Jaeger at the 2015 World Championships
|Full name||Connor Jaeger|
|National team||United States|
April 30, 1991 |
Hackensack, New Jersey
|Height||6 ft (183 cm)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg)|
|College team||University of Michigan|
Connor Jaeger (born April 30, 1991) is a former American competition swimmer who specializes in distance freestyle events. Jaeger attended the University of Michigan where he was a three-time All-American. He was a member of the 2012 United States Olympic team, and placed sixth in the 1500 metre freestyle during the 2012 Summer Olympics. He currently holds the U.S. Open record in the 800 meter freestyle and the American record in the 1500 metre freestyle. Jaeger placed first at the 2016 US Olympic Swimming Trials in the 400 m Freestyle and was named to the 2016 US Men's Olympic Swimming Team. He won a Silver medal in the men's 1500 metre freestyle at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
Jaeger was born in Fair Haven, New Jersey on April 30, 1991. He has an older sister, Dana, with whom he grew up swimming. He began swimming seriously at age eight with the Central Jersey Aquatic Club (CJAC), coached by Corrina Weinkofsky and Cathy Corcione. He excelled at swimming quickly, making the New Jersey All-Star squad and the Junior Olympics before he turned 13.
As a teenager, Jaeger worked as a lifeguard while continuing to train with CJAC, where he never missed a practice according to his coaches. During high school, he was named All-State in the 200 yard freestyle and set five conference swimming records. He graduated from Rumson-Fair Haven Regional High School in 2010. After high school, Jaeger went to the University of Michigan for college, where he graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering in 2014.
Jaeger attended University of Michigan, where he was a member of the Michigan Wolverines swimming and diving team. In 2011, he was part of the NCAA title winning 4×200-yard freestyle relay team and was named to the All-Big Ten first team. In 2012, he became an All-American in three disciplines (500-yard freestyle, 800-yard freestyle relay, 1,650-yard freestyle) and was the Big Ten champion in the latter two. At the 2012 NCAA championships, he finished third in the 1,650-yard freestyle. He also won an award for academic achievement for the 2011–12 school year.
At the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials, Jaeger made his first Olympic team by finishing second behind Andrew Gemmell in the 1,500-meter freestyle with a time of 14:52.51. With a margin of just thirty-two (0.32) one-hundredths of a second between Gemell and Jaeger, it was one of the closest 1,500-meter finishes in Trials history. Jaeger's swim was also the fifth fastest time in the world during 2012 heading into the Olympics. For Jaeger, it was only the fifth time he ever swam the 1,500 in competition. In the preliminary round of the event, he went under fifteen minutes for the first time in his career, despite miscounting his laps and swimming an extra 100 meters. He also competed in the 400-meter freestyle, and finished sixth in the final with a time of 3:49.55.
At the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, Jaeger swam in the preliminary round of the 1,500-meter freestyle on August 3, qualifying seventh for the final on August 4. In the final, he placed sixth with a time of 14:52.99.
At the 2013 World Aquatics Championships, Jaeger qualified to swim in three individual events: the 400-, 800-, and 1500-meter freestyle. In his first event, the 400-meter freestyle, he placed third in the final with a personal best time of 3:44.85, finishing behind Sun Yang and Kosuke Hagino. In his second event, Jaeger placed 4th in the 800-meter freestyle in a personal best time of 7:44.26, finishing behind Sun Yang, teammate Michael McBroom, and Ryan Cochrane. In his third and last event, the 1500-meter freestyle, Jaeger placed 4th in the final with a personal best time of 14:47.96.
Personal bests (long course)
- As of August 13, 2016
|200 m freestyle||1:47.60||Indianapolis||June 25, 2013|
|400 m freestyle||3:44.81||Kazan||August 2, 2015|
|800 m freestyle||7:44.26||Barcelona||July 31, 2013|
|1500 m freestyle||14:39.48 NR||Rio de Janeiro||August 13, 2016|
Short course yards
|200-yard freestyle||1:33.80||2014 NCAA Men's Division I||March 27, 2014|
|500-yard freestyle||4:10.84||2013 NCAA Men's Division I||March 28, 2013|
|1000 yard freestyle||8:41.09||2014 MI U of M PostGrad Quad||October 25, 2014|
|1650 yard freestyle||14:23.52||2014 AT&T Winter National Champs||June 12, 2014|
Jaeger became engaged to his girlfriend, Courtney Beidler, on June 18, 2017.
- "USA Swimming National Team Bios:Connor Jaeger". Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- Connor Jaeger, United States Olympic Committee. Accessed August 8, 2016.
- Matthew Rocco (July 12, 2012). "RFH swimmer Jaeger headed to London Olympics". The Independent. Greater Media Newspapers. Archived from the original on January 24, 2013. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "2012 U.S. Olympic Team Trials (swimming) – Men's 1500 metre freestyle (final)". Omega Timing. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- "U.S. Olympic Trials: Andrew Gemmell Edges Connor Jaeger at the Wall for 1500 Free Victory". Swimming World. July 2, 2012. Archived from the original on October 4, 2012. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "2012 U.S. Olympic Team Trials (swimming) – Men's 400-metre freestyle (final)". Omega Timing. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- "London Olympics: Connor Jaeger, Fair Haven native, finishes sixth in 1,500 freestyle final". The Star-Ledger. August 4, 2012. Retrieved August 6, 2012.
- "15th FINA World Championships – Men's 400m freestyle". Omega Timing. Retrieved July 29, 2013.
- "15th FINA World Championships – Men's 800m freestyle". Omega Timing. Retrieved July 31, 2013.
- "Connor Jaeger Having Trouble Adjusting to the Dry Life" "Swimswam.com
- "USA Swimming – Individual Times Search". www.usaswimming.org. Retrieved 2016-04-06.