Conservation Council of South Australia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Conservation Council of South Australia (Conservation SA) is an environmental organisation serving as a peak body, representing over 50 member groups. Combined, these groups represent over 90,000 South Australians with the common goals being the conservation and protection of the environment and a sustainable future.
The Council is an independent, non-profit and strictly non-party political organisation.
The organisation to 'give a voice to the growing environmental challenges that face us and the emerging solutions showing the way to the future.' Significant efforts of the organisation are directed to on-ground projects, education and engagement.
The Conservation Council of South Australia informs the public and government on key environmental issues and participates in government and community processes that seek to restore and protect the natural environment. The Council liaises with industry, government departments, unions, community organisations and all political parties. By nominating individuals to sit on government committees, the Council provides the community with opportunities for direct input into government decision making.
The Conservation Council of South Australia presents the Jill Hudson Award for Environmental Excellence annually. Past recipients have included Jillian Marsh (1998) David Noonan, Joel Catchlove & Sophie Green, Richard Owen, the Kupa Piti Kunga Tjuta Aboriginal Corporation, Kevin Buzzacott, Anne Daw (2013) and Mark Parnell (2004).
In early 2015 Conservation SA moved its headquarters to the disused former interstate bus terminal building in Franklin Street, owned by the Adelaide City Council, creating a community environment space called The Joinery. The building houses offices sublet to other environmental and sustainability related organisations, groups and businesses, and a former carpark area has been converted to a community garden shared with the community housing group Common Ground.
Member Groups (2016)
- Adelaide Hills Climate Action Group
- Aldgate Valley Landcare Group Inc.
- Aldinga Bay Coastcare Inc.
- Association of South East Field Naturalists Societies
- Australian Conservation Foundation
- Australian Institute of Landscape Architects (SA Group)
- Australian Nuclear Free Alliance
- Australian Plants Society (SA Region) Inc.
- Bicycle Institute of South Australia Inc.
- Bird Care & Conservation Society Inc.
- Birds SA
- Brownhill Creek Association Incorporated
- Coastal Ecology Protection Group
- Cheltenham Park Residents Association Inc.
- Citizens Own Renewable Energy Network Australia
- Clean Bight Alliance Australia
- Community Alliance SA Inc.
- Echidna Care
- Eco-Action KI
- Economic Reform Australia Inc.
- Field Naturalists Society of SA
- Fishers for Conservation Inc.
- Friends of Parks Inc.
- Friends of the Earth Adelaide Inc.
- Friends of Willunga Basin
- Gawler Environment & Heritage Association Inc.
- Greening Australia (SA)
- Landscape Partnerships Inc.
- Limestone Coast Protection Alliance
- Marine Life Society of SA Inc.
- National Trust of South Australia
- Natural History Society of South Australia Inc.
- Nature Conservation Society of SA
- North East Hills Environmental Conservation Association
- Nuclear Operations Watch Port Adelaide
- Orienteering SA Inc.
- People for Public Transport SA
- Permaculture Association of SA Inc.
- Port Adelaide Residents Environment Protection Group
- River, Lakes & Coorong Action Group Inc.
- SA Genetic Food Information Network Inc.
- SA Herpetology Group Inc.
- Scientific Expedition Group Inc.
- Spencer Gulf Environmental Alliance
- St Agnes Bushwalking & Natural History Club Inc.
- Sustainable Communities SA Inc.
- Sustainable Population Australia SA Branch
- Tennyson Dunes Group
- Toyota Landcruiser Club of Australia (SA)
- The Wilderness Society (South Australia) Inc.
- Transition Gawler
- Trees For Life
- Vegetarian & Vegan Society (VegSA) Inc.
- Walking SA
- West Mallee Protection
- Western Adelaide Coastal Residents’ Association
- Zoos SA
- CCSA > About Conservation Council of South Australia. Accessed 14 December 2013.
- "Eco eNews September 2008, Issue 55". ecovoice.com.au. Retrieved 2016-04-13.
- "Eco eNews April 2007, Issue 41". www.ecovoice.com.au. Retrieved 2016-04-13.
- Media, Fairfax Regional. "Anne takes out Hudson award". Coastal Leader. Retrieved 2016-04-13.
- "About Mark Parnell - Greens MLC South Australia". www.markparnell.org.au. Retrieved 2016-04-13.
- The Joinery Conservation Council of South Australia Inc., Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- Belinda Willis: Green village taking root in old city bus station. The Advertiser, 4 June 2015. Accessed 4 June 2015.
- CCSA > South Australian Environment Awards 2015 Conservation Council of South Australia. Accessed 5 January 2016.