|Area served||U.S. Internet Users|
|Industry||Online Competitive Intelligence|
|Products||Compete Site Analytics (free), Compete PRO Intro, Compete PRO Standard, Compete PRO Advanced|
|Services||Site Profile, Search Analytics, Incoming and Outgoing Traffic, Ranked Lists, Category Profile, Compete Blog|
|Owner||Kantar Group (WPP)|
|Alexa rank||15,313 (August 2015[update])|
|Type of site||Web traffic and ranking|
Compete.com is a web traffic analysis service of Compete, Inc. which operates in the United States and publishes the approximate number of U.S. visitors to the top 1,000,000 web sites. This number is computed from sources including internet service providers, proprietary opt-in panels, and application service providers.
Compete.com provides two categories of information:
- Site Analytics
- a free service, where the user can enter any domain name and receive unique visitors and Compete Rank for the entered site.
- Search Analytics
- a paid service that shows the user which keywords are sending traffic to the user's website and its competitors.
Compete’s panel measures U.S., but not international users. Compete has worked diligently to develop what it believes is the largest and most diverse panel of online consumers in the United States.
The Compete Toolbar allows users to view the Compete Trust Scores and the U.S. Internet ranks of websites they visit. This is done by sending the URLs that users visit to Compete.com. Compete.com then sends back the trust scores and internet ranks from its database to the users.
Additionally, users of the Compete Toolbar have the option of participating in Community Share. By participating in Community Share, users will be assigned a user number, and that number will be submitted along with the URLs of the websites that these users visit. This information will be used to roughly determine how many users visit each website.
Compete.com is a service of Compete, Inc., which was launched in 2000 by Bill Gross, an entrepreneur who started the search engine GoTo. In March 2008, London market research company TNS purchased Compete, Inc. for $150 million.
In March 2008, Mahony and Query launched FlipKey, a travelers' resource website that lists profiles and consumer reviews of more than 50,000 vacation rental homes worldwide as an alternative to hotel stays. The site also enables vacation home owners to post their rentals along with reviews of them written by actual renters of those properties.
FlipKey is now owned by TripAdvisor, a free travel guide and research site that offers information and reviews of travel destinations, posts public opinions on travel-related issues, engages users in interactive travel forums, and allows them to post vacation slideshows and videos.
- "Compete.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- McGill University CMIS 530 Web Analytics Blog Web Analytics blog
- Granville, Vincent (2012-02-09). "analyticbridge.com". analyticbridge.com. Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- What can we help you with? compete.com
- "compete.com". compete.com. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
- "Compete: FAQ". Retrieved 2008-04-19.
- "TripAdvisor Takes FlipKey Majority Stake". Xconomy. 2008-08-21. Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- "Compete.com on Alexa". Alexa. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Compete.com on SimilarWeb". SimilarWeb. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Compete Takes On Alexa - Launches SnapShot and Social Search". ReadWriteWeb. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
- "flipkey.com". flipkey.com. 2013-01-01. Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- "FlipKey | CrunchBase Profile". CrunchBase. Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- "TripAdvisor | CrunchBase Profile". Crunchbase.com. Retrieved 2013-05-01.