The pier and fish market in Concepcion, Iloilo
Map of Iloilo with Concepcion highlighted
|Region||Western Visayas (Region VI)|
|Legislative district||5th district of Iloilo|
|• Mayor||Milliard S. Villanueva|
|• Total||86.12 km2 (33.25 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||500/km2 (1,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)33|
It was the capital of the Commandancia of Concepcion, a unit equivalent to a sub-province headed by a corregidor, before it was merged with the Province of Iloilo.
Concepcion is located on the north-eastern part of Panay Island (known as the mainland), together with some 16 other, smaller, associated islands. It is bounded on the north by the municipality of San Dionisio, in the south by the municipality of Ajuy, in the west by the municipality of Sara, and in the east by the Visayan Sea. It has a total land area of 9,702.04 hectares.
Concepcion is politically subdivided into twenty-five barangays, eleven of which are island barangays, and fourteen of which are on the mainland (Panay Island).
|Population census of Concepcion|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
In the 2015 census, the population of Concepcion, Iloilo, was 43,159 people, with a density of 500 inhabitants per square kilometre or 1,300 inhabitants per square mile.
The primary industry of the people of Concepcion is in fishing. The Visayan Sea, where Concepcion is situated, is one of the most prolific in fish production and provides a significant proportion of fish in the region. In 2007, the number of registered fishermen stood at 7,957. Fishing is followed second by farming, with much of it being subsistence farming. The principle cash crops are rice, corn and vegetables, along with bamboo and coconuts. Poultry and livestock are raised for local consumption.
Poverty incidence was extremely high in the early 21st century, with 87% of the population being below the government poverty line in 2000, with a reduction to 47% in 2004. A contributing factor was the rapidity of population growth in the municipality, with a growth rate of 2.76% in 2002, or four babies being born every day in the municipality.
There is one institution of higher learning in the municipality, Concepcion Polytechnic College, which offers bachelor's degrees in fisheries and agriculture, as well as a masters in public administration.
Concepcion Power Station
The Concepcion Power Station is a 270-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant located by the coast of Barangay Nipa, Concepcion, Iloilo. The plant is sponsored by the Palm Concepcion Power Corporation (PCPC), a subsidiary of real estate company A Brown Company. Currently Unit 1 of the station has begun operating since August 2016 while Unit 2 is planned for 2019.
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Archived from the original on 25 January 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "Province: Iloilo". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region VI (Western Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Latoza, Jigger S. (2009) "KALAHI-CIDSS Institutional Mapping in Concepcion, Iloilo: Salient Findings" Augustinian Journal 12: pp. 33–58, doi:10.3860/aug.v12i0.1228
- (19 June 2010) "Island Hopping: Pan de Azucar Island, Iloilo", archived at Freezepage, 12 October 2010
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region VI (Western Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Province of Iloilo". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration (LWUA). Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- National Statistics Office statistics, 2007
- Staff (2006) "Eradicating Poverty Completely by 2020 - Concepcion, Iloilo" Galing Pook Foundation, last accessed 12 October 2010
- "Concepcion Travel Guide: Stunning Island Wonders of Iloilo | Freedom Wall". Freedom Wall. 2017-03-04. Retrieved 2017-04-20.
- "Tampisaw Festival" Official Website of the Province of Iloilo
- Concepcion Power Station. Sourcewatch. Retrieved February 7, 2017
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Concepcion, Iloilo.|
- Official Homepage
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
|Ajuy||Ajuy Bay (Guimaras Strait)|