Connersville High School
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Connersville High School|
100 Spartan Drive|
Connersville, Indiana 47331
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Fayette County School Corporation|
|Teaching staff||57.58 (on an FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||19.36|
|Athletics conference||Eastern Indiana Athletic Conference|
Connersville High School was the first (and remains the only) consolidated high school in the county, opening in fall of 1875, in the building that later became Connersville Junior High School North, in Connersville. The first graduating class was in 1878, nine persons. The high school was later moved to a building further north in the 1950s, and still later to a campus in west Connersville where it resides today. The new High School has had the same buildings and open concept since the day it opened. Each of the buildings is named after one of the townships in Fayette County. Connersville High School had the first public school marching band in the United States. Rushville gave Connersville the name Ikmiks, but that was an unofficial nickname, and in 1924 Connersville officially changed the name to the Spartans.
In 1969, Connersville High School/Vocational School opened its doors nearby on Ranch Road.
Connersville High School has been accredited by AdvancED or its predecessors since April 1, 1908. The 2018 US News and World Report annual high school ranking awarded Connersville a bronze rating.
The demographic breakdown of the 1,115 students enrolled in 2015-2016 was:
- Male - 50.8%
- Female - 49.2%
- Asian - 0.2%
- Black - 1.1%
- Hispanic - 1.1%
- White - 94.6%
- Multiracial - 3.0%
The Connersville Spartans compete in the Eastern Indiana Athletic Conference. The school colors are red and white. The following Indiana High School Athletic Association (IHSAA) sanctioned sports are offered:
- Baseball (boys)
- Basketball (girls and boys)
- Boys state champions - 1972, 1983
- Cross country (girls and boys)
- Football (boys)
- Golf (girls and boys)
- Gymnastics (girls)
- State champions - 1987, 1988, 1989
- Soccer (girls and boys)
- Softball (girls)
- Swimming (girls and boys)
- Tennis (girls and boys)
- Track (girls and boys)
- Volleyball (girls)
- Wrestling (boys)
- Robert Wise – A Hollywood director and producer who graduated from CHS in 1932, and the CHS auditorium, "Robert E. Wise Center for Performing Arts" was named in his honor.
- Greg Stotelmyer – Known as the "Voice of the Colonels" for the Eastern Kentucky University men's basketball team, won three Emmy awards, and graduated from CHS in 1974.
- Scott Halberstadt – Known for being a television actor, playing in several Nickelodeon shows, graduated from CHS in 1995.
- Matt Howard – Basketball player. Graduated in 2007; played four seasons at Butler University, ending with two appearances in the NCAA championship game. Has since played for professional teams in Greece, France, and now Germany.
- "Connersville Sr High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved July 12, 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-07-25. Retrieved 2012-11-28.
- Personal Interview with Mr. Randall Judd, Assistant Principal. May 14, 2013
- "AdvancED - Institution Summary". www.advanc-ed.org. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- "Connersville Senior High School in Connersville, Indiana". usnews.com. US News and World Report. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- "2017-18 IHSAA School Directory" (pdf). IHSAA.org. IHSAA. p. 41. Retrieved 12 July 2018.
- "All-Time IHSAA State Championships by School" (PDF). Ihsaa.org. IHSAA. July 11, 2018. Retrieved 12 July 2018.