Connetquot River State Park Preserve
|Connetquot River State Park Preserve|
|Location||Town of Islip, Suffolk County, New York|
|Area||3,473 acres (14.05 km2)|
|Operated by||New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation|
|Visitors||233,504 (in 2014)|
Southside Sportsmens Club District
|Nearest city||Great River, New York|
|Architect||Bradford Gilbert; Ashby & Breckenridge|
|Architectural style||Colonial Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||73001272 |
|Added to NRHP||July 23, 1973|
Connetquot River State Park Preserve is a 3,473-acre (14.05 km2) state park and conservation area in the Town of Islip in Suffolk County, New York in the United States. The park contains the Long Island Environmental Interpretive Center as well as the Southside Sportsmens Club District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
The park offers hiking, fishing, a bridle path, nature trails, cross-country skiing, snow shoeing, a museum, and recreation activities. It also contains the site of the Southside Sportsmens Club District, which has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1973.
The park is home to the Long Island Environmental Interpretive Center, which provides educational programs year-round. The center hosts the Regional Environmental Education Team, which assists schools, youth groups, and other organizations by leading interpretation activities within the region's state parks.
Vehicles are charged an entrance fee, however pedestrians may enter for free through several gates along the park's perimeter. A permit is required for horseback riding within the park. The park is a carry-in carry-out facility, as there are no garbage bins along the trails. Additionally there are no picnic facilities or play areas for children. Anglers possessing proper permits may fish for brook, brown, and rainbow trout within the park.
- "Section O: Environmental Conservation and Recreation, Table O-9". 2014 New York State Statistical Yearbook (PDF). The Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government. 2014. pp. 671–674. Retrieved April 23, 2016.
- "State Park Annual Attendance Figures by Facility: Beginning 2003". Data.ny.gov. Retrieved April 23, 2016.
- Staff (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Connetquot River State Park Preserve". NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. Retrieved April 23, 2016.
- Suffolk County Listings on the National Register of Historic Places
- Lynn Beebe Weaver (June 1973). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Southside Sportsmens Club District". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2010-02-20. See also: "Accompanying four photos".
- "Long Island Environmental Interpretive Center". NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. Retrieved April 23, 2016.