|Edited by||Ruth Livingston and Don Greif|
For decades, the journal, which was founded in 1964, was the only one to publish articles from all schools of psychoanalysis, including interpersonal, relational, Freudian, Jungian, and Object Relations. It also publishes empirical research about human development and unconscious process.
The current editors-in-chief are Ruth Livingston and Don Greif. The journal has featured articles on interpersonal processes and intersubjectivity by authors such as Stephen Mitchell, Harold Searles, Edgar Levenson, Benjamin Wolstein, Joyce McDougall, Philip Bromberg, Irwin Hoffman, Jessica Benjamin, Silvano Arieti, Darlene Ehrenberg, Donnel Stern, and James Grotstein. It has published articles on psychoanalytic perspectives on prejudice due to race, sexuality, and religion. There have been discussions of contemporary psychodynamic approaches to depression from the perspective of the patient and clinician.
The journal is owned by the William Alanson White Institute and Society.
- Searles, Harold F. (July 1977). "The Analyst's Participant Observation as Influenced by the Patient's Transference". Contemporary Psychoanalysis. 13 (3): 367–371. doi:10.1080/00107530.1977.10745496.
- Hoffman, Irwin Z. (July 1983). "The Patient as Interpreter of the Analyst's Experience". Contemporary Psychoanalysis. 19 (3): 389–422. doi:10.1080/00107530.1983.10746615.
- White, Kathleen Pogue (July 2002). "Surviving Hating and Being Hated". Contemporary Psychoanalysis. 38 (3): 401–422. doi:10.1080/00107530.2002.10747173.
- Blechner, Mark J. (April 2009). "The Role of Prejudice in Psychopathology and Psychoanalytic History". Contemporary Psychoanalysis. 45 (2): 239–250. doi:10.1080/00107530.2009.10745997.
- Spiegel, Rose; Chrzanowski, Gerard; Feiner, Arthur H. (October 1975). "On Psychoanalysis in the Third Reich". Contemporary Psychoanalysis. 11 (4): 477–510. doi:10.1080/00107530.1975.10745407.
- Solomon, Andrew (October 2008). "Depression, Too, is a Thing with Feathers". Contemporary Psychoanalysis. 44 (4): 509–530. doi:10.1080/00107530.2008.10745973.
- O'Leary, John V. (October 2008). "Putting it Together While Falling Apart". Contemporary Psychoanalysis. 44 (4): 531–550. doi:10.1080/00107530.2008.10745974.