|Founded||Frankfurt, Germany (1 April 1950)|
Bernd Eichinger (†2011)
|Revenue||267 Mil. € (2017)|
|Owner||Highlight Communications (FWB: HLG)|
Number of employees
|829 (December 2017)|
Constantin Film AG is a German film production and film distribution company based in Munich. The company, which belongs to Highlight Communications AG, is a large independent German maker and distributor of productions in the entire field of audio-visual fiction and non-fiction. Company activity is based on the five pillars of film production/procurement of rights, TV production, film distribution, home entertainment and licence trading/TV exploitation. Constantin Film AG has released 36 of the 100 most successful German films of the last 20 years, including four of the Top 5: Manitou's Shoe (11.7 million viewers), (T)raumschiff Surprise - Periode 1 (9 million), Fack ju Göhte (7.3 million) and Fack ju Göhte 2 (7.7 million). The Fack ju Göhte trilogy was concluded in 2017 with Fack ju Göhte 3 (6 million viewers) and is now the most successful German film series of all time. Internationally, Constantin Film is best known for the successful Resident Evil movie franchise, which has earned US$1.2 billion worldwide to date and is also known as the highest-grossing film series based on a video game. Most recent successes include TV series Shadowhunters, which won four People's Choice Awards in 2018. Constantin has also been involved in 20th Century Fox's Fantastic Four film franchise. Upcoming productions include bestseller adaption The Silence and Monster Hunter.[failed verification]
Constantin Filmverleih GmbH was founded in West Germany on 1 April 1950 by Preben Philipsen and Waldfried Barthel, who would later become the head of publicity for the company. It was originally the country's national distributor of films produced by Columbia Pictures and United Artists. Throughout the 1950s, Constantin distributed both popular and art-house films from several nations as well as medium-budgeted domestic films.
Constantin's popularity grew through the late 1950s to the 1960s by not only distributing popular films but creating its own in-house talent roster of contract players (Joachim Fuchsberger, Heinz Drache), directors and producers (Wolf C. Hartwig), as well as co-financing international co-production films shot in Italy, such as the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, the films of Harry Alan Towers and others using their own stable of stars. Constantin also had great success with their Jerry Cotton film series,:82–87 though projected film series of Sherlock Holmes, Jules Maigret and Perry Rhodan only had one entry.
Constantin Filmverleih was renamed to Constantin Film GmbH on 21 September 1964, and on 1 July 1965, Bertelsmann Publishing became the majority shareholder of Constantin. They attempted to increase output without increasing investment that resulted in the demise of many of the studio's popular film series, investment in sex films, and a stronger emphasis on releasing films from other nations rather than shooting their own. Bertelsmann sold its shares in 1969.:86–87 The "old" Constantin Film GmbH was eventually declared bankrupt in October 1977.
Founded in 1979 by Bernd Eichinger as Neue Constantin Film after acquiring the assets of the bankrupt "old" Constantin Film GmbH the previous year, Constantin Film developed into the first German film distributor with its own production company in just six years, with production activities extending to the international market. In 1986, the Kirch Group (at the time Europe's biggest film and TV license traders) acquired a minority stake in Neue Constantin Film.
In the following years, Constantin Film fixed its position on the international movie market by establishing various production subsidiaries across Europe in 1996. At the end of the 1990s, Constantin Film acquired majority stakes in the film production companies Olga Film GmbH, Engram Pictures and MOOVIE GmbH. In September 1999, the company then went public on the German stock market as Constantin Film AG. Deutsche Börse placed the Constantin Film share on the selection index Nemax 50 in March 2000.
Constantin Film AG founded Rat Pack Filmproduktion GmbH with producer Christian Becker and his team in 2001. The Swiss Highlight Communications AG (a strategy and finance holding with the operative segments of film and sports and event marketing) acquired 23 percent of the capital stock of Constantin Film AG from Kirch Beteiligungs GmbH und Co. KG and from diversified holdings for the first time in 2002. In 2003, the board of Constantin Film AG embarked on a new strategic path for the company: the traditional business areas of production and distribution were expanded to include the three areas of license trading, home entertainment exploitation and increased TV service production (especially TV entertainment). Constantin Film AG also acquired 61 percent of the shares in KirchMedia Entertainment GmbH (now renamed Constantin Entertainment GmbH), one of the market leaders in German show and entertainment production. The stake was increased to 100 percent in 2005.
At the end of 2009, the listing of Constantin Film AG expired; all the shares were transferred to Highlight Communications after a squeeze-out. As of 7 October 2009, Constantin Film is no longer listed at the Frankfurter Börse.
Since January 2017 Bernhard Burgener is chairman of the supervisory board, with Martin Moszkowicz as chairman of the executive board. In this capacity, Moszkowicz is responsible for the company's film business, including worldwide production and distribution, world sales, marketing and publicity as well as corporate communication and legal affairs.
Oliver Berben has joined the Constantin Film AG Managing Board on 1 January 2017. The newly created division “TV, Entertainment and Digital Media” concentrates the development and manufacture of all national and international productions of the company that are not intended for cinema exploitation. Oliver Berben founded the MOOVIE GmbH in 1996, which became a subsidiary of Constantin Film AG in 1999. In January 2009, Oliver Berben also assumed the position of Managing Director "Production" of Constantin Film Production GmbH. Oliver Berben will continue his work as a producer.
The most successful license titles and internal or co-productions in Germany include (in terms of numbers of viewers) The Never Ending Story (approx. 5 million), The Name of the Rose (5.9 million), Das Geisterhaus (nearly 4 million), Dances With Wolves (nearly 6.8 million), Seven (more than 2.8 million), The Sixth Sense (more than 4 million), Maybe... Maybe Not (more than 6.6 million), Werner – Beinhart! (more than 4.9 million), Rossini (more than 3.2 million), Ballermann 6 (more than 2.4 million), Asterix & Obelix vs. Caesar (nearly 3.6 million), Werner – Volles Rooäää!!! (nearly 2.8 million), American Pie (more than 6 million viewers, the biggest film of 2000), Downfall (more than 4.6 million viewers. Oscar-nominated), Perfume - The Story of a Murderer (nearly 5.6 million), The Baader-Meinhof Complex (more than 2.4 million), Manitou's Shoe (the second-most successful German film ever with more than 11.7 million viewers), Dreamship Surprise – Period 1 (9 million), Lissi and the Wild Emperor (more than 2.2 million), Vicky the Viking (nearly 5 million), Nowhere in Africa (1.66 million viewers. Oscar winner for "Best Foreign Language Film" in 2003), The Wave (more than 2.5 Mio), Hui Buh (more than 2 million), The White Massai (more than 2.2. million), Männersache (1.8 million), Horst Schlämmer – Isch kandidiere! (1.35 million), Maria, He Doesn't Like It (1.3 million), Pope Joan (2.3 million), the Wild Chicks series (3.2 million), Girls on Top (nearly 1.8 million), Türkisch für Anfänger (2.4 million), Suck me Shakespeer (7.3 million) and the international self-production Resident Evil (3.6 million viewers), which developed into a successful international franchise.
List of films produced by Constantin Film
- Die Göttin vom Rio Beni (1951)
- Das war unser Rommel (1953)
- The Great Test (1954)
- The Seven Dresses of Katrin (1954)
- Der schweigende Enge (1954)
- The Ambassador's Wife (1955)
- Charley's Aunt (1956)
- Flucht in die Tropennacht (1957)
- Girls of the Night (1958)
- Il bacio del sole (Don Vesuvio) (1958)
- The Crimson Circle (1960)
- We Will Never Part (1960)
- The Strange Countess (1961)
- The Inn on the River (1962)
- Sherlock Holmes and the Deadly Necklace (1962)
- Death Drums Along the River (1963)
- Golden Goddess of Rio Beni (1964)
- A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
- Bullets Don't Argue (1964)
- The Curse of the Hidden Vault (1964)
- Massacre at Marble City (1964)
- Traitor's Gate (1964)
- Freddy, Tiere, Sensationen (1964)
- Black Eagle of Santa Fe (1965)
- Manhattan Night of Murder (1965)
- Seven Hours of Gunfire (1965)
- Tread Softly (1965)
- The Face of Fu Manchu (1965)
- For a Few Dollars More (1965)
- Heidi (1965)
- Old Surehand (1965)
- Circus of Fear (1966)
- The Trap Snaps Shut at Midnight (1966)
- Tip Not Included (1966)
- The Pipes (1966)
- The Brides of Fu Manchu (1966)
- Requiem for a Secret Agent (1966)
- Maigret und sein grösster Fall (1966)
- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
- Murderers Club of Brooklyn (1967)
- The Vengeance of Fu Manchu (1967)
- Creature with the Blue Hand (1967)
- Five Golden Dragons (1967)
- Mission Stardust (1967)
- Desert Commandos (1967)
- A Degree of Murder (1967)
- Grand Slam (1967)
- The Blood Demon (1967)
- Wenn es Nacht wird auf der Reeperbahn (1967)
- The House of 1,000 Dolls (1967)
- Man, Pride & Vengeance (1967)
- Death and Diamonds (1968)
- The Hound of Blackwood Castle (1968)
- Death in the Red Jaguar (1968)
- The Blood of Fu Manchu (1968)
- Helga and Michael (1968)
- Up the Establishment (1969)
- The Man with the Glass Eye (1969)
- Cry of the Black Wolves (1972)
- Only the Wind Knows the Answer (1974)
- The Secret Carrier (1975)
List of films produced by Constantin Film Production GmbH
- 1982 - Christiane F. – We Children from Bahnhof Zoo
- 1984 - The NeverEnding Story
- 1986 - The Name of the Rose
- 1989 - Last Exit to Brooklyn
- 1990 - Werner – Beinhart!
- 1993 - The House of the Spirits
- 1994 - The Fantastic Four (unreleased)
- 1994 - Der Bewegte Mann
- 1996 - Werner – Das muß kesseln!!!
- 1997 - Smilla's Sense of Snow
- 1999 - Werner – Volles Rooäää!!!
- 2001 - Der Schuh des Manitu (Manitou's Shoe)
- 2001 - Bandits
- 2001 - Emil and the Detectives
- 2002 - Resident Evil
- 2003 - Wrong Turn
- 2003 - Werner – Gekotzt wird später!
- 2004 - Resident Evil: Apocalypse
- 2004 - Downfall (German: Der Untergang)
- 2005 - Fantastic Four
- 2005 - The Dark
- 2005 - Before the Fall
- 2005 - Die wilden Hühner
- 2006 - Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (German: Das Parfüm – Die Geschichte eines Mörders)
- 2007 - Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
- 2007 - Resident Evil: Extinction
- 2007 - Die Wilden Hühner und die Liebe
- 2008 - The Baader-Meinhof Complex (German: Der Baader Meinhof Komplex)
- 2008 - The Wave
- 2009 - Vorstadtkrokodile (German film)
- 2009 - Pandorum
- 2009 - Die Wilden Hühner und das Leben
- 2010 - Resident Evil: Afterlife
- 2010 - Vorstadtkrokodile 2 (German film)
- 2010 - We Are the Night
- 2011 - The Three Musketeers
- 2011 - Vorstadtkrokodile 3 (German film)
- 2011 - Werner – Eiskalt!
- 2012 - Resident Evil: Retribution
- 2012 - Fünf Freunde (Famous Five)
- 2012 - Heiter bis Wolkig (Fair to Cloudy)
- 2013 - Tarzan
- 2013 - The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
- 2013 - 3096
- 2013 - Fack ju Göhte (Suck Me Shakespeer)
- 2014 - Pompeii
- 2014 - Love, Rosie
- 2014 - Schossgebete
- 2015 - Fantastic Four
- 2015 - Fack ju Göhte 2
- 2015 - Look Who's Back
- 2016 - Shadowhunters
- 2016 - Gut zu Vögeln
- 2017 - Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
- 2017 - Timm Thaler oder das verkaufte Lachen
- 2017 - Tigergirl
- 2017 - Axolotl Overkill
- 2017 - Das Pubertier - Der Film
- 2017 - Ostwind - Aufbruch nach Ora
- 2017 - Grießnockerlaffäre
- 2017 - Tigermilch
- 2017 - Jugend ohne Gott
- 2017 - Fack ju Göhte 3
- 2017 - This Crazy Heart
- 2018 - Nur Gott kann mich richten
- 2018 - Fünf Freunde und das Tal der Dinosaurier
- 2018 - Verpiss Dich, Schneewittchen!
- 2018 - Sauerkrautkoma
- 2018 - Asphaltgorillas
- 2018 - What about Adolf?
- 2019 - Eine ganz heiße Nummer 2.0
- 2019 - Leberkäsjunkie
- 2019 - Die drei !!!
- 2019 - Ostwind - Aris Ankunft
- 2019 - Kirschblüten & Dämonen
- 2019 - The Collini Case
- 2019 - Polar
- 2019 - Berlin, Berlin
- 2019 - The Silence
- 2019 - The Garden of Evening Mists
- 2019 - Hell Girl vs. DP x RK (DetectParty X Rampo Kitan): Told in the Dark
- 2019 - Perfect Secrets
- 2020 - Haven - Above Sky
- 2020 - Dragon Rider
- 2020 - Monster Hunter
- 2020 - Wrong Turn remake
- 2020 - ShiftBoys: The MH Rebels
- 2020 - Contra
- 2022 - KKG 16th: Granhowl Fantasy Adventure-rs
- TBA - Bungo Stray Dogs live-action film
- "Constantin Film ist erneut doppelter "Branchentiger"" [Constantin Film is once again a double "industry tiger"]. Presseportal (Press release) (in German). 6 April 2018. Retrieved 14 June 2019.
- "Box Office Deutschland". InsideKino. JAHRES & ALL-TIME CHARTS. Retrieved 14 June 2019.
- Busch, Anita (22 May 2017). "'Resident Evil' Franchise Reboot: James Wan On Board To Produce From Greg Russo Script". Deadline. Retrieved 14 June 2019.
- "Axed TV show Shadowhunters sweeps awards". BBC News. BBC News. 12 November 2018. Retrieved 14 June 2019.
- "IMDb: With Constantin Film (Sorted by Popularity Ascending)". IMDb. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- Bergfelder, Tim (2005). International Adventures: German Popular cinema and European Co-Productions in the 1960s. Berghahn Books.
- In den Wind geschrieben. Der Spiegel, 46/1977
- "Constantin Film AG". presseportal.de (in German). Retrieved 2019-01-21.
- "Oliver Berben wechselt in das Vorstandsteam der Constantin Film". presseportal.de (in German). Retrieved 2019-01-21.
- Hermanns, Grant (October 15, 2018). "Wrong Turn Remake in the Works at Constantin Film". Coming Soon. Retrieved October 16, 2018.
- "Bungo Stray Dogs Stage Plays Gets Live-Action Film". Anime News Network. Retrieved July 12, 2019.