|Full name||Connor Jaeger|
|National team||United States|
April 30, 1991 |
Hackensack, New Jersey
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg)|
|College team||University of Michigan|
Connor Jaeger (born April 30, 1991) is an American competition swimmer who specializes in distance freestyle events. Jaeger attended the University of Michigan where he was a three-time All-American. He was a member of the 2012 United States Olympic team, and placed sixth in the 1,500-meter freestyle during the 2012 Summer Olympics. He currently holds the U.S. Open record in the 800-meter freestyle and the American record in the 1500-meter freestyle.
Jaeger was born in Hackensack, New Jersey on April 30, 1991. He grew up in Fair Haven, New Jersey after his family moved there in 2003. He has an older sister, Dana, with whom he grew up swimming. He began swimming seriously at age eight with the Central Jersey Aquatic Club (CJAC), coached by Corrina Weinkofsky and Cathy Corcione. He excelled at swimming quickly, making the New Jersey All-Star squad and the Junior Olympics before he turned 13.
As a teenager, Jaeger worked as a lifeguard while continuing to train with CJAC, where he never missed a practice according to his coaches. During high school, he was named All-State in the 200-yard freestyle and set five conference swimming records. He graduated from Rumson-Fair Haven Regional High School in 2010. After high school, Jaeger went to the University of Michigan for college where he is expected to graduate from in 2014.
Jaeger attended University of Michigan, where he was a member of the Michigan Wolverines swimming and diving team. In 2011, he was part of the NCAA title winning 4×200-yard freestyle relay team and was named to the All-Big Ten first team. In 2012, he became an All-American in three disciplines (500-yard freestyle, 800-yard freestyle relay, 1,650-yard freestyle) and was the Big Ten champion in the latter two. At the 2012 NCAA championships, he finished third in the 1,650-yard freestyle. He also won an award for academic achievement for the 2011–12 school year.
At the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials, Jaeger made his first Olympic team by finishing second behind Andrew Gemmell in the 1,500-meter freestyle with a time of 14:52.51. With a margin of just thirty-two (0.32) one-hundredths of a second between Gemell and Jaeger, it was one of the closest 1,500-meter finishes in Trials history. Jaeger's swim was also the fifth fastest time in the world during 2012 heading into the Olympics. For Jaeger, it was only the fifth time he ever swam the 1,500 in competition. In the preliminary round of the event, he went under fifteen minutes for the first time in his career, despite miscounting his laps and swimming an extra 100 meters. He also competed in the 400-meter freestyle, and finished sixth in the final with a time of 3:49.55.
At the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, Jaeger swam in the preliminary round of the 1,500-meter freestyle on August 3, qualifying seventh for the final on August 4. In the final, he placed sixth with a time of 14:52.99.
At the 2013 World Aquatics Championships, Jaeger qualified to swim in 3 individual events: the 400-, 800-, and 1500-meter freestyle. In his first event, the 400-meter freestyle, Jaeger placed third in the final with a personal best time of 3:44.85, finishing behind Sun Yang and Kosuke Hagino. In his second event, Jaeger placed 4th in the 800-meter freestyle in a personal best time of 7:44.26, finishing behind Sun Yang, teammate Michael McBroom, and Ryan Cochrane. In his third and last event, the 1500-meter freestyle, Jaeger placed 4th in the final with a personal best time of 14:47.96.
Personal bests (long course)
- As of August 9, 2015
|200 m freestyle||1:47.60||Indianapolis||June 25, 2013|
|400 m freestyle||3:44.85||Barcelona||July 28, 2013|
|800 m freestyle||7:44.26||Barcelona||July 31, 2013|
|1500 m freestyle||14:41.20 NR||Kazan||August 9, 2015|
- "USA Swimming National Team Bios:Connor Jaeger". Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- Matthew Rocco (July 12, 2012). "RFH swimmer Jaeger headed to London Olympics". The Independent (Greater Media Newspapers). Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "2012 U.S. Olympic Team Trials (swimming) – Men's 1500 metre freestyle (final)". Omega Timing. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "U.S. Olympic Trials: Andrew Gemmell Edges Connor Jaeger at the Wall for 1500 Free Victory". Swimming World. July 2, 2012. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "2012 U.S. Olympic Team Trials (swimming) – Men's 400 metre freestyle (final)". Omega Timing. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "London Olympics: Connor Jaeger, Fair Haven native, finishes sixth in 1,500 freestyle final". The Star-Ledger. August 4, 2012. Retrieved August 6, 2012.
- "15th FINA World Championships – Men's 400m freestyle". Omega Timing. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "15th FINA World Championships – Men's 800m freestyle". Omega Timing. Retrieved 2013-07-31.
- Connor Jaeger – National Team swimmer profile at USASwimming.org
- Connor Jaeger – University of Michigan athlete profile at MGoBlue.com