|Designer(s)||Luc(as) de Groot|
Consolas is a monospaced typeface, designed by Luc(as) de Groot. It is a part of the ClearType Font Collection, a suite of fonts that take advantage of Microsoft's ClearType font rendering technology. It has been included with Windows since Windows Vista, Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, and is available for download from Microsoft. It is the only standard Windows Vista font with a slash through the zero character.
Consolas supports the following OpenType layout features: stylistic alternates, localized forms, uppercase-sensitive forms, oldstyle figures, lining figures, arbitrary fractions, superscript, subscript.
Although Consolas is designed as a replacement for Courier New, only 713 glyphs were initially available, as compared to Courier New (2.90)'s 1318 glyphs. In version 5.22 (included with Windows 7), support for Greek Extended, Combining Diacritical Marks For Symbols, Number Forms, Arrows, Box Drawing, and Geometric Shapes was added. In version 5.32 the total number of supported glyphs was 2735. In version 7.00 (as part of Windows 10 1909) there are 3030 glyphs in total.
This font, along with Calibri, Cambria, Candara, Corbel and Constantia, is also distributed with Microsoft Excel Viewer, Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer, the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Microsoft Windows and the Open XML File Format Converter for Mac.
Consolas is also available for licensing from Ascender Corporation.
Bare Bones Software has licensed the font from Ascender for use in their text editor BBEdit.
- "Consolas - Version 5.32". 2016-04-05. Archived from the original on 2020-08-02. Retrieved 2020-08-02.CS1 maint: unfit URL (link)
- "Font List Windows 10 - Typography". docs.microsoft.com. Retrieved 2 August 2020.
- Excel Viewer
- Powerpoint Viewer
- Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats
- Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.2.1
- "Google Fonts". Google Fonts. Retrieved 2017-08-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Consolas.|
- Microsoft Typography page
- Van Wagener, Anne (2005-03-04). "The Next Big Thing in Online Type". The Design Desk. Poynter Online. Retrieved 2006-06-05.