Though she has no training in fashion, she founded the fashion label Marni in 1994, and the line has recently risen to prominence. She is married to Gianni Castiglioni, who is Marni's CEO. Their daughter Carolina runs the online store, and is the brand's special projects' director.
In 2009 she worked with Kim Gordon on geometric designs for Marni. The brand now exceeds $100 million sales per year and is worn by celebrities such as Cindy Sherman, Kyra Sedgwick and Gwyneth Paltrow. Castiglioni was ranked in the 2010 “100 most creative people in business”.
In 2013, the brand launched its first, eponymous, fragrance.
- Rushton, Susie (27 March 2007). "Behind every Marni is a great woman". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "Creative Chic." Vogue (May 2007): 258-259, 303-304.
- "Fashion Upstart Leaves Family Business to Create Brand." Shanghai Daily (April 18, 2006).
- "STYLE FEATURE: 'marni ss10'". Glass Magazine. 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-21.
- "Consuelo Castiglioni – Most Creative People 2010". Fast Company. 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-05.
- Attwood, Naomi (11 February 2013). "The scent of Marni: Italian label launches its first fragrance". Independent. London.