Confederation Suburban Centre, Saskatoon
|Confederation Suburban Centre|
|City of Saskatoon neighborhood|
Housing complex in Confederation Suburban Centre
|Suburban Development Area||Confederation SDA|
|• Type||Municipal (Ward 3)|
|• Administrative body||Saskatoon City Council|
|• Councillor||Ann Iwanchuk|
|• Average Income||$22,873|
Confederation Suburban Centre contains Confederation Park Mall, Cosmo Civic Centre, Plaza 22, Carlyle King Library, Fairhaven Bowl and The Real Canadian Superstore. Confederation Suburban Centre has a straight northern boundary that does not follow any roadway, but follows along the edge of the Massey Place Neighborhood around and about Milton Street and a southernmost tip at 11th Street East. It has an eastern boundary along Circle Drive. The western boundary is Diefenbaker Drive between 22nd Street and extends north from here to about Milton Street. The western boundary on the southern portion of 22nd Street encompasses Confederation Inn, and all retail sectors which are east of Fairmount Drive, and north of Fairlight Drive. The western boundary continues along the course of Circle Drive until 11th Street taking in the SGI complex, the Jehovah Witness Hall and the Baseball Diamonds and some of W.A. Reid Park.
Planning for a suburban centre near the intersection of what was then 22nd Street and Dundonald Avenue (Dundonald later became Circle Drive) was underway by the spring of 1966. At that time, the area was to be called the Dundonald Suburban Centre, and would have been located east of Dundonald Avenue/Circle Drive, north of 22nd Street and south of 29th Street (an area now part of the Mount Royal residential community).
Most of the amenities were constructed between 1970 and 1990. The area was designated a Suburban Centre in the 1980s; prior to this the portion north of 22nd Street was considered part of the Confederation Park community and the area to the south part of Fairhaven.
This area comprises mainly non residential development between the neighboring communities. It makes use of land area on the west side of the major interchange between 22nd Street and Circle Drive.
Government and politics
Provincially, the area is divided by Fairmont Court into two constituencies. The southern portion lies within the constituency of Saskatoon Riversdale. It is currently represented by Danielle Chartier of the Saskatchewan New Democratic Party (NDP), first elected in a 2009 by-election. The northern portion of the area lies within the constituency of Saskatoon Fairview. It is currently represented by Jennifer Campeau of the Saskatchewan Party, first elected in 2011.
The Confederation Suburban Center contains 400 operating businesses which is 8% of Saskatoon's retail sector
22nd Street Arterial Commercial District
This is a neighborhood of shopping amenities. Several strip malls complement the area and nestle around Canadian Tire, and The Real Canadian Superstore offering a wide variety of goods and services.
- Bowling Pin House
- Fairhaven Bowl
Cosmo Civic Centre
- Racquetball and Wallyball Court
- Fitness Room
- Meeting Rooms
- Combatives Room
- Carlyle King Branch Library
- Charlottetown Parks
- W.A. Reid Park
Saskatoon Transit Bus Terminal Mall located on the north side of the Confederation Park Parking Lot along Laurier Drive.
- Route 2 Meadowgreen/City Centre
- Route 5 McCormack/City Center
- Route 7 Dundonald/City Centre
- Route 9 Montgomery/Riversdale/City Centre
- Route 10 Pleasant Hill/City Centre
- Route 22 Montgomery/City Centre/Hampton Village
- Route 23 Blairmore/Hampton Village
- Route 60 Confederation/City Center
- Route 65 Kensington/City Center
- Neighborhood Profiles
- "First building here in 1883: Now fine, modern city". Saskatoon Star-Phoenix. May 19, 1966. Retrieved 15 July 2012.
- "Dundonald suburban area studied by city planners". Saskatoon Star-Phoenix. July 26, 1966. Retrieved 15 July 2012.
- Current Members of Parliament, retrieved 2017-04-16
- Legislative Assembly of Saskatchewan - Members of the Legislative Assembly, retrieved 2017-04-16
- City Councillors - Saskatoon.ca, retrieved 2017-04-16
- Business Profile URL accessed February 3, 2007
- Selling an Idea or a Product Archived September 29, 2007, at the Wayback Machine. URL accessed January 27, 2007
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Confederation Suburban Centre.|
- Neighborhood Profiles
- Saskatoon Neighbourhoods Word Search Puzzle
- City of Saskatoon · Departments · Community Services · Community ...
- City of Saskatoon · Departments · Community Services · City Planning · ZAM Maps
- Populace Spring 2006