Consulate-General of Japan in Chennai
|Consulate-General of Japan in Chennai
Zai Chennai Nihonkoku So Ryojikan
Imperial Seal of Japan
|Ministry of Foreign Affairs|
The Consulate-General of Japan in Chennai (Japanese: 在チェンナイ日本国総領事館) is the mission of Japan in South India, representing the interests of the Japanese government in the region. The current consul general is Seiji Baba . He succeeds Masanori Nakano .
The Chennai Consulate General covers the southern Indian states of Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala and the union territory of Puducherry. In April 2008, the Consulate General established the Consulate of Japan at Bangalore to administer the state of Karnataka. The Consulate General reports to the Embassy of Japan at New Delhi.
List of consul generals
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (March 2012)|
- Masayuki Makiya (2001)
- Yoshiaki Kodaki
- Kazuo Minagawa (April 2007 – May 2011)
- Masanori Nakano (May 2011–Feb 2015)
- Seiji Baba (Feb 2015–present)
In 2001, the Consulate General provided a grant of US$76,024 to the Hindu Mission Hospital in Chennai towards purchase of modern medical equipments. The facilities were inaugurated by the then Consul General Masayuki Makiya.
Japanese in the region
In 2007, the number of Japanese companies in South India was 160 and the number of Japanese nationals was 680. In 2011, the figures increased to 490 and 1,240, respectively. In Tamil Nadu, the number of Japanese companies almost quadrupled from 65 to 240.
The Japanese population in Chennai is close to 500, with more than 200 Japanese companies. Chennai is home to 30 percent of Japanese firms operating in India. About 1,422 Japanese companies have operational bases in India, of which 286 are in Tamil Nadu. Chennai has 20.11 per cent of the total number of bases, the largest share. In the three years from 2008 to 2011, the number of Japanese companies that had invested in the state increased to 70 from just 12 in 2008. Tamil Nadu has seen 245 companies by October 2011, from 77 companies in 2008, apart from about 60-representative offices of Japanese firms.
- List of diplomatic missions in Chennai
- List of diplomatic missions of Japan
- Foreign relations of Japan
- India–Japan relations
- Foreign relations of India
- "Greetings from the Consul-General, Mr. Kazuo Minagawa". Consulate-General of Japan in Chennai. Retrieved 1 Mar 2012.
- "Industrial Projects". TPSC India. Retrieved 20 Feb 2012.
- "Visa services at Japanese Consulate in Bangalore". Business Line. Bangalore: The Hindu. 27 May 2009. Retrieved 20 Feb 2012.
- "Milestones". Hindu Mission Hospital. Retrieved 5 Apr 2013.
- Roy, Vaishna (17 March 2011). "Japanese community in Chennai on tenterhooks". Daily News & Analysis. Chennai: DNAIndia.com. Retrieved 27 Feb 2012.
- Shivakumar, C. (27 July 2011). "Mahabalipuram: Japan set to build industrial hub". The New Indian Express. Chennai: The New Indian Express. Retrieved 17 Feb 2012.
- "Ennore-Manali road project to be put on fast track". The Hindu. Chennai: The Hindu. 12 February 2012. Retrieved 20 Feb 2012.
- "Jayalalithaa woos Japanese investors". South Asia Mail. South Asia Mail. Retrieved 28 Feb 2012.
- "More Japanese cos evince interest in AP". Business Standard. Chennai/Hyderabad: Business Standard. 18 November 2011. Retrieved 28 Feb 2012.
- "Indo-Japan Chamber of Commerce and Industry mulls to organise events to strengthen bilateral relations". SME News. Chennai: Indiamart.com. 23 January 2012. Retrieved 28 Feb 2012.