Conspiracy of One
|Conspiracy of One|
|Studio album by The Offspring|
|Released||November 14, 2000|
|The Offspring chronology|
|The Offspring studio album chronology|
|Brazilian limited edition|
from MTV Brazil's contest: "Design The Offspring's album cover"
|Singles from Conspiracy of One|
|The A.V. Club||Negative|
|Christgau's Consumer Guide|||
|Drowned in Sound||2/10|
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
Conspiracy of One is the sixth studio album by the American punk rock band The Offspring, released on November 14, 2000 through Columbia Records. Following a worldwide tour in support of its previous album, Americana (1998), The Offspring commenced work on a new album. By the time of its release, the band had come out in support of peer-to-peer file sharing, claiming it would not hurt sales. Conspiracy of One was originally planned to be released directly on their website before retail, until their label threatened to sue and the album ended up as a physical release. It would end up becoming The Offspring's final studio album with drummer Ron Welty, as he left the band in early 2003 to pursue his career with Steady Ground.
Conspiracy of One debuted at number nine on the Billboard 200 with around 125,000 copies sold in its first week, and spawned the singles "Original Prankster", "Want You Bad", and "Million Miles Away". The band supported the album with a worldwide tour. Although the album was not as successful as Americana, it was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) in the United States.
Background and recording
The Offspring spent much of 1999 on tour promoting the Americana album. They also appeared at the infamous Woodstock 1999, where their performance was broadcast live on pay-per-view television. After some time off, the members reconvened in early 2000 to begin work on new material, nine songs of which were in the demo phase at the time. Frontman Dexter Holland told Rolling Stone in May 2000 that, "we came home last Christmas and we kind of took a month just trying to recoup and we started thinking, 'Well, do we want to get started on another record right away?'. "We're all pretty excited about the way things have gone so I spent a couple of months trying to come up with some new material and then [started] jamming out these demos." The Offspring officially entered the studio to begin recording sessions for Conspiracy of One in June 2000. For the recording of the album, the band tapped Brendan O'Brien as its producer and recorded the album at NRG studios in North Hollywood, California over a two-month period.
Conspiracy of One was released on November 14, 2000 and peaked at number 9 on the US Billboard 200 album chart. Five weeks after its release, the album was certified gold and platinum. The album was also successful in Canada, selling 25,231 copies in its first week and debuting at #4 on the Canadian Albums Chart. The album was certified 2x Platinum by the CRIA in February 2007.
Liana Jonas of AllMusic described Conspiracy of One as The Offspring's "most musically mature collection to date". Jonas praised the music as "tight arrangements, vocal interplay and refined guitar work" and claims the band injected "elements of hip hop, rap metal, and Nirvana-like grunge into a few songs". The album received a rating of three and a half out of five stars, while producing three singles, "Original Prankster", "Want You Bad" and "Million Miles Away", that earned The Offspring its commercial success. So far, the album holds a score of 60 out of 100 from Metacritic based on "mixed or average reviews". The album was included at number 13 on Rock Sound's "The 51 Most Essential Pop Punk Albums of All Time" list.
All tracks written by Bryan Keith Holland, Kevin John Wasserman, Gregory David Kriesel, Ronald Welty.
|2.||"Come Out Swinging"||2:47|
|4.||"Want You Bad"||3:23|
|5.||"Million Miles Away"||3:40|
|6.||"Dammit, I Changed Again"||2:49|
|7.||"Living in Chaos"||3:28|
|9.||"One Fine Day"||2:45|
|13.||"Conspiracy of One"||2:17|
|Australian and European bonus track|
|Japanese bonus tracks|
|15.||"The Kids Aren't Alright" (Live)||3:03|
|Vinyl bonus track|
|14.||"80 Times" (T.S.O.L. cover)||2:07|
|Best Buy bonus tracks|
|14.||"Staring At The Sun" (Live)||2:28|
|15.||"All I Want" (Live)||2:08|
|Australia (ARIA)||2× Platinum||140,000+^|
|Austria (IFPI Austria)||Gold||8,000+*|
|Brazil (Pro-Música Brasil)||Gold||100,000*|
|Canada (Music Canada)||2× Platinum||200,000^|
|France (SNEP)||2× Gold||200,000*|
|Japan (RIAJ)||2× Platinum||400,000^|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||Platinum||15,000^|
|Norway (IFPI Norway)||Gold||25,000*|
|Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)||Platinum||50,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||100,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Dexter Holland – lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Noodles – lead guitar, backing vocals
- Greg K. – bass, backing vocals
- Ron Welty – drums
- Brendan O'Brien - producer, mixing
- Justin Beope – design
- Billy Bowers – engineer
- Nick DiDia – engineer
- David Dominguez – assistant engineer
- Karl Egsieker – mixing
- Ryan Williams – mixing
- Sean Evans – art direction
- Alan Forbes – illustrations
- Ross Garfield – drum technician
- Sarkis Kaloustian – design
- Steve Masi – guitar technician
- Eddy Schreyer – mastering
- General references
- Conspiracy of One (CD liner). The Offspring. Columbia Records. 2000.
- "Offspring, The – Conspiracy Of One". Discogs. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "Critic reviews for Conspiracy Of One". Metacritic. Retrieved 2012-10-23.
- "Conspiracy of One". AllMusic. Retrieved 2007-12-20.
- "The Offspring: Conspiracy of One". Alternative Press: 81. January 2001.
- Thompson, Stephen (14 November 2000). "The Offspring: Conspiracy Of One". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
- Kimmitt, James (13 November 2000). "The Offspring: Conspiracy of One". Drowned in Sound. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
- Browne, David (2000-11-17). "Conspiracy of One Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- Christgau, Robert (2000-10-15). "The Offspring". Christgau's Consumer Guide: Albums of the '90s. Macmillan Publishing. ISBN 9780312245603.
- Kemp, Rob (2000-11-23). "The Offspring: Conspiracy of One : Music Reviews". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 2007-10-01. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- Brackett, Nathan; Hoard, Christian, eds. (2004). The New Rolling Stone Album Guide. Simon & Schuster. ISBN 0-7432-0169-8.
- "The Offspring: Conspiracy of One". Select: 106. Jan 2001.
- Sinagra, Laura (January 2001). "The Offspring: Conspiracy of One (Sony)". Spin: 113. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
- Joe D'Angelo (2003-12-17). "Ruben Debuts At #1 But Can't Match Clay's First-Week Sales - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. Retrieved 2010-12-19.
- Stephen Thomas Erlewine (May 1, 2000). "Offspring Prep for Next Album". Euro.Real.com. Retrieved 2010-08-19.[permanent dead link]
- "Conspiracy of One's entry at Billboard.com". Billboard.com. Archived from the original on September 29, 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-20.
- "RIAA Certification (type in "Offspring" in the artist box)". RIAA. Archived from the original on 2007-06-26. Retrieved 2007-12-20.
- "'Beatles 1' debuts at #1 in Canada". Jam!. Archived from the original on 2012-07-09. Retrieved 2011-04-03.
- "Gold & Platinum Certification - February 2007". Canadian Recording Industry Association. Archived from the original on 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2011-04-03.
- Bird, ed. 2014, p. 73
- "BMI Entry". Repertoire.bmi.com. Archived from the original on 2015-10-16. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- "Conspiracy of One - Chart Positions" HitParade.ch.
- "The Offspring - Charts & Awards - Billboard Albums" AllMusic.
- "Media Control Charts - The Offspring" Media Control Charts.
- "Oricon Album Charts Search for The Offspring" Oricon.
- "Polish Charts Database - Search for The Offspring - Conspiracy of One" Polish Albums Chart.
- "Chart Log UK (1994–2006) The O – Ozric Tentacles" Zobbel.
- NO certyear WAS PROVIDED for AUSTRALIAN CERTIFICATION.
- "Austrian album certifications – The Offspring – Conspiracy Of One" (in German). IFPI Austria. Enter The Offspring in the field Interpret. Enter Conspiracy Of One in the field Titel. Select album in the field Format. Click Suchen.
- NO certyear WAS PROVIDED for BELGIAN CERTIFICATION.
- "Brazilian album certifications – The Offspring – Conspiracy Of One" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos.
- "Canadian album certifications – The Offspring – Conspiracy Of One". Music Canada.
- "The Offspring" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "French album certifications – The Offspring – Conspiracy Of One" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (The Offspring; 'Conspiracy Of One')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Italian album certifications – The Offspring – Conspiracy Of One" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana.
- "Japanese album certifications – The Offspring – Conspiracy Of One" (in Japanese). Recording Industry Association of Japan.
- "Dutch album certifications – The Offspring – Conspiracy Of One" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Vereniging van Producenten en Importeurs van beeld- en geluidsdragers. Enter Conspiracy Of One in the "Artiest of titel" box.
- THE FIELD id (chart number) MUST BE PROVIDED for NEW ZEALAND CERTIFICATION.
- "Norwegian album certifications – The Offspring – Conspiracy Of One" (in Norwegian). IFPI Norway.
- "Polish album certifications – The Offspring – Conspiracy Of One" (in Polish). Polish Society of the Phonographic Industry.
- "Spanish album certifications – The Offspring – Conspiracy Of One" (PDF) (in Spanish). Productores de Música de España. Select album under "Chart", enter the certification year in the field "Year". Select the certification month in the field "Semana". Click on "Search Charts".
- "Guld- och Platinacertifikat − År 2003" (PDF) (in Swedish). IFPI Sweden.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (The Offspring; 'Conspiracy Of One')". IFPI Switzerland. Hung Medien.
- "British album certifications – The Offspring – Conspiracy Of One". British Phonographic Industry. Select albums in the Format field. Select Gold in the Certification field. Enter Conspiracy Of One in the search field and then press Enter.
- "American album certifications – The Offspring – Conspiracy Of One". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.
- NO certyear WAS PROVIDED for EUROPEAN CERTIFICATION.