Concordia (Urdu: کونکورڈیا) is the name for the confluence of the mighty Baltoro Glacier and the Godwin-Austen Glacier, in the heart of the Karakoram range of Pakistan. It is located in Baltistan region of Pakistan. The name was applied by European explorers, and comes from this location's similarity to a glacial confluence, also named Concordia, in the Bernese Oberland, part of the Central Alps.
Around Concordia are clustered some of the highest peaks in the world. Four of the world's fourteen "eight-thousanders" are in this region, as well as a number of important lower peaks.
Concordia offers the region's best place to camp for mountain enthusiasts not involved in climbing. With scenic views, it also offers short treks to several important base camps: K2 (5–6 hours), Broad Peak (2–3 hours) and the Gasherbrum I&II (7–8 hours). An alternative exit to returning down the Baltoro Glacier is available by climbing the Gondogoro Pass (5615 meters). Visitors to the region are advised to carefully monitor their water intake with concern. To avoid often painful and sometimes debilitating stomach upsets at high altitude, water should be obtained from clear water sources and brought to a rolling boil, or purified before consumption.
Notable peaks in this area include:
- K2, second highest in the world at 8,611m.
- Gasherbrum I (K5), 11th highest in the world at 8,080m.
- Broad Peak (K3), 12th highest in the world at 8,047m.
- Gasherbrum II (K4), 13th highest in the world at 8,035m.
- Gasherbrum III, 7,952m.
- Gasherbrum IV, 17th highest in the world at 7,925m.
- Masherbrum (K1), 22nd highest in the world at 7,821m.
- Chogolisa, 36th highest in the world at 7,665m.
- Muztagh Tower, 7,273m.
- Snow Dome, 7,160m.
- Biarchedi, 6,781 m
- Mitre Peak, 6,010m.
Concordia is generally accessed by traversing the Baltoro Glacier
Broad Peak (8,047m) from Concordia
- Baltoro Glacier
- Godwin-Austen Glacier
- Vigne Glacier
- Gondogoro Pass
- Northern Areas
- Sarpo Laggo Glacier
- Trango Towers
- List of mountains in Pakistan
- List of highest mountains
- Deosai National Park