Constance M. Rockosi
Constance M. Rockosi
|Education||B.S.E., Electrical Engineering, Princeton University|
Ph. D., Astronomy and Astrophysics, University of Chicago
|Employer||University of California, Santa Cruz|
Constance "Connie" M. Rockosi is a chair of the Astronomy and Astrophysics Department at the University of California, Santa Cruz. She earned her PhD in 2001 and helped design the camera for the telescope that was used as part of the initial Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS). She also was in charge of the SDSS-III domain for the Sloan Extension for Galactic Understanding and Exploration (SEGUE) project and is the primary investigator on SEGUE-II. Her focuses involve the study of the Milky Way galaxy, with a focus on the evolution that it took to reach its current state. She believes that through the study of our own galaxy, and the way that it formed, we can understand the formation of other galaxies during the Redshift phase of their creation. The purpose of her research is to explore the effects of major accretion events in the formation of the Milky Way, to understand why certain properties of the galaxy exist as they do.
Past research projects that Rockosi has worked with have focused on the mapping of the sky and the stars, to get a better understanding of star formations. Her research has continued to help her and her students understand the reasons why spiral galaxies form and exist as they do today.
- "UCO Lick Observatory". ucolick.org.
- "Chemical Abundance Trends in the Milky Way Disk: Implications on the Origin of the Galactic Thick Disk". eScholarship. UC Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, California: UC Santa Cruz. June 2012. Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- Koppes, Steve (15 November 2007). "Sloan Digital Sky Survey: Universe of data changes face of astronomy". Chronicle. Chicago, Illinois: The University of Chicago. 27 (5). Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- Janek, Vanessa (6 January 2015). "Hearing the Early Universe's Scream: Sloan Survey Announces New Findings". Universe Today. Retrieved 31 October 2015.
- Moskowitz, Clara (10 January 2012). "Milky Way Galaxy's Past Revealed Through New Star Census". Space. Retrieved 31 October 2015.
- "UCSC Faculty Pages".
- "Dr. Rockosi's personal website".
|This article about an American physicist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This United States astronomer article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|