foundation. Retrieved July 5, 2015.
- "Adobe Freehand MX 11.0 - Minimum System Requirements". Retrieved 2010-12-01.
CorelDraw 7, 8
- "Visio2000: File Formats That Can Be Imported into Visio". Retrieved 2010-12-01.
You can import the following file formats into your Visio drawings: CorelDRAW! Drawing File versions 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 6.0 and 7.0 (.cdr), Corel Clipart (.cmx)
- "What you won't find in Microsoft Office Visio 2003". Retrieved 2010-12-01.
The following file formats and converters are no longer supported:CorelDRAW! 3,0-7.0, Corel Clipart Format, CMX
- "What can Xara Xtreme for Linux do now?". Retrieved 2010-12-01.