|Industry||Public Transport, Taxi Service|
|Founded||10 May 1999|
|Pier Eringa (CEO)|
Number of employees
Bank Nederlandse Gemeenten (14%)
Connexxion is a large public transport company in the Netherlands, operating in the west, middle, east and south-west parts of the country. It is owned by Transdev and Bank Nederlandse Gemeenten. It is a subsidiary of Transdev Netherlands.
Connexxion was formed on 10 May 1999 from a merger between transport companies NZH, ZWN, Midnet and Oostnet. Its name is a mutation of the French word connexion meaning connection. In January 2007, Connexxion took over Utrecht public transport operator GVU and Nijmegen operator Novio. In 2007 Connexxion's 33% shareholding in Syntus was sold.
On 12 October 2007, Connexxion was privatised with a 67% stake purchased by Transdev-BNG-Connexxion Holding BV (TBCH) , a consortium consisting of Transdev (75%) and Bank Nederlandse Gemeenten (BNG) (25%), beating a Deutsche Bahn / Rabobank consortium and FirstGroup. This gives Transdev 50%, BNG 17%, and the government 33% stake in Connexxion. In February 2013 the government's 33% shareholding was purchased by Transdev, increasing its shareholding to 86%.
Connexxion's parent company, Transdev Netherlands, also had another operation called Veolia Transport Nederland. The branding was replaced with the Connexxion in December 2016. As a result, Veolia Transport Nederland's Haaglanden operations were rebranded Connexxion.
As at January 2016, Connexxion operated 1,900 buses and coaches. It operates the only trolleybus network in the Netherlands and in 2017 introduced double-deckers on one route. Connexxion also owns bus companies Hermes and Novio.
In December 2013 Connexxion commenced operating the IJsselmonde, Rotterdam concession for 10 years. In December 2017 Connexxion will commence operating the Amstelland-Meerlanden concession for 10 years. An order has been placed with VDL for 100 Citeas SLFA electric buses. This will make it the largest operator of electric buses in Europe.
Connexxion held the Almelo to Mariënberg concession from December 2006 until December 2013, however its operation was sub-contracted to Syntus. It operated the Sneltram between Utrecht and Nieuwegein until December 2013.
As at March 2015 Connexxions operated 3,500 taxis.
- Connexxion consolidates bus operations Dutch News 3 January 2007
- Annual report for year ended 31 December 2007 Connexxion
- French company buys Connexxion Expatica 2 July 2007
- Transdev buys majority stake in Dutch bus firm Reuters 2 July 2007
- Transdev Acquisition Creates Fourth Largest Public Transport Corporation Group in Europe CNW Group 5 July 2007
- Annual Report for year ended 31 March 2007 FirstGroup
- State Sells Rest of Connexxion Mergers & Acquisitions February 2013
- Annual Report for year ended 31 December 2013 Archived 22 January 2018 at the Wayback Machine Bank Nederlandse Gemeenten
- Veolia name disappears from the OV OV Magazine 21 November 2016 (Dutch)
- Concessions Conexxions (in Dutch)
- Delivery of 18 Citeas LLE for Connexxion VDL Bus & Coach December 2015
- New articulated trolleybuses for Arnhem Vossloh Kiepe 20 July 2009
- Delivered: 11 new trolleybues for Arnheim/NL by Hess and Vossloh Kiepe Vossloh Kiepe 16 July 2013
- Transdev wins 2013-2023 public transport concession for IJsselmonde Region Transdev 10 July 2013
- Connexxion wins Amstelland-Meerlanden public transport tender Transdev 16 December 2016
- Transdev electrics Coach & Bus Week 27 April 2017
- Concessions ProRail (in Dutch)
- Protos EMU order Railway Gazette International 1 April 2006
- Annual Report for year ended 31 December 2008 Connexxions
- Stadler rolls out latest Arriva Nederland multiple units Railway Gazette International 14 June 2012
- Utrecht tram contracts placed Metro Report International 10 October 2012
- Veolia Transdev to sell Dutch subsidiary International Railway Journal 18 February 2013
- Connexxion Rail Fan Europe
- Stadler EMUs enter service with Dutch operators International Railway Journal 14 December 2016
- Voskhod-2M arrives in The Netherlands Classic Fast Ferries issue 4 June 2002 page 2
- Farewell to Dutch Voskhods Classic Fast Ferries issue 52 January 2014 pages 1-3
- Large-scale e-taxi trial for Dutch Connexxion Taxi and Nissan Taxi Intelligence 1 March 2015
Media related to Connexxion at Wikimedia Commons