Constitutional history of Turkey
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
Part of a series on the
|History of Turkey|
The Turkish constitution was ratified in 1921, revised in 1924, 1961, 1982, and most recently in 2010. A proposal for yet another constitution is being discussed, to allow Turkey to comply with EU accession political criteria.
- 1808: Sened-i İttifak prepared by Alemdar Mustafa Pasha, in period of Mahmud II was signed on September 29, among Rumelian and Anatolian chief men and the Ottoman State in order to make the central authority dominant over the provinces.
- 1839: Imperial Edict of Reorganization prepared by Mustafa Reshid Pasha on November 3, during the rule of Abdulmejid I.
- 1856: Hatt-ı Hümayun that a complementary and reinforcing edict by Abdülmecit.
- 1876: Ottoman constitution of 1876, during the First Constitutional Era of the Ottoman Empire (1876–78).
- 1909: Revisions to the 1876 constitution during the Second Constitutional Era of the Ottoman Empire (1908–20).
- 1921: 1921 Constitution; first constitution of the Republic of Turkey; introduced a single chamber of legislation, the Grand National Assembly, to form a unicameral system.
- 1924: Revised constitution of 1924.
- 1961: 1961 constitution; introduced an upper chamber of legislation, the Senate, to form a bicameral system.
- 1982: 1982 constitution; abolished the Senate, reverting to a unicameral system.
- 2017: Revisions to the 1982 constitution; introduced a presidential system; abolished the office of Prime Minister.
- 1961 Turkish constitutional referendum
- 1982 Turkish constitutional referendum
- 2007 Turkish constitutional referendum
- 2010 Turkish constitutional referendum
- 2017 Turkish constitutional referendum
- The Grand National Assembly of Turkey (2016-07-15). "Constitution Of The Republic Of Turkey" (PDF). Constitution Of The Republic Of Turkey. The Grand National Assembly of Turkey. Chapter Three, Section I, Article 41, Para 3-4. Retrieved 2016-07-15.
- "Draft proposal" (in Turkish). 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-12-16. Retrieved 2008-01-01.
- Yavuz, Ercan (2008-01-01). "New constitution to dominate 2008". Zaman. Retrieved 2008-01-01.
Media related to Ottoman Empire at Wikimedia Commons
|This Turkish history-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|