Compton Family Ice Arena
|Full name||Compton Family Ice Arena|
|Location||Notre Dame, Indiana|
|Owner||University of Notre Dame|
|Operator||University of Notre Dame|
|Field size||200' x 95' (ice hockey)
2 x 100' x 100'
|Broke ground||September 11, 2010|
|Built||March 15, 2010 - October 2011|
|Opened||October 18, 2011|
|General contractor||Barton Malow|
|Notre Dame Fighting Irish men's ice hockey, Irish Youth Hockey League|
The Compton Family Ice Arena is a 5,022-seat, two-rink ice facility in Notre Dame, Indiana on the campus of the University of Notre Dame. The arena saw its first game on October 21, 2011. The ice arena replaced the 2,857-seat rink in the north dome of the Edmund P. Joyce Center.
The new ice arena is located south of the Joyce Center, just north of Edison Road, and just west of where the new Irish track and field facility is being constructed. The majority of the general public arena seating is of the chair-back variety. The facility includes two sheets of ice (one of them Olympic-sized), with limited seating availability for the second sheet. Offices, locker room, and training facilities for the Notre Dame hockey program will be located within the facility. The weight room within the building will be available for use by all Fighting Irish varsity athletes. Eight auxiliary locker rooms will be available for campus and community use of the facility.
On February 12, 2009, The University of Notre Dame announced it would begin construction the next year on a new, freestanding, on-campus ice arena designed to meet the needs of both the nationally ranked Irish men's hockey team and the local community. Construction began on March 15, 2010 on the 5,022-seat arena, which opened on schedule on October 18, 2011.
The University originally had planned to renovate the current Joyce Center ice facility, but additional studies changed that plan to instead feature a new building. Now that the new facility is completed, the ice rink will be removed from the Joyce Center fieldhouse, making the north dome space available for a variety of other events.
Charles W. "Lefty" Smith Jr. Rink
The main ice arena features a 200' x 90' ice rink. The facility is named the Charles W. "Lefty" Smith Jr. Rink, in honor of the first coach in the program's history.
- "2011-12 Notre Dame Fighting Irish Hockey" (PDF). Sports Information Office. University of Notre Dame. 2011. p. 2. Retrieved 2011-10-28.
- "Notre Dame Athletics Holds Groundbreaking Ceremony For New Ice Arena - The Compton Family Center" (Press release). University of Notre Dame. 2010-09-11. Retrieved 2011-10-28.
- "Construction starts on new Notre Dame ice rink". WSJV. 2010-03-11. Retrieved 2011-10-28.
- "New University of Notre Dame Ice Arena" (PDF). University of Notre Dame Archives.
- "Notre Dame to Construct New Ice Arena on Campus" (Press release). University of Notre Dame. 2009-02-12. Retrieved 2011-10-28.