Compute Express Link
|Speed||1.x (32 GT/s): |
Compute Express Link (CXL) is an open standard interconnection for high-speed central processing unit (CPU)-to-device and CPU-to-memory, designed to accelerate next-generation data center performance. CXL is built on the PCI Express (PCIe) physical and electrical interface with protocols in three key areas: input/output (I/O), memory, and cache coherence.
On April 2, 2020, the Compute Express Link and Gen-Z Consortiums have announced their execution of a memorandum of understanding (MoU), describing a mutual plan for collaboration between the two organizations.
CXL Specification 1.0
On March 11, 2019, the CXL Specification 1.0 based on PCIe 5.0 was released. The founding promoter members of the CXL specification included: Alibaba Group, Cisco Systems, Dell EMC, Facebook, Google, Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE), Huawei, Intel, and Microsoft.
CXL Specification 1.1
In June, 2019, the CXL Specification 1.1 was released.
CXL Specification 2.0
In November 10, 2020, the CXL Specification 2.0 was released.
Founding members as of September 21, 2019, are:
Current members as of September 21, 2019, are:
- Cache coherent interconnect for accelerators (CCIX)
- Coherent Accelerator Processor Interface (CAPI)
- "ABOUT CXL". Compute Express Link. Retrieved 2019-08-09.
- "Synopsys Delivers Industry's First Compute Express Link (CXL) IP Solution for Breakthrough Performance in Data-Intensive SoCs". finance.yahoo.com. Yahoo! Finance. Retrieved 2019-11-09.
- "A Milestone in Moving Data". Intel Newsroom. Intel. Retrieved 2019-11-09.
- "Compute Express Link Consortium (CXL) Officially Incorporates; Announces Expanded Board of Directors". www.businesswire.com. Business Wire. 2019-09-17. Retrieved 2019-11-09.
- "CXL Consortium and Gen-Z Consortium Announce MOU Agreement" (PDF). Beaverton, Oregon. April 2, 2020. Retrieved September 25, 2020.
- "CXL Consortium and Gen-Z Consortium Announce MOU Agreement". April 2, 2020. Retrieved April 11, 2020.
- Cutress, Ian. "CXL Specification 1.0 Released: New Industry High-Speed Interconnect From Intel". Anandtech. Retrieved 2019-08-09.
- Papermaster, Mark (July 18, 2019). "AMD Joins Consortia to Advance CXL, a New High-Speed Interconnect for Breakthrough Performance". Community.AMD. Retrieved 2020-09-25.
- "Compute Express Link: Our Members". CXL Consortium. 2020. Retrieved 2020-09-25.
- "How do the new Intel Agilex FPGA family and the CXL coherent interconnect fabric intersect?". PSG@Intel. 2019-05-03. Retrieved 2019-08-09.