Consolidated rental car facility
A consolidated rental car facility (CRCF) is a complex that hosts numerous rental car agencies. They are often found at American airports. The incentive for building consolidated facilities are numerous, including: less congestion on surface streets, more convenience for rental car company employees, greater efficiencies for rental car companies, and numerous environmental benefits from reduced emissions to consolidated, professionally managed fueling stations. Typical services to the rental car companies include onsite offices, fueling, car wash, car prep (vacuums, windshield wiper fluids, and trash services), and light maintenance areas.
A CRCF may include the following areas: Customer Service Area/Building (CSA/CSB); Garage or "ready/return" areas; and back of house prepping areas or "Quick-Turn-Around" (QTA) stations.
On May 21, 2015, Chicago's O'hare International Airport broke ground on a consolidated rental car and public parking facility, a $782 million project which will result in 4,200 rental car company spaces and 2,600 public parking spaces. The project is expected to be completed in 2018.
Also in the final stages of construction are CRCFs located in San Diego, California, Austin, Texas, San Antonio, Texas, and Salt Lake City, Utah. They all plan on opening to the public in late 2015 to early 2016.
Consolidated rental car facilities often result in higher rental car fees, long distances between facilities and the airports they serve, and frustration over consolidated rental car shuttles, which can be crowded.
- "SMF > History". Sacramento County Airport System. 2013. Retrieved 2013-01-26.
- "Newark Liberty International Airport > Ground Transportation > Car Rental". Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "DFW International Airport Board Proposed FY 2010 Budget (p.77)" (PDF). Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. 2000. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- "Travel Media Information". 2007-06-28. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Rental Car Facility Art - Albuquerque International Sunport - City of Albuquerque". 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport". 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "Consolidated". 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "Construction Contract Review of the Consolidated Rental Car Facility (RAC) at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport" (PDF). Broward County. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "References" (PDF). City of Phoenix. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "McCarran Rent-A-Car Center" (PDF). Clark County Department of Aviation. 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- Yu, Roger (2007-04-29). "Airport Check-in: Kansas City rentals in one place". USA Today. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- Yu, Roger (2007-07-22). "Airport Check-in: Seattle-Tacoma considers holiday decor". USA Today. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- . Department of Aviation-City of Atlanta. 2009 > History http://www.atlanta-airport.com/forms/airport/frmAirportInformationConstruction_CONRAC.aspx > History Check
|url=scheme (help). Retrieved 2015-08-18. Missing or empty
- "MIA RCC". Miami Dade County Aviation Department. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Terminal Area Improvement Program" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Airport Celebrates Opening Of New Larger Rental Car Facility" (TV). Nashville, Tennessee: WTVF. 2011-11-16. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "New Rental Car Facility To Open At Nashville Airport". Airport Magazine. 2011-10-25. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Consolidated Parking and Rental Car Facility is the Most Complete Airport Ground Transportation Center in the Country". Memphis-Shelby County Airport Authority. 2011-01-06. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- Yu, Roger (2007-04-15). "Airport Check-in: Harrisburg mosaic restored". USA Today. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Rental car facility to open at Sea-Tac". The News Tribune. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "Energy Efficiency". Port of Seattle. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Positive Economic Sign: Rental Car Facility Construction Starts Back". Port of Seattle. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- Yu, Roger (2009-10-06). "Airports spread out check-in kiosks to cut down on lines". USA Today. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Consolidated Rent-A-Car (CONRAC) Garage". New Orleans: Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport. 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Airport Expansion - A New Plan for the Future - 09/01/2011". New Orleans: Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport. 2011-09-01. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- Yu, Roger (2008-04-21). "Airport Check-in: Sculpture inspired by flight takes wing". USA Today. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Big Move For Rental Car Companies At Logan Airport". CBSBoston.com. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- "New car rental facility opens at Charlotte Douglas International". wsoctv.com. Retrieved 2015-04-21.
- "MAYOR EMANUEL BREAKS GROUND FOR INTERMODAL FACILITY AT ORD".