Concordia Junior-Senior High School
|Concordia Junior-Senior High School|
View from the southwest, 2008
|436 West 10th Street 
Concordia, Kansas 66901
|School type||Public, High School|
|School board||Board Website|
|School district||Concordia USD 333|
|CEEB code||170655 |
Concordia Junior-Senior High School is a public secondary school in Concordia, Kansas, USA operated by Unified School District 333, and serves students of grades 7 to 12. It is called the "Junior-Senior" high school because the junior high school (grades 7-8) and senior high school (grades 9-12) are housed in the same building complex.
On October 11, 2010, the students in an "Animal Science and Food Production" class at Concordia High School were expected to slaughter the 40 six-week-old chickens that they had raised as a class project. One student, Whitney Hillman, refused to kill her chicken and instead took him home. Hillman was disciplined for leaving school grounds without permission. Her rescue of the chicken received wide publicity and became a cause célèbre among vegetarian and animal protection groups.
The junior high and senior high for the district are housed in the same building but are run as separate schools. Each "school" has its own principal and academic teaching departments. Functionally the two schools are different but simply housed in the same building. Shared facilities include the cafeteria, the music rooms, and gymnasiums. The school also has an indoor swimming pool. Additionally, selected teachers do "cross-over" between junior and senior high classes (such as music and art instruction), but the administration seeks to keep the practice to a minimum.
The junior high students normally enter the building from the southeast entrance while the high school students enter the building from multiple entrances on the west side of the complex. This is in relationship to the general location of student lockers and common areas.
Most schools in North America have either a "junior high" or a "middle" schools, the Concordia district is rare in that the school district has both a junior high (grades 7-8) and a middle school (grades 5-6). Most school districts have one or the other but not both.
Concordia Junior-Senior High School competes in the North Central Kansas League and are known as the "Panthers". Concordia Junior-Senior High School offers the following sports:
A wide collection of activities are available to students at the school:
- Amber Campbell, recipient of National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Award and DNA/Paleopathology researcher 
- Keith Christensen, former NFL Football Player New Orleans Saints
- Jim Garver, country music guitarist
- Jared Goedert, Professional Baseball player currently in the Pittsburgh Pirates Minor League system.
- Mike Gardner, collegiate head football coach at Tabor College and later at Malone College (7th grade only)
- Tim McCarty, collegiate football coach
- Robert E. Pearson, movie director
- Ernie Quigley, professional basketball referee and as an umpire in Major League Baseball
- Kaye Vaughan, former Canadian Football League and Hall of Fame player with the Ottawa Rough Riders, winner CFL's Outstanding Lineman Award
- Tom Brosius, track & field athlete and coach
- Larry Hartshorn, former NFL football player Chicago Cardinals 
- Pop Hollinger, pioneer of the industry of comic book collection and trading
- GNIS for Concordia High School; USGS; October 24, 2008.
- High School CEEB Code Search
- "Concordia student flocks to chicken's rescue". Atlanta, Georgia: New Vision Television. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-12-13.
I think we can all look at a chicken on our plate and know that it comes from a chicken without having to raise 40 of them and slaughter them.
- Davis, Karen; Hillman, Whitney (2010-11-17). "Chicklett's Poem and a Letter to the Editor". Machipongo, Virginia: United Poultry Concerns. Archived from the original on 2010-12-02. Retrieved 2010-12-13.
my life is not your teaching tool
- Concordia Kansas Public Schools - Where are they now? - Amber Campbell - CHS 2001
- New Orleans Saints 1969 Stats, History, Awards and More
- Malone College : January 27, 2006
- Concordia Kansas Public Schools - Where Are They Now - Kaye Vaughn - Class of 1949
- Larry Hartshorn Past Stats, Statistics, History, and Awards - databaseFootball.com
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to
- Kansas State Department Of Education, KSDE
- Kansas State High School Activities Association, KSHSAA