Consequence in 2007
|Birth name||Dexter Raymond Mills, Jr.|
|Also known as||Quence, Cons|
|Origin||Queens, New York City, New York, United States|
|Labels||Band Camp Records (current)
GOOD Music (former)
Dexter Raymond Mills, Jr., better known by his stage name Consequence, is an American hip hop recording artist from Queens, New York City, New York. Consequence debuted in 1996, appearing several times on A Tribe Called Quest's fourth album Beats, Rhymes, and Life, as he is the cousin of foreman Q-Tip. In March 2007, he released his debut album Don't Quit Your Day Job!, under Columbia Records and Kanye West's GOOD Music. Consequence left GOOD Music in 2011, on bad terms, after being signed with the label since 2005. He and West later reconciled, despite Consequence speaking ill of West. Consequence subsequently launched his own record label, Band Camp Records, following his departure from GOOD Music.
Feud with Pusha T
After Pusha T released "My God", the first offering off his solo mixtape, former GOOD Music label-mate Consequence took to Twitter and claimed Pusha T stole his flow and lyrics from a song of his that Pusha T was supposed to appear on, titled "The Last Supper". On July 22, 2011 Consequence released a song titled "The Plagurist Society" where he takes shots and questions Pusha T’s coke-dealing raps. Towards the end of the record the Queens native promises to take aim at Kanye West next saying "You're nothing but a body shield, for that coward from the mid-west/ so yes you can bet, that your boss is next". Pusha T responded to the diss when he appeared on Chicago’s 107.5 WGCI’s The Morning Riot and said nobody is looking for Consequence, as for if he will respond on a record he went on to say "At the end of the day I am an artist and this whole rap thing is fun to me, so I can't say you won't hear nothing, but to go back and forth with him, it's not right, I won't get anything out of it." Later that day, Consequence called in to Chicago’s WGCI’s The Morning Riot in retaliation to the remarks Pusha T made about him. He also premiered a song titled "Everybody Told Me 2 (Straighten It Out)" where he disses West, Pusha T and GOOD Music in general. Since then Pusha T has responded to Consequence on a record. The song was the remix to Ace Hood's "Go 'N' Get It" which also featured Beanie Sigel, Busta Rhymes and Styles P. In the song Pusha raps "Consequence, nigga, talk is cheap You don't want a problem? Off the beef Before I off his ass with his awful teeth". On August 19, Consequence released Movies on Demand 3 and continued to diss his former label and Pusha T on songs such as "Career Killer" and "Mr.RapFix (Hot Water)". On September 15, 2011 Consequence appeared on MTV's Rap Fix and announced his feud with Kanye West and GOOD Music was over. While out in Chicago in October 2011, Pusha T appeared on WGCI radio for a second time, and confirmed that the "beef" was indeed over, that it had died out and they have moved on. In January 2015, the two officially ended the feud when Consequence took to his Instagram page to let the people know: "All G.O.O.D. in 2015, Pusha [T] and I deaded everything and we creatively vibed with Kanye for this new LP."
Feud with Joe Budden
On March 13, 2013 Consequence assaulted fellow rapper and reality TV show actor Joe Budden during their Love & Hip Hop TV show reunion. Consequence reportedly assaulted Budden by sneaking behind him and hitting him from behind and then running away after being immediately struck back by Budden's ex-girlfriend who was also present. Budden immediately spoke on Angie Martinez radio show about the incident and stated he would retaliate to the incident. After the reunion ended, Budden reportedly assaulted Consequence in retaliation outside of the venue. The event was captured on cell phone footage.
|U.S.||U.S. Rap||U.S. Independent||U.S. Heatseekers|
|2007||Don't Quit Your Day Job!||113||12||10||1|
|2016||A Good Comeback Story
- Take 'Em To The Cleaners (2004)
- The Cons Vol. 4: Finish What You Started (2006)
- The Cons Vol. 5: Refuse 2 Die (2007)
- The Cons Vol. 6: King of Queens (2009)
- Movies on Demand (2010)
- Movies on Demand II (2011)
- Movies on Demand III (2011)
- Curb Certified (2011)
- Movies on Demand IV (2013)
|1997||"Queens Get The Money" (featuring Havoc of Mobb Deep)||—||Niggaz Get The Money EP|
|2003||"Turn Ya Self In"||—||Take 'Em To The Cleaners|
|2005||"Caught Up in the Hype"||—||Non-album single|
|2006||"Callin' Me"||—||Don't Quit Your Day Job!|
|2007||"Don't Forget 'Em"||—|
|"The Good, The Bad, The Ugly" (featuring Kanye West)||—|
|2009||"Whatever You Want" (featuring Kanye West and John Legend)||112||Non-album single|
|2012||"Something Light" (featuring Pooch Hall)||—||Non-album single|
|2013||"Going Thru Withdrawal" (featuring Mysonne & Jae Millz)||—||Non-album single|
|2014||"The Whole World" (featuring Mark Crozer)||—||Non-album single|
|2017||"All Black Neighborhood" (featuring Royce da 5'9")||—||Non-album single|
As featured artist
|2004||"Spaceship" (Kanye West feat. GLC, Consequence)||—||124||The College Dropout|
|2005||"Gone"[A] (Kanye West feat. Cam'Ron, Consequence)||18||6||Late Registration|
|2006||"Grammy Family" (DJ Khaled feat. Kanye West, Consequence, and John Legend)||—||124||Listennn... the Album and Don't Quit Your Day Job!|
|2007||"Anything" (Patti LaBelle feat. Kanye West and Consequence)||—||64||The Gospel According to Patti LaBelle|
- "Gone" charted in October 2013, following increased sales as a result of its use in a viral Internet video.
- A Tribe Called Quest – "The Chase, Part II" (Remix) on Midnight Marauders 1993
- A Tribe Called Quest – "Phony Rappers" on Beats, Rhymes and Life 1996
- A Tribe Called Quest – "Motivators" on Beats, Rhymes and Life 1996
- A Tribe Called Quest – "Jam" on Beats, Rhymes and Life 1996
- A Tribe Called Quest – "Mind Power" on Beats, Rhymes and Life 1996
- A Tribe Called Quest – "Baby Phife's Return" on Beats, Rhymes and Life 1996
- A Tribe Called Quest – "Word Play" on Beats, Rhymes and Life 1996
- A Tribe Called Quest – "Stressed Out" on Beats, Rhymes and Life 1996
- Kanye West – "Spaceship" on The College Dropout 2004
- Common – "They Say" (Alternate version) 2005
- Rell – "Real Love" 2004
- Kanye West – "Electric Relaxation" (Freshmen Adjustment) 2005
- Kanye West – "Gone" on Late Registration 2005
- Miri Ben-Ari – "I've Been Waiting on You" on The Hip-Hop Violinist 2005
- Consequence – "Couped Up" feat. DJ Swivel & Chris Stylez on DJ Whoo Kid – BET Awards Mixtape '06, Clinton Sparks – The Cons Vol. 4 2006
- Talib Kweli – "Engine Runnin'" on Liberation 2006
- Kanye West – "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" on Prelude to Graduation Mixtape 2007
- Kanye West – "Don't Forget 'Em" on "Can't Tell Me Nothing (mixtape)" 2007
- Beyoncé – "Suga Mama (Remix)" 2007
- Statik Selektah – "Express Yourself" (with Termanology & Talib Kweli) 2007
- Statik Selektah – "Mr Popularity" 2008
- Statik Selektah – "Life is Short" 2010
- AZ – "Heavy in da Game" 2008
- Kid Cudi – "Buggin' Out 2009" 2009
- Nefew – "Biko" on "Homesick" 2009
- Kanye West – "Chain Heavy" on "G.O.O.D. Fridays" 2010
- Beyoncé – "Party" (production with Kanye West) on "4" 2011
- Son of Light – "Love & Hate" 2012
- A Tribe Called Quest – "Whateva Will Be", "Mobius" (with Busta Rhymes), "Black Spasmodic", "The Killing Season" (with Kanye West, and Talib Kweli) – "We Got It from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service" 2016
|2013||Love & Hip Hop: New York||Himself||Supporting Cast|
- Consequence Claims Pusha T Stole Lines on "My God" Complex.com
- Pusha T Responds To Consequence 2dopeboyz.com
- Consequence Responds To Pusha T, Drops G.O.O.D. Music Diss 2dopeboyz.com
- Consequence – Everybody Told Me 2 (Pusha T, Kanye West, G.O.O.D. Music Diss) 2dopeboyz.com
- Consequence Says "Feud Is Over With Kanye West," Continues Feud With Q-Tip HipHopDX.com
- "Consequence Hits Joe Budden At 'Love & Hip Hop' Reunion Taping". Rapfix.mtv.com. 2013-03-13. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- Nadeska Alexis (2013-03-14). "Tahiry Punched Consequence To Defend Joe Budden, Jen The Pen Just Screams". Rapfix.mtv.com. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- Vasquez, Andres (2013-03-14). "Tahiry Explains Why She Punched Consequence For Joe Budden | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "Joe Budden & Consequence Fight Video Footage Released · Rap Basement". Rapbasement.com. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "Tahiry Explains Punching Consequence & Joe Budden Altercation (VIDEO)". Hip-Hop Wired. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "Joe Budden Talks Fight w/ Consequence (Audio)". 2DOPEBOYZ. 2013-03-12. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- Cooper, Roman (2013-03-13). "Consequence & Joe Budden Fight Video Footage Released | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- Ryon, Sean (2013-03-13). "UPDATE: Footage Of Joe Budden & Consequence's Fight Released - XXL". Xxlmag.com. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "Video: Consequence Gets Tossed By Joe Budden's Crew » RealTalkNY Brought To You By Nigel D". Realtalkny.uproxx.com. 2013-01-11. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "Tahiry Explains How Joe Budden Vs Consequence Went Down And Why She Punched Him". DDotOmen. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "Click to Play Don't Quit Your Day Job – Consequence". Billboard. Retrieved April 18, 2010.
- Gruger, William (October 9, 2013). "Kanye West's Long-'Gone' Song Debuts In Hot 100's Top 20". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved October 11, 2013.