Constantine Phipps, 3rd Marquess of Normanby
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
He was born on 29 August 1846, the eldest son of George Phipps, 2nd Marquess of Normanby and Laura Russell.
On the death of his father on 3 April 1890, he succeeded to the title of Marquess of Normanby, having previously been styled Earl of Mulgrave.
On 30 December 1903, he married Gertrude Stansfeld Foster, OBE, DGStJ, daughter of Johnston Jonas Foster, of Moor Park, Ludlow, Shropshire. They had the following children:
- Lady Katharine Phipps (b. 7 January 1905, died 1960), married to Roy Amon Harding
- Lady (Gertrude) Elizabeth Phipps (b. 30 April 1908, died 1985), married to Admiral Sir William Davis
- Oswald Constantine John Phipps, 4th Marquess of Normanby (29 July 1912 – 30 January 1994)
He was succeeded in the title by his son Oswald Phipps, 4th Marquess of Normanby. His widow died on 12 March 1948.
He was educated at University of Durham and was awarded an MA. He was ordained by the Archbishop of York in 1870. In addition to his ecclesiastical positions, he was also Lieutenant-Colonel of the North Riding Volunteer Regiment.
He was subsequently appointed:
- Assistant curate at Lythe, 1871
- Vicar of Worsley with Ellenbrook Chapel, Lancashire, 1872 – 1890
- Commissary for the Anglican Diocese of New Westminster, 1879 – 1897
- Chaplain to All Saints’ Church, San Remo, Italy, 1884 – 1893
- Chaplain to the Archbishop of York, 1891 – 1897
- Chaplain to York Lay Readers, 1910
He was appointed to the ninth stall in St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle in 1891, a position he held until he resigned in 1907.
- Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer – Friday 26 August 1932 p.10
- Fasti Wyndesorienses, May 1950. S. L. Ollard. Published by the Dean and Canons of St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle
- The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom. Cokayne, Gibbs, Doubleday, White, Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden.
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
George Augustus Constantine Phipps
| Marquess of Normanby
Oswald Constantine John Phipps