Constellation Theatre Company
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Constellation Theatre Company Logo
|Purpose||Epic, ensemble theatre from around the world|
|Allison Arkell Stockman (Founding Artistic Director)|
The Constellation Theatre Company is a non-profit theater company located in Washington, D.C. It performs at the Source Theatre in Washington D.C. Its declared mission is "to spark the curiosity and imagination of the people of Greater Washington, DC by bringing stories to life from all over the world. We open our creative process to the community and encourage a dynamic exchange of ideas. We cultivate interdisciplinary collaboration that unites the acting ensemble, the written word, visual spectacle, original music and movement to form an intimate and vibrant entertainment experience." Since its formation its productions have received several Helen Hayes Awards to include The John Aniello Award for Outstanding Emerging Theatre Company - 2009
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2013)|
The Constellation Theatre Company uses the facilities of Cultural D.C.'s Source Theatre at 1835 14th St NW. It features a 120-seat black box performance space The upper floor has a rehearsal room, conference room, and office space
Artistic Director and Associate Artists
Constellation Theatre Company's founding artistic director is Allison Arkell Stockman. A 1996 graduate of Princeton University and a 2001 graduate of Carnegie Mellon School of Drama, Allison was a freelance director in Washington, DC and New York City. In 2006 she quit her job as a teacher, took short-term jobs for a year, and then started the theater company in 2007.
Stockman has built a permanent company of "Constellation Associate Artists" including a number of actors who appear regularly with Constellation, and also the composer and performer Tom Teasley, who has provided original music for many of the company's productions, much of which has been recorded and issued on CD.
Constellation Theatre Company has, in addition, regularly brought in performers outside the normal theatre community and fostered intercompany collaboration within the community. According to another theatre company's artistic director Constellation Theatre's philosophy "supports the idea that theater isn’t competitive and that we should all be supporting each other absolutely. When we learn from each other and support each other, that sends a message and gives us all more theater all the time."
Notable Past Productions
- The Arabian Nights - This production received critical acclaim and brought the company to the notice of the Washington Theater going audiences.
- The Oresteia
- The Ramayana - This production was so well received that it was remounted.
- Metamorphoses - The pool required by this production made it extremely challenging technically.
- Zorro - The company's first world premier production.
- 2015-2016 Season - Playtime for Grownups
- 2014-2015 Season
- 2013-2014 Season
- 2012-2013 Season
- 2008-2009 Season
- The Marriage of Figaro
- 2007-2008 Season
In September 2013, the American Theatre Wing, (the Founder of the Tony Awards) awarded a National Theatre Company Grant to Constellation Theatre. The grant is for general operating support to companies that "have articulated a distinctive mission, cultivated an audience, and nurtured a community of artists in ways that strengthen and demonstrate the quality, diversity, and dynamism of American theatre".
The specific award citation read
- Constellation Theatre Company's mission is to spark the curiosity and imagination of their audiences by bringing stories to life from all over the world. By opening their creative process to the community, the company cultivates interdisciplinary collaboration that unites the acting ensemble, the written word, visual spectacle, original music and movement to form an intimate and vibrant entertainment experience. 
The Constellation Theatre Company and its productions have been awarded the following Helen Hayes Awards.
- 2009 - The John Aniello Award for Outstanding Emerging Theatre Company
- 2010 - Outstanding Sound Design, Resident Production, Tom Teasley, Crazyface
- 2011 - Outstanding Sound Design, Resident Production, Tom Teasley, The Ramayana
- 2012 - Outstanding Costume Design, Resident Production, Kendra Rai, Green Bird
- 2013 - The James MacArthur Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor Resident Play , Matthew McGee, Taking Steps
In addition the following performer was nominated for Helen Hayes Awards
- 2012 - Outstanding Sound Design, Resident Production, Tom Teasley, Green Bird
- 2013 - Outstanding Set Design, Resident Production, AJ Guban, 36 Views
- 2013 - Outstanding Lighting Design, Resident Production, AJ Guban, 36 Views
The Constellation Theatre Company was nominated for the following Audience Choice Awards
- 2008 Crazyface (Favorite Ensemble)
- 2009 Three Sisters (Favorite Plays, Favorite Actress in a Play)
- 2013 Taking Steps (Best Play, Best Actor in a Play), Zorro (Best Ensemble Cast, Best Actor in a Play) 
Costume Designer Kendra Rai was awarded a 2014 Princess Grace Foundation honorarium to be used for the company's 2014-2015 season costumes
- "Constellation Theatre Company Mission and History". Constellation Theatre Company. Retrieved February 7, 2013.
- "Source Rental". Cultural D.C. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Jacobson, Louis (7 March 2012). "The D.C. theater scene". The Princeton Alumni Weekly. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- Merry, Stephanie (16 January 2014). "It takes a village to mount ‘Scapin’ at Constellation". The Washington Post. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- Playtime for Grownups - 2015-2016 Season Mailing. Constellation Theatre Company. July 2015.
- Treanor, Lorraine (21 June 2007). "A Dream Play". DCtheatrescene.com. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- Pressley, Nelson (6 October 2007). "Constellation Sparkles In 'Arabian Nights'". The Washington Post. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- Horwitz, Jane (April 9, 2008). "Bertolt Brecht's Human Touch Constellation's 'Good Woman of Setzuan' Isn't About Isms". The Washington Post. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- "American Theatre Wing Reveals Recipients of 2013 National Theatre Company Grants". broadwayworld.com. 3 September 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "National Theatre Company Grants: Recipients 2013". American Theatre Wing. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "HHA Nominees & Recipients". theatreWashington. Retrieved February 7, 2013.
- Pressley, Nelson (8 April 2013). "The 29th Annual Helen Hayes Awards Recipients". The Washington Post. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- Treanor, Loraine. "Audience Choice Awards – 2008/09 Season". dctheatrescene.com. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- Treanor, Lorraine. "Voting ends tonight for Audience Choice Awards". dctheatrescene. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- Treanor, Lorraine. "Audience Choice Awards 2012-2013". DC Theatre Scene. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- "Theater Honoraria: Kendra Rai". pgfusa.com. Princess Grace Foundation-USA. Retrieved 21 August 2014.