|Type of business||Subsidiary|
Type of site
|Web traffic and ranking|
|Area served||U.S. Internet Users|
|Industry||Online Competitive Intelligence|
|Products||Compete Site Analytics (free), Compete PRO Intro, Compete PRO Standard, Compete PRO Advanced|
|Services||Site Profile, Search Analytics, Incoming and Outgoing Traffic, Ranked Lists, Category Profile, Compete Blog|
|Alexa rank||19,848 (August 2016[update])|
|Current status||Site shut down|
Compete.com was a web traffic analysis service of Compete, Inc. which operated in the United States and published the approximate number of U.S. visitors to the top 1,000,000 web sites. This number was computed from sources including internet service providers, proprietary opt-in panels, and application service providers. Compete.com ceased operations as of December 31, 2016.
Compete.com provided two categories of information:
- Site Analytics
- a free service, where the user can enter any domain name and receive unique visitors and Compete Rank for the entered site.
- Search Analytics
- a paid service that shows the user which keywords are sending traffic to the user's website and its competitors.
Compete’s panel measures U.S., but not international users. Compete has worked diligently to develop what it believes is the largest and most diverse panel of online consumers in the United States.
The Compete Toolbar allows users to view the Compete Trust Scores and the U.S. Internet ranks of websites they visit. This is done by sending the URLs that users visit to Compete.com. Compete.com then sends back the trust scores and internet ranks from its database to the users.
Additionally, users of the Compete Toolbar have the option of participating in Community Share. By participating in Community Share, users will be assigned a user number, and that number will be submitted along with the URLs of the websites that these users visit. This information will be used to roughly determine how many users visit each website.
Compete.com was a service of Compete, Inc., which was launched in 2000 by Bill Gross, an entrepreneur who started the search engine GoTo. In March 2008, London market research company TNS purchased Compete, Inc. for $150 million. The site and service closed its doors on the last day of 2016.
- "Compete.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2016-08-19.
- McGill University CMIS 530 Web Analytics Blog Web Analytics blog
- Granville, Vincent (2012-02-09). "analyticbridge.com". analyticbridge.com. Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- What can we help you with? compete.com
- "compete.com". compete.com. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
- "Compete: FAQ". Retrieved 2008-04-19.
- "TripAdvisor Takes FlipKey Majority Stake". Xconomy. 2008-08-21. Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- Official website(now closed)