Comply or Die
|Comply or Die|
|Breeder||Martin J. Dibbs|
|Bristol Novices' Hurdle (2003)
Rising Stars Novices' Chase (2004)
Eider Chase (2008)
Grand National (2008)
|Last updated on 5 April 2009|
Comply Or Die (1999 - 2016) was a British-trained Thoroughbred racehorse, owned by David Johnson. Ridden by Timmy Murphy and trained by David Pipe he was the winner of the £450,640 2008 John Smith's Grand National at Aintree Racecourse, run on Saturday 5 April 2008. It pushed ahead at the last fence to win from the grey King John's Castle.
In the John Smith's Grand National on 4 April 2009, Comply Or Die finished 2nd place at odds of 14-1. He carried approximately one extra stone of weight than in his previous Grand National and lost to Mon Mome.
Comply Or Die participated in 2 additional Grand Nationals in the coming two years. He respectively finished 12th in 2010 and was pulled up before 3rd last fence in 2011. After that, Comply Or Die was immediately retired.
Comply or Die was cremated on Monday 9 May 2016 after having died over the weekend. David Pipe stated that Comply or Die had been involved in dressage events since his retirement, and was "greatly saddened to hear of his loss".
- Prize money to date Archived 6 April 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- Daily Telegraph Issue 47,537, dated 5 April 2008
- BBC details
- Sunday Telegraph Issue number 2,443, dated 6 April 2008
- Osborne, Alistair (25 April 2008). "It's Comply and Cry for William Hill". Daily Telegraph. p. B1. Online version available.
- "David Pipe pays Comply Or Die tribute after 2008 Grand National winner dies". Sky Sports. 10 May 2016. Retrieved 10 May 2016.