This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Alexander Dennis Enviro200 Dart
in September 2007
|Service type||Bus & coach services|
|Fleet||83 (January 2018)|
|Chief executive||Chris Chatfield|
Compass Travel operate over 50 bus services throughout Surrey and West Sussex, linking many places other bus companies do not serve. They operate commercial and contracted routes, including route 99, a flexible service between Petworth and Chichester. This service has a fixed route, but will deviate off the route to serve a number of small villages if pre-booked. In addition, a number of Sainsbury's special bus services are run, serving Rustington and Chichester Sainsbury's. Services to Benfield Park Sainsbury's were withdrawn in 2010.
In October 2006 the operation of some of Compass Travel's routes, mainly in the Burgess Hill area, passed to Countryliner. In September 2007, Compass picked up a number of routes formerly operated by Palaeobus, when they ceased trading. The Holmbush Express services were added to the portfolio from 20 April 2009, along with several other enhancements to existing services.
Work with Brighton & Hove Albion football club and rail replacement for Southern from the middle of 2011 saw the company expanding into new areas. Optare Solos are regularly seen plying between Rottingdean and Falmer Stadium, whereas the larger vehicles operate the services from Shoreham and Hangleton. Newer 10.8m Enviro 200s have strengthened the fleet to increase the number of vehicles available to rail replacement work, although at present this is largely restricted to services operating through Barnham under the low bridge.
From 3 January 2012, Compass took over the operation of the Stagecoach South route 7 in Worthing under a franchise agreement. Unique in South East England, this arrangement gives the running of the service to Compass, whilst Stagecoach retain it as part of their network. The service was adjusted by splitting the two estates - North Sompting to be served by a modification of the original route 7, and the Test Road estate to the south by the new 7A. This enabled the service to be operated by three vehicles instead of four as previously. Stagecoach livery and route branding has been applied to the vehicles.
Further expansion came when Compass won contracts to operate routes in East Sussex from 21 May 2012. These are in the Lewes / Newhaven / Seaford area. Six brand new Optare Solo SRs were ordered to operate these services.
More services resulted when Compass were awarded contracts for a number of services in Brighton & Hove, which commenced on 16 September 2012. Seven brand new Alexander Dennis Enviro 200 Darts were purchased to operate these routes. In the West Sussex area, a number of changes have resulted following West Sussex County Council cuts.
in January and February 2018, Seaford and District bus routes 125,231,261, 228 and 229 were acquired along with 2 Enviro 200 Darts from Seaford and District. Routes 228 and 229 are the company's first routes in Kent.
As of January 2018 the fleets consisted of 83 buses and coaches.
- Companies House extract company no 4096610 Compass Travel (Sussex) Limited
- Talks held as bus company closes BBC News 12 September 2007
- Children left without transport after firm shuts The Argus (Brighton) 13 September 2007
- Companies House extract company no 2988148 Sussex Country Tours Limited
- Route 7 Timetable Archived 11 June 2015 at the Wayback Machine. Stagecoach 1 September 2013
- New buses for Worthing based Compass Travel The Argus (Brighton) 1 August 2013
- Compass Travel buy 7 new buses Worthing Daily 2 August 2013
- Sale of theSussexBus routes to Compass Travel Compass Travel 26 September 2016
- Many Routes now changed ownership from Sat 1st Oct The Sussex Bus
- "Compass Travel buys theSussexBus" Coach & Bus Week issue 1260 4 October 2016 page 8
- "Compass Bus to operate services 228, 229 and 261 in East Sussex | Compass Travel". www.compass-travel.co.uk. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- Current Fleet Compass Travel