Conan the Bold
cover of Conan the Bold
|Author||John Maddox Roberts|
|Cover artist||Ken Kelly|
|Series||Conan the Barbarian|
|Genre||Sword and sorcery Fantasy|
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
Conan the Bold is a fantasy novel written by John Maddox Roberts featuring Robert E. Howard's sword and sorcery hero Conan the Barbarian. It was first published in paperback by Tor Books in April 1989 and reprinted in June 1997.
Young Conan's prospects for a domestic existence are murdered along with his intended by the renegade Taharka of Keshan. To achieve vengeance the Cimmerian pursues his nemesis from Croton's fighting pits to the Ophirian plains, a chase culminating in a battle to the death.
Don D'Ammassa, writing of Roberts' Conan novels, noted that "[a]lthough Roberts did not recreate Howard's character exactly, making him more intellectual and less inclined to solve every problem by hitting it with a sword, his evocation of the barbaric setting is superior to that of most of the other writers contributing to the series."
Writing of some other Tor Conan novels, reviewer Ryan Harvey called Roberts "the most consistently successful of its stable of authors," and "the most consistently entertaining" of them, showing "deft ability with storytelling and action scenes, and a thankful tendency not to overplay his hand and try to ape Robert E. Howard’s style."
- D'Ammassa, Don (February 2006). Encyclopedia of fantasy and horror fiction. Infobase Publishing. p. 292. ISBN 978-0-8160-6192-1. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- Harvey, Ryan. "Pastiches 'R' Us: Conan and the Treasure of Python" (Review), Mar. 24, 2009.
- Harvey, Ryan. "Pastiches 'R' Us: Conan and the Amazon" (Review), Sep. 21, 2010.
- Conan the Bold title listing at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Fantastic Fiction entry for Conan the Bold
Conan the Hero
|Tor Conan series
Conan the Great