Confederation GO Station
|Location||397 Centennial Parkway,|
|Tracks||2 + 1 bypass|
|Connections||Hamilton Street Railway|
Confederation GO Station is a planned train station to be built by Metrolinx in the community of Stoney Creek in East Hamilton, Ontario on the Canadian National Railway line. The station is named for Confederation Beach Park, nearby on Lake Ontario.
The station is planned as part of the anticipated expansion of GO Transit's Lakeshore West line service to Niagara Falls. On May 26, 2015, the Government of Ontario announced that service would be extended to the station. Construction began in 2017, with the opening planned for 2019.
CN Rail managed the replacement of the Centennial Parkway rail bridge, in partnership with the City of Hamilton and GO Transit. The 84-year-old rail bridge was demolished and a new one erected. This enhancement added an extra track and platform for expected GO Transit service and widened the road. The bridge work was expected to have been completed before the 2015 Pan American Games.
It is estimated that it will cost $150 million to extend GO Train service the 10 kilometres beyond West Harbour GO Station to Stoney Creek. Construction began in late 2017 and is expected to conclude in 2019. Development of the station site cost $35 million, and the associated upgrades to the rail infrastructure cost $115 million.
The island platform will have heated shelters and a canopy, and will be accessible via a pedestrian tunnel. The station building will include a waiting area and shops.
- Plan of Confederation GO Station
- "Project Update: Niagara Rail Service Expansion" (PDF). GO Transit. 2011. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Niagara Peninsula Rail Service Expansion". Expansion Projects. GO Transit. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- Ontario Investing Up to $1 Billion for Light Rail Transit in Hamilton
- Hamilton to get a new LRT and GO Train station
- Woo, Leslie (14 September 2017). "The Draft 2041 Regional Transportation Plan" (PDF). Metrolinx. Retrieved 18 September 2017.
- "Centennial detour construction starts Monday". Hamilton Community News. 8 November 2013. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
The project will add an extra track, and a platform to accommodate an expected GO Transit service from Downtown Hamilton to Stoney Creek
- Matthew Van Dongen (10 February 2015). "GO Train extension to Stoney Creek will cost $150 million". Hamilton Spectator. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Werner, Kevin (2017-10-22). "Confederation GO train station construction to begin this year". The Hamilton Spectator. ISSN 1189-9417. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- Werner, Kevin (22 October 2017). "Confederation GO train station construction to begin this year". Hamilton Spectator. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- Confederation GO Station at GO Transit