May 19, 1993 |
Commerce, MI, USA
|Height||6 ft 4 in (193 cm)|
|Weight||201 lb (91 kg; 14 st 5 lb)|
|NHL team||Winnipeg Jets|
|National team||United States|
|NHL Draft||130th overall, 2012
Connor Charles Hellebuyck (born May 19, 1993) is an American professional ice hockey goaltender. He is currently playing for the Winnipeg Jets of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was selected by the Jets in the 5th round (130th overall) of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
After completing his high school career in Michigan, Hellebuyck played one year of junior hockey as a member of the Odessa Jackalopes, a franchise that had been a minor league affiliate of the New York Islanders but had recently moved to junior hockey as part of the North American Hockey League. Hellebuyck went from being virtually unknown to a top prospect while playing in Odessa, and was drafted by the Winnipeg Jets following his season in Odessa.
Hellebuyck earned a scholarship to play for the UMass Lowell River Hawks in the NCAA Men's Division I Hockey East Conference, where in two seasons he played 54 games and compiled a 38-12-2 record with a .946 save percentage, 1.60 goals against average, and 12 shutouts. He won the Hockey East Championship and made a Frozen Four appearance in his freshman year. Lowell would repeat as Hockey East Champions the following year and Hellebuyck became the only player in Hockey East history to be named tournament MVP twice. Following his second year, Hellebuyck's outstanding play was rewarded with a selection to the 2013–14 Hockey East First Team.
For the 2013–14 season, Hellebuyck was award the inaugural Mike Richter Award as the top goaltender in college hockey. Hellebuyck departed UMass Lowell as the school's shutout leader with 12 shutouts in 54 games, surpassing current Nashville Predators and former UMass Lowell goaltender Carter Hutton. He also owns single-season records for best save percentage (.952) and GAA (1.37), both in 2012-13.
Hellebuyck chose to forgo his final two years of college eligibility when he signed a three-year entry-level contract with the Winnipeg Jets of the National Hockey League (NHL) on April 5, 2014. In the 2014–15 season, he played his first full professional season with the Jets' American Hockey League affiliate, the St. John's IceCaps and was selected to the 2015 AHL All-Star Game serving as the Eastern Conference starter. Hellebuyck was called up by the Jets late in the regular season to dress as the back-up goalie for one game. On November 22nd, 2015 the Jets called up Hellebuyck, after Ondrej Pavelec was injured during a game against the Arizona Coyotes. On November 27, 2015 Hellebuyck won his first NHL game against the Minnesota Wild.
|Competitor for United States|
|2015 Czech Republic|
Hellebuyck was chosen by the United States to play at the 2015 Men's World Ice Hockey Championships. Hellebuyck would backstop Team USA to a Bronze Medal in the tourney. Hellebuyck posted a record of 7-1-0 with a pair of shutouts during his eight tournament games. He would also finish with an impressive 1.37 goals-against average, and a .948 saving percentage. His seven wins tied a U.S. record for most in a single tournament set in 1939.
Regular season and playoffs
|2014–15||St. John's IceCaps||AHL||58||28||22||5||3332||143||6||2.58||.921||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honours
|Hockey East All-Tournament Team||2013|||
|All-Hockey East First Team||2013–14|||
|AHCA East First-Team All-American||2013–14|
|Hockey East All-Tournament Team||2014|||
|Mike Richter Award||2013–14|||
|WC All-Star Team||2015|||
- UMass Lowell River Hawks Athletics - Connor Hellebuyck named First-Team Hockey East All-Star
- "UMass-Lowell's Connor Hellebuyck wins inaugural Mike Richter Award - NHL.com - On Campus". nhl.com. Retrieved 2014-06-28.
- "Connor Hellebuyck jets from UMass Lowell early". Mill City Sports. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Connor Hellebuyck jets from UMass Lowell early". Mill City Sports. Retrieved 2014-04-05.
- "Connor Hellebuyck named a 2015 AHL Eastern Conference All-Star". Mill City Sports. Retrieved 2015-01-29.
- "Connor Hellebuyck starts for Eastern Conference in AHL All-Star Game". Mill City Sports. Retrieved 2015-01-29.
- "Jets call up goalie Hellebuyck from St. John's". Winnipeg Free Press. 2015-04-10.
- "Jets call up Hellebuyck after Pavelec injured by Doan hit". www.winnipegfreepress.com. Retrieved 2015-11-22.
- "Connor Hellebuyck selected to U.S. National team for Worlds". millcitysports.com. 2015-04-02. Retrieved 2015-04-02.
- "USA wins bronze with shutout win over Czech Republic at World Championship". The Score. May 17, 2015. Retrieved July 3, 2015.
- "Connor Hellebuyck, U.S. take home bronze at IIHF World Championships". Mill City Sports. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
- "2013-14 Hockey East Media Guide". Hockey East. Retrieved 2014-05-19.
- HockeyEastOnline.com - LEAGUE ANNOUNCES ALL-STAR TEAMS
- "UMass-Lowell's Hellebuyck wins Mike Richter Award". nhl.com. April 11, 2014.
- Connor Hellebuyck's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Connor Hellebuyck's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
|Awards and achievements|
|Hockey East Tournament MVP
|Hockey East Goaltending Champion
|Mike Richter Award