Congolese National Police
|Congolese National Police|
|Common name||Police nationale congolaise|
|National agency||DR Congo|
|Operations jurisdiction||DR Congo|
|Parent agency||Ministry of the Interior|
The Congolese National Police (French: Police nationale congolaise, PNC) is the national police force of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The national police consists of 110,000–150,000 officers and operates on the provincial level, answering to the Interior Ministry. It is known in the DRC for corruption, repression of political dissidents, and other human rights abuses. It is currently undergoing reforms. A police academy is being built.
The former Kinshasa Police Commissioner, General Celestin Kanyama, was sanctioned by the United States in 2016 for his role in repressing citizens during anti-government protests using violence. He was removed from his post in 2017.
The legislation "Decree-Law N° 002-2002 On institution, organization and functioning of the Congolese national police" from 26 January 2002 establishes the role of the National Police (PNC) of the DRC.
Starting in 2014, about 150 police officers part of the "Formed Police Unit" were deployed to the neighboring Central African Republic as part of a peacekeeping contingent, along with 850 FARDC troops.
- Directorate of Public Security
- Directorate of General Information
- Civil Protection directorate
- Border Police directorate
- Directorate of Fluvial, lacustrine, maritime and train communication route
- Technical and Scientific directorate
- Directorate for the Fight against Criminality
- Directorate of Telecommunications and New Technologies
- Directorate for the Fight against Economic and Financial Crime
- Narcotic directorate
- Judicial Identity and Central File directorate
- National Central Bureau / Interpol
- Human Resources directorate
- Directorate of Budget and Finance
- Directorate of Logistics
- Directorate of Studies and Planning
- International Police Cooperation’s Department
- Law enforcement in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Crime in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- The Head of State gives instructions to the Congolese National Police provincial commanders. Digitalcongo.cd. Published 24 August 2018. Retrieved 18 January 2019.
- Clowes, William.Smoke Bombs and Mirrors. Slate. Published 11 March 2016. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- Burstow, Roxane. Security, development and the Congolese National Police Force. The Guardian. Accessed 27 July 2016.
- Facing multiple security crises, Congo's Kabila reshuffles police. Reuters. Published 18 July 2017. Retrieved 18 January 2019.
- Controversial DR Congo police chief sacked, replaced by assistant. Africa News. Published 18 April 2017. Retrieved 18 January 2019.
- 26 janvier 2002. – DÉCRET-LOI N° 002-2002 portant institution, organisation et fonctionnement de la police nationale congolaise. Leganet.cd. Retrieved 18 January 2019.
- Tshibambe, Germain Ngoie (January 2016). Peacekeeping Contributor Profile: Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Police in DR Congo accused of extrajudicial killings. Al Jazeera. Published 21 February 2019.