Concord Regional Airport
|Concord-Padgett Regional Airport|
|Owner||City of Concord|
|Serves||Concord and Charlotte North Carolina|
|Elevation AMSL||705 ft / 215 m|
Concord-Padgett Regional Airport (IATA: USA, ICAO: KJQF, FAA LID: JQF) is a city-owned, public-use airport located seven nautical miles (13 km) west of the central business district of Concord, a city in Cabarrus County, North Carolina, United States. According to the FAA's National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2009–2013, it is classified as a reliever airport for Charlotte Douglas International Airport.
Although many U.S. airports use the same three-letter location identifier for the FAA and IATA, this airport is assigned JQF by the FAA but had no designation from the IATA until August 22, 2013 when it was assigned the IATA code USA.
Because of the multiple race teams that base aircraft fleets at JQF and its close proximity to Charlotte Motor Speedway, the airport is sometimes referred to as "NASCAR's Airport."
In April, 2018, the airport was renamed to honor longtime Mayor of Concord Scott Padgett.
Facilities and aircraft
Concord-Padgett Regional Airport covers an area of 750 acres (300 ha) at an elevation of 705 feet (215 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 2/20 with an asphalt surface measuring 7,400 by 100 feet (2,256 x 30 m).
For the 12-month period ending June 30, 2009, the airport had 68,542 aircraft operations, an average of 187 per day: 85% general aviation, 15% air taxi, <1% military and <1% scheduled commercial. At that time there were 164 aircraft based at this airport: 52% single-engine, 27% multi-engine, 16% jet and 5% helicopter.
Since the airports expansion of its runway to accommodate mid-size commercial aircraft in the early 2000s, the airport has been quite popular among local NASCAR teams. Teams charter flights out of Concord-Padgett instead of Charlotte Douglas because of its affordability and proximity to their headquarters.
Commercial passenger service
On August 20, 2013, Allegiant Air announced it would begin nonstop jet service between Concord and Orlando Sanford International Airport in December 2013. Since then the airline has expanded its nonstop service to several other vacation destinations in Florida as well as announcing new nonstop service to New Orleans. An existing hangar to the left of the main terminal was converted to a separate temporary terminal for this new commercial service. A larger permanent commercial service terminal opened in October 2016. According to FlightAware, Allegiant serves the airport with Airbus A320 and McDonnell Douglas MD-80 jetliners.
Airline and destinations
|Allegiant Air||Fort Lauderdale, New Orleans, Orlando/Sanford, Punta Gorda (FL), St. Petersburg/Clearwater
Seasonal: Fort Walton Beach
|1||Fort Lauderdale, Florida||31,250||Allegiant|
|3||St. Petersburg/Clearwater, Florida||24,500||Allegiant|
|4||Punta Gorda, Florida||15,460||Allegiant|
|5||New Orleans, Louisiana||9,860||Allegiant|
|6||Ogdensburg, New York||160||Other|
|7||Watertown, South Dakota||<10||Other|
- FAA Airport Master Record for JQF ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective 8 April 2010.
- National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2009–2013: Appendix A: Part 4 (PDF, 1.61 MB) Archived June 6, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.. Federal Aviation Administration. Updated 15 October 2008.
- A search run on iata.org shows the three-letter code USA is assigned to Concord.
- http://www.flightaware.com, KJQF flight tracking
- Mutzabaugh, Ben (June 28, 2016). "Allegiant Air breaks into Newark as it adds 3 cities to route map". USA Today. Retrieved June 28, 2016.
- "Concord, NC: Concord-Padgett Regional (USA)". Bureau of Transportation Statistics. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Concord-Padgett Regional Airport.|
- Concord-Padgett Regional Airport, official site
- "Concord Regional Airport (JQF)" (PDF). at North Carolina DOT airport guide
- Aerial photo as of March 1998 from USGS The National Map
- FAA Terminal Procedures for JQF, effective May 24, 2018
- Resources for this airport: