Consulate General of the United States, Hong Kong and Macau
|Consulate General of the United States,
Hong Kong and Macau
|Address||No. 26, Garden Road,
Hong Kong Island,
|Ambassador||Kurt W. Tong (Consul General)|
Due to Hong Kong and Macau's special status, the U.S. Consulate General to Hong Kong operates as an independent mission, with the Consul General as the "Chief of Mission". Unlike other Consuls-General, they have the title of "Ambassador."
Consequently, the Consul General to Hong Kong and Macau is not under the jurisdiction of the United States Ambassador to China, and reports directly to the U.S. Department of State as do other Chiefs of Mission, who are Ambassadors in charge of Embassies.
All recent Consuls-General are at the Career Minister rank in the U.S. Senior Foreign Service, whereas many other Ambassadors are only Minister Counsellor.
List of U.S. Consuls-General for Hong Kong and Macau
||It has been suggested that this section be split out into another article titled United States Consul General to Hong Kong and Macau. (Discuss) (September 2014)|
- Frederick Busch (Consul 1843) 
- James Keenan (Consul 1853-62)
- David H. Bailey (Consul 1874)
- Dr. Robert Morris Tindall (Consul 1874)
- H. Selden Loring (Vice Consul 1874)
- John S. Mosby (1878–85)
- Beverly Clarke Mosby (Vice & Deputy Consul 1884)
- Robert E. Withers (1885-1889)
- William E. Hunt (Consul 1897)
- Rounsevelle Wildman (Consul General 1897)
- John A. Hunt (Vice & Deputy Consul 1897)
- Edwin Wildman (Vice & Deputy Consul General 1898) 
- William A. Rublee (1901-?)
- Edward S. Bragg (1903–1906)[not in citation given]
- Harry M. Hobbins (Vice & Deputy Consul General 1904-05)
- Wilbur T. Gracey (Vice & Deputy Consul General 1905-06)
- Stuart J. Fuller (Vice Consul 1906-10)
- Amos Parker Wilder (Consul General 1906-09)
- George E. Anderson (Consul General 1910-20)
- Algar E. Carleton (Vice & Deputy Consul General 1910-11)
- John B. Sawyer (Vice Consul 1911-14)
- John B. Sawyer (Vice Consul 1915-17)
- Leighton Hope (Vice Consul 1917)
- Algar E. Carleton (Vice Consul 1917)
- Hugh S. Miller (Vice Consul 1921-22)
- Verne S. Staten (Vice Consul 1921)
- Leighton Hope (Consul 1921)
- William H. Gale (Consul General 1921-24)
- William J. McCafferty (Vice Consul 1921-23)
- John B. Sawyer (Vice Consul 1921)
- Francis O. Seidle (Vice Consul 1922)
- William J. McCafferty (Consul 1923)
- Leroy Webber (Vice Consul 1924)
- William J. McCafferty (Consul 1924)
- Maurice Walk (Vice Consul 1924)
- Jake R. Summers (Vice Consul 1924)
- Roger C. Tredwell (Consul General 1925-29)
- Lynn W. Franklin (Consul 1925)
- John J. Muccio (Vice Consul 1926)
- Harold Shantz (Consul 1926-29)
- Kenneth C. Krentz (Vice Consul 1926-32)
- Lynn W. Franklin (Consul 1926-27)
- John J. Muccio (Consul 1927-29)
- Perry N. Jester (Vice Consul 1928-31)
- Cecil B. Lyon (Vice Consul 1932)
- Donald D. Edgar (Vice Consul 1932)
- John R. Putnam (Consul 1932)
- George Bliss Lane (Vice Consul 1932)
- Douglas Jenkins (Consul General 1932)
- Addison E. Southard (Consul General 1938)
- Karl L. Rankin (October 1949 – August 1950) 
- Walter P. McConaughy (August 1950 – June 1952)
- Julian F. Harrington (July 1952 – December 1954)
- Everett F. Drumright (December 1954 – March 1958)
- James Pilcher (March 1958 – March 1959)
- John M. Steeves (March 1959 – August 1959)
- Ambassador Julius C. Holmes (September 1959 – March 1961)
- Sam P. Gilstrap (April 1961 – October 1961)
- Marshall Green (November 1961 – August 1963)
- Edward E. Rice (February 1964 – September 1967)
- Edwin W. Martin (October 1967 – July 1970)
- David L. Osborn (August 1970 – March 1974)
- Ambassador Charles T. Cross (March 1974 – September 1977)
- Thomas P. Shoesmith (October 1977 – October 1981)
- Burton Levin (February 1982 – July 1986)
- Donald M. Anderson (July 1986 – June 1990)
- Ambassador Richard L. Williams (June 1990 – June 1993)
- Richard W. Mueller (June 1993 – July 1996)
- Ambassador Richard A. Boucher (August 1996 – July 1999)
- Ambassador Michael Klosson (August 1999 – July 2002)
- James R. Keith (August 2002 – April 2005)
- Ambassador James B. Cunningham (4 August 2005 – July 2008)
- Ambassador Joseph R. Donovan, Jr. (August 2008 – July 2009)
- Christopher J. Marut (Acting Consul General) (July 2009 – February 2010)
- Ambassador Stephen M. Young (March 2010 - July 2013)
- Ambassador Clifford A. Hart (July 2013 – July 2016)
- Ambassador Kurt W. Tong (July 2016 – current)
- British Consulate-General, Hong Kong
- Canadian Consulate-General, Hong Kong (Commission of Canada, Hong Kong prior to 1997)
- Consular missions in Hong Kong
- Diplomatic missions of the United States
- Hong Kong–United States relations
- United States–Hong Kong Policy Act
- Americans in Hong Kong
- Americans in China
- Consulate General of the United States Hong Kong & Macau (1999-08-02). "Statements on NATO Bombing of China's Embassy in Belgrade". U.S. Department of State. Archived from the original on 1999-10-13. Retrieved 2006-10-04.
- The Consulate-General's official name is shown as 'Consulate General of the United States, Hong Kong and Macau' on its web-site (http://hongkong.usconsulate.gov)
- Consulate General of the United States Hong Kong & Macau. "About us". Archived from the original on 2006-09-22.
- "Consul General | Hong Kong & Macau - Consulate General of the United States". hongkong.usconsulate.gov. Retrieved 2016-09-14.
- "Chiefs of Mission". U.S. Department of State.
- "Christopher J. Marut Appointed as Director of the Taipei Office of the American Institute in Taiwan" (Press release). American Institute in Taiwan. 2012-05-08.[permanent dead link]
- "U.S. consular officials in Hong Kong". The Political Graveyard.
- The London Gazette: . 7 May 1901.
- "List of former Consuls-General". Archived from the original on May 13, 2007.
- "US Consul General in Hong Kong". NNDB.
- "About Us: History". Consulate General of the United States Hong Kong & Macau.
- "Julius Cecil Holmes - Brigadier General, United States Army - American Diplomat".
- "Index to Politicians: Williams, O to R". The Political Graveyard.
- "Richard Mueller". Hong Kong International School new Head of School. Archived from the original on 2011-07-21.
- "Announcement of Stephen M. Young as New Consul General of the United States of America in Hong Kong". Consulate General of the United States Hong Kong & Macau. Archived from the original on 2012-02-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Consulate-General of the United States in Hong Kong.|