Concept of operations
A concept of operations (abbreviated CONOPS, CONOPs, or ConOps) is a document describing the characteristics of a proposed system from the viewpoint of an individual who will use that system. It is used to communicate the quantitative and qualitative system characteristics to all stakeholders. CONOPS are widely used in the military, governmental services and other fields.
In the field of joint military operations, a CONOPS in DoD terminology is a verbal or graphic statement that clearly and concisely expresses what the joint force commander intends to accomplish and how it will be done using available resources. CONOPS may also be used or summarized in system acquisition DODAF descriptions such as the OV-1 High Level Operational Concept Graphic. 
Concept of Operations documents can be developed in many different ways, but usually share the same properties. In general, a CONOPS will include the following:
- Statement of the goals and objectives of the system
- Strategies, tactics, policies, and constraints affecting the system
- Organizations, activities, and interactions among participants and stakeholders
- Clear statement of responsibilities and authorities delegated
- Specific operational processes for fielding the system
- Processes for initiating, developing, maintaining, and retiring the system
A CONOPS should relate a narrative of the process to be followed in implementing a system. It should define the roles of the stakeholders involved throughout the process. Ideally it offers clear methodology to realize the goals and objectives for the system, while not intending to be an implementation or transition plan itself.
A CONOPS Standard is available to guide the development of a CONOPS document.  The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Standard is structured around information systems, but the standard may be applied to other complex systems as well.
|Look up CONOPS in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- "CONOPS". Department of Health & Human Services. Archived from the original on 2008-04-08. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- "Concept of Operations (ConOps)" (PDF). Department of Health & Human Services. Retrieved 2008-06-22.
- "Joint Publication 5-0; Joint Operation Planning" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- "Joint Publication 1-02; Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- "DODAF in Action" (PPT).
- "Concept of Operations". Carnegie Mellon University. 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-22.
- "IEEE Std 1362-1998 IEEE Guide for Information Technology—System Definition—Concept of Operations (ConOps) Document". IEEE Standards Association. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- "29148-2011 - Systems and software engineering -- Life cycle processes --Requirements engineering".
|This military-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|