Schultz in 2010
|Born||citation needed]July 21, 1957 [|
|Alma mater||Kent State University|
Cleveland State University
|Spouse(s)||Sherrod Brown (2004-present)|
Connie Schultz (born July 21, 1957) is an American writer and journalist. Schultz is a nationally syndicated columnist for Creators Syndicate. She worked at The Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper from 1993 to 2011. She won the 2005 Pulitzer Prize for Commentary for "her pungent columns that provided a voice for the underdog and underprivileged." She is married to Sherrod Brown, senior Democratic U.S. Senator for Ohio, and resigned from the paper to avoid a conflict of interest. She teaches journalism at Kent State University.
Because of her husband's 2006 Senate campaign, Schultz took a leave of absence from The Plain Dealer to campaign for his election. She returned to The Plain Dealer in January 2007. On September 19, 2011, Schultz again resigned from The Plain Dealer, having written in a note to colleagues that "in recent weeks, it has become painfully clear that my independence, professionally and personally, is possible only if I'm no longer writing for the newspaper that covers my husband's senate race on a daily basis".
Schultz's first book, Life Happens: And Other Unavoidable Truths, a collection of her previously published columns, was printed in 2006. Her second book, ... and His Lovely Wife: A Memoir from the Woman Beside the Man, a journal of her experiences on the campaign trail, was released in 2007.
Schultz writes a column called "Views" for Parade and she has contributed to the online political blog The Huffington Post. On July 13, 2009, she appeared on CBS' The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.
On May 18, 2014, Schultz was presented with an honorary doctor of letters degree from Otterbein University. Along with her husband, Schultz gave a keynote address at the undergraduate commencement.
- Life Happens: And Other Unavoidable Truths, Random House (April 18, 2006) ISBN 978-1-4000-6497-7
- … and His Lovely Wife: A Memoir from the Woman Beside the Man, Random House (June 19, 2007) ISBN 978-1-4000-6573-8
- Terry, Shelley (November 30, 2018). "Ashtabula native Connie Schultz honored with signs". Star Beacon (Astabula, Ohio). Retrieved December 25, 2018.
- Connie Schultz (July 15, 2014). "Why I Came Home to Cleveland". Politico.
- The 2005 Pulitzer Prize Winner in Commentary: Connie Schultz of The Plain Dealer, Cleveland.
- "Connie Schultz column archive at The Plain Dealer". Archived from the original on December 15, 2007. Retrieved March 5, 2007.
- Romenesko, Jim (September 19, 2011). "Connie Schultz resigns from Cleveland Plain Dealer". Poynter Institute. Retrieved September 22, 2011.
- "Connie Schultz column archive at Parade". Retrieved June 29, 2015.
- "Connie Schultz column archive at Creators Syndicate". Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- "Senator and Writer Duo Address Commencement". Otterbein Towers (Early Summer 2014): 7. Retrieved June 29, 2015.